The Jam some good songs but rather boring imho

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: The Jam some good songs but rather boring imho

Post by StanInBlack »

From the "In the City" single up to the "Beat Surrender" single (their entire lifespan, basically) The Jam barely put a foot wrong. The Direction Reaction Creation box set from the '90s featuring pretty much everything they ever released is great value for money, and like it or not the band meant a great deal to a hell of a lot of people and still do. It's pointless comparing The Jam with The Stranglers because they're two very different bands, and it's possible to like both for very different reasons and I do. The Jam were all about "traditional" songwriting and Weller truly mastered the art of the single during that era ("Strange Town"/"The Butterfly Collector", for example, or "Going Underground"/"The Dreams of Children" etc.), whereas The Stranglers were far more exploratory.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Greatkudu wrote: 31 Oct 2020, 10:48
OK a rather pointless thread as its all opinions, but saw a documentary about the Jam last night and after they showed Rockpalast from 1980,and to be honest it bored me, I fell asleep, it got me thinking, I think they were vastly overrated, of course some great songs but generally just very samey, I was comparing the Stranglers Rockpalast 1983 performance and even though its not the best performance it blows away the Jam in every way and of course you have Hugh and his infamous banter, Weller just had no character or charisma, but just my thoughts as so many people rage about the Jam to me, sadly I just don't get it. Lt Kudu over and out.
Yeah ...can see what your saying about the jam '80 rockpalast compared to the stranglers '83 agreed...the stranglers were on another level for me too.
But i have always liked the Jam with paul in it...hated the stlye council but do like alot of his solo work.But yeh i agree about the '83 Rockpalast gig even though the stranglers of ' 81 hammersmith odeon blew anybody out of the water for me even themselves in '83 Rockpalast.....lol
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

toilerinblack wrote: 03 Nov 2020, 00:03
OK a rather pointless thread as its all opinions, but saw a documentary about the Jam last night and after they showed Rockpalast from 1980,and to be honest it bored me, I fell asleep, it got me thinking, I think they were vastly overrated, of course some great songs but generally just very samey, I was comparing the Stranglers Rockpalast 1983 performance and even though its not the best performance it blows away the Jam in every way and of course you have Hugh and his infamous banter, Weller just had no character or charisma, but just my thoughts as so many people rage about the Jam to me, sadly I just don't get it. Lt Kudu over and out.
Yeah ...can see what your saying about the jam '80 rockpalast compared to the stranglers '83 agreed...the stranglers were on another level for me too.
But i have always liked the Jam with paul in it...hated the stlye council but do like alot of his solo work.But yeh i agree about the '83 Rockpalast gig even though the stranglers of ' 81 hammersmith odeon blew anybody out of the water for me even themselves in '83 Rockpalast.....lol
Yes I like some Jam stuff but think they were vastly overrated and I loathe Town Like Malice, the Stranglers Rockpalast isn't even their best gig but still blows away most bands, I don't like Weller much or didn't, but always liked Foxton and Buckler, I just find the Jam songs very samey to be honest, but down in the tube station at midnight is their Magnus opus, so you see I do have balance. Lt Kudu.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Greatkudu wrote: 03 Nov 2020, 01:06
toilerinblack wrote: 03 Nov 2020, 00:03
Yes I like some Jam stuff but think they were vastly overrated and I loathe Town Like Malice, the Stranglers Rockpalast isn't even their best gig but still blows away most bands, I don't like Weller much or didn't, but always liked Foxton and Buckler, I just find the Jam songs very samey to be honest, but down in the tube station at midnight is their Magnus opus, so you see I do have balance. Lt Kudu.
Yeh Your right the jam were a bit very the samey thats what the stranglers for me has made them made them stand out from the rest over the decades is that they were never too frightened to try something new.
Sinister
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Sinister »

I quite liked the Jam, they were good at what they did and Foxton is a great bass player.
Whooo's there in the shadows
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

They just did one thing but did it good-ish

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Y'see, I don't agree that The Jam were "samey" at all. "In the City" does not sound like "Precious", "Scrape Away" does not sound like "Going Underground", "The Bitterest Pill" doesn't sound like "Set the House Ablaze" etc.

I get that this is a Stranglers forum and naturally there's going to be bias, but comparing The Jam at their live peak against an off-the-boil Stranglers and saying the latter were objectively better is hilarious.
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by aldinblack »

StanInBlack wrote:Y'see, I don't agree that The Jam were "samey" at all. "In the City" does not sound like "Precious", "Scrape Away" does not sound like "Going Underground", "The Bitterest Pill" doesn't sound like "Set the House Ablaze" etc.

I get that this is a Stranglers form and naturally there's going to be bias, but comparing The Jam at their live peak against an off-the-boil Stranglers and saying the latter were objectively better is hilarious.
Set The House Ablaze is a superb track and the best on Sound Affects imo. It is their epic track, of course the Stranglers did it regularly on every album and that is another thing that sets them apart from everyone else..

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

I Hate You !
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

It wasn't meant to be stranglers v Jam that's silly as different bands, I'm sorry I still stand by my view that they were overrated, but I except others disagree, it was really after watching the Jam rockpalast where I was so bored I fell asleep, last on this a few great songs. Lt Kudu.
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by aldinblack »

Greatkudu wrote:It wasn't meant to be stranglers v Jam that's silly as different bands, I'm sorry I still stand by my view that they were overrated, but I except others disagree, it was really after watching the Jam rockpalast where I was so bored I fell asleep, last on this a few great songs. Lt Kudu.
you fell asleep lol

The Jam overated maybe, but then the Stranglers are underrated so maybe that's part of the "problem" ?

I Hate You !
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

aldinblack wrote: 03 Nov 2020, 18:03
Greatkudu wrote:It wasn't meant to be stranglers v Jam that's silly as different bands, I'm sorry I still stand by my view that they were overrated, but I except others disagree, it was really after watching the Jam rockpalast where I was so bored I fell asleep, last on this a few great songs. Lt Kudu.
you fell asleep lol

The Jam overated maybe, but then the Stranglers are underrated so maybe that's part of the "problem" ?

You have hit the nail on the head, spot on Sir. Lt Kudu.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

aldinblack wrote: 03 Nov 2020, 10:21 Set The House Ablaze is a superb track and the best on Sound Affects imo. It is their epic track, of course the Stranglers did it regularly on every album and that is another thing that sets them apart from everyone else..
I agree - up there with Funeral Pyre as one of the most intense things they ever did, and you're right about it being their "epic", although In the Crowd is probably longer. There's not many Jam songs that go past the 4 minute mark, and only one or two go past the 5 minute mark - it's not what they were all about, really... whereas The Stranglers allowed themselves to be more indulgent.

I was just saying to Jim the other night that I wish The Stranglers at their peak had tried to pull off a side-long epic like The Damned did with "Curtain Call" ... I reckon they had something like that in 'em.

One thing that The Jam and The Stranglers have in common is that Jon Savage disliked both, and he was fucking wrong about both.