Spear of Destiny World Service @ 35 Tour

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

MiB81
The Raven
The Raven

Spear of Destiny World Service @ 35 Tour

Post by MiB81 »

I attended my first post Covid gig last night; Spear of Destiny World Service @ 35 Tour at the Oran Mor
in Glasgow's west end. First time I saw the band was the original World Service Tour at Strathclyde University
back in1984 and that was probly one of the best gigs I can remember so it was all a bit emotional.
The band, a bit of a super-group these day, what with it containing past members of Spear, Theatre of Hate,
Sisters of Mercy, The Mission, The Cult, New Model Army and Sex Gang Children (and that's just 3 of the 5
man line up!) played a blinder ((c) Stranglers gigs) and it was great to hear the sax played
along with the classic tunes- it took me a good couple of bars to recognise what turned out to be a cracking
version of JD's Transmission too (was that a nod towards the fact that the town was heaving with bams tonight,
all off to see Liam G at the TRNSMT festival?)
Covid-wise, things felt pretty safe at the probly 8/10ths full gig, although during an encore Kirk did reach
into the crown to grab an offered pint which he then took a swig from. Probly best if we don't tell Nicola.
...I'm making lists of all the people I love,
and all the cunts that should fuck off...
MiB81
The Raven
The Raven

Re: Spear of Destiny World Service @ 35 Tour

Post by MiB81 »

Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

MiB81 wrote: 12 Sep 2021, 14:12 I attended my first post Covid gig last night; Spear of Destiny World Service @ 35 Tour at the Oran Mor
in Glasgow's west end. First time I saw the band was the original World Service Tour at Strathclyde University
back in1984 and that was probly one of the best gigs I can remember so it was all a bit emotional.
The band, a bit of a super-group these day, what with it containing past members of Spear, Theatre of Hate,
Sisters of Mercy, The Mission, The Cult, New Model Army and Sex Gang Children (and that's just 3 of the 5
man line up!) played a blinder ((c) Stranglers gigs) and it was great to hear the sax played
along with the classic tunes- it took me a good couple of bars to recognise what turned out to be a cracking
version of JD's Transmission too (was that a nod towards the fact that the town was heaving with bams tonight,
Covid-wise, things felt pretty safe at the probly 8/10ths full gig, although during an encore Kirk did reach
into the crown to grab an offered pint which he then took a swig from. Probly best if we don't tell Nicola.
Thanks for that, my second favourite band is Spear and TOH, so wanted to see them, but can't go to gigs at that moment, gutted I couldn't see them, Kirks voice is still amazing, but he has dropped an octave, so he told me a few years ago. Lt Kudu.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

MiB81 wrote: 12 Sep 2021, 14:12 I attended my first post Covid gig last night; Spear of Destiny World Service @ 35 Tour at the Oran Mor
Was it Stan Stammers on bass? Didn't look like Craig Adams. Lt Kudu.
MiB81
The Raven
The Raven

Post by MiB81 »

Greatkudu wrote: 25 Sep 2021, 21:05
Was it Stan Stammers on bass? Didn't look like Craig Adams. Lt Kudu.
He had a hat on for the gig but deffo Adams on bass :wink:
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Greatkudu wrote: 25 Sep 2021, 21:02
Thanks for that, my second favourite band is Spear and TOH, so wanted to see them, but can't go to gigs at that moment, gutted I couldn't see them, Kirks voice is still amazing, but he has dropped an octave, so he told me a few years ago. Lt Kudu.
OK thanks for that, so sad I can't see them, Kirks pipes sounding in fine working order. Lt Kudu