The Jam some good songs but rather boring imho

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: The Jam some good songs but rather boring imho

Post by StanInBlack »

It's very difficult for me to choose a favourite Jam album as I like them all, and the non-album singles (as well as their b-sides) were always top notch. I think if I really, REALLY had to choose one, I'd probably choose Sound Affects which is a bit of a unique one in their discography. I suppose you could view In the City and This is the Modern World as "part one" and "part two" of that particular phase of The Jam, and the same with All Mod Cons and Setting Sons, but Sound Affects was something a bit different with some post-punk influences seeping into the music which would come to a head on the Funeral Pyre single, and then suddenly they left that all behind and switched again with the Absolute Beginners single and The Gift album, which was basically when Weller started diving deeper into soul music etc.
Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Arthur Streeb-Greebling »

What’s everyone’s Fave Jam song?

Although it’s not on my fave Jam album ‘Setting Sons’ and it’s hard to beat some of their singles but ‘Man In The Corner Shop’ is my fave.

Great lyrics, great melody, great song. Absolutely love it.
8)
Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Homer wrote: 06 Nov 2020, 00:29
Arthur Streeb-Greebling wrote: 05 Nov 2020, 01:11 They are all superb to my ears, my fave being ‘Setting Sons’ which I believe is not a fave of Weller’s, but what does he know eh?
Have to agree, most people rate AMC's as they're best album, but I much prefer 'Setting Sons' ... must listen to it every couple of weeks if not weekly.

Best track for me is 'Private Hell' ... lyrics and delivery are excellent, can't beat it lyrically or musically. of course I was a 'Saturday Kid' literally ....whole album is superb to me.

I kinda wained off them by the time 'The Gift' came out .... turned a bit mainstream for me. As previously stated, I only ever seen them once when I was 17 (at their peak) and will never forget it.
Private Hell and especially Saturdays Kids for me, Girl on the Phone & Thick as Thieves too.
But Saturdays kids yeah that is a seriously top songs of theirs. Another fave.
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by aldinblack »

Arthur Streeb-Greebling wrote:What’s everyone’s Fave Jam song?

Although it’s not on my fave Jam album ‘Setting Sons’ and it’s hard to beat some of their singles but ‘Man In The Corner Shop’ is my fave.

8)
La la la, la la.
La la la la la, la la la.

La la la la la....la la la la la, la la la la......

yep its a classic

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

I Hate You !
Dom P
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by Dom P »

I love The Jam, and Weller, Saw them three times ... and I used to freeze to death alongside him at Bay 66 under the Westway watching our sons on their scooters .... BUT, I reckon his dad wrote all the lyrics, it's obvious...who the fuck could write this at 17?

\Or any of the stuff on Setting Sons... not like he'd been working in an office and was bored of the status quo... love it but suspicious!

Things are getting just too cozy for me
And I see people as they see me
Gonna break away and gain control
You free your mind
You free your soul
I was the type who knocked at old men
(History's easy)
Who together at tables sit and drink beer
(Somewhere is really)
Then I saw that I was really the same
So this link's breaking away from the chain
Away from the numbers
Away from the numbers
Is where I'm gonna be
Away from the numbers
Away from the numbers
Is where I am free
Away from the numbers (away from the numbers)
Away from the numbers
Is where I'm gonna be
I was sick and tired of my little niche
Was gonna break away and find where life is
And all those fools I thought were my friends
(Coaching is easy)
They now stare at me and don't see a thing
(Reality's so hard)…
"I think you guys are going to have to come up with some wonderful new lies, or people just aren't going to want to go on living." -- Slaughterhouse-Five
MiB81
The Raven
The Raven

Post by MiB81 »

Greatkudu wrote: 31 Oct 2020, 10:48 OK a rather pointless thread as its all opinions, but saw a documentary about the Jam last night and after they showed Rockpalast from 1980,and to be honest it bored me, I fell asleep, it got me thinking, I think they were vastly overrated, of course some great songs but generally just very samey, I was comparing the Stranglers Rockpalast 1983 performance and even though its not the best performance it blows away the Jam in every way and of course you have Hugh and his infamous banter, Weller just had no character or charisma, but just my thoughts as so many people rage about the Jam to me, sadly I just don't get it. Lt Kudu over and out.
The Jam- rather boring? Hardly relevant these days, innit?
The Jam were a class band with loads of classic songs, all, in this auld cunts opinion better than 99% of the
shite that passes for tunes these days. And they split when they were relevant, which is feckin awesome.
Oh, and I always thought The Strangs Rockpalast performance was sub standard too.
...I'm making lists of all the people I love,
and all the cunts that should fuck off...
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

MiB81 wrote: 14 Nov 2020, 18:48
Greatkudu wrote: 31 Oct 2020, 10:48 OK a rather pointless thread as its all opinions, but saw a documentary about the Jam last night and after they showed Rockpalast from 1980,and to be honest it bored me, I fell asleep, it got me thinking, I think they were vastly overrated, of course some great songs but generally just very samey, I was comparing the Stranglers Rockpalast 1983 performance and even though its not the best performance it blows away the Jam in every way and of course you have Hugh and his infamous banter, Weller just had no character or charisma, but just my thoughts as so many people rage about the Jam to me, sadly I just don't get it. Lt Kudu over and out.
The Jam- rather boring? Hardly relevant these days, innit?
The Jam were a class band with loads of classic songs, all, in this auld cunts opinion better than 99% of the
shite that passes for tunes these days. And they split when they were relevant, which is feckin awesome.
Oh, and I always thought The Strangs Rockpalast performance was sub standard too.
Well yes its opinion, and I stand by my view, the stranglers rockpalast was sub standard by stranglers standards but still blows away most bands on the planet, I still don't get the Jam sorry, as I said a few good tunes, but when you listen to Weller back in the day what he had to say was hardly enlightening, bands i do get or did were The Buzzcocks, theatre of Hate, Spear of Destiny, the Damned, Kraftwerk, early Meteors, Ruts and Ruts DC, I could go on but sadly the Jam just never inspired me with anything they wrote or said, the exception being Eton Rifles a very clever song, it wasn't intended to be Stranglers versus the Jam just my personal opinion on what I hear and think, as I believe this is what this forum is all about, and oh just for balance, down in the tubestation at midnight is a classic great song. Lt Kudu on ops in the suburbs.
Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

aldinblack wrote: 11 Nov 2020, 18:48
Arthur Streeb-Greebling wrote:What’s everyone’s Fave Jam song?

8)
La la la, la la.
La la la la la, la la la.

La la la la la....la la la la la, la la la la......

yep its a classic

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
:P
kenl
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by kenl »

Saw the Jam at the Glasgow Apollo in November 78. Great gig.
Really liked their early stuff but (considering myself a punk) I fell away from them when the parka brigade appeared.

AMC and Setting Sons especially are classic albums. Setting Sons is one of my favourite albums.
Down in the Tube Station is my favourite Jam song.
Bizarre how they never reformed.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

kenl wrote: 04 Feb 2021, 21:00 Bizarre how they never reformed.
I'm glad they didn't, I think a reformed Jam would have been a terrible idea at any time really, and the break-up of the Jam allowed Weller to explore areas with The Style Council and his solo career that he would never have been able to do with The Jam.
jetblacksdad
Ugly
Ugly

Post by jetblacksdad »

kenl wrote: 04 Feb 2021, 21:00 Saw the Jam at the Glasgow Apollo in November 78. Great gig.
Really liked their early stuff but (considering myself a punk) I fell away from them when the parka brigade appeared.

AMC and Setting Sons especially are classic albums. Setting Sons is one of my favourite albums.
For me it's the opposite, did not like the first two albums really but from then on, hard to really fault. It was a great time for music when every week there would be a new Jam single, or Specials, or Ants, or Stranglers etc. Such a great period to be young and have a few pennies to buy singles .
Weller knows how to write a great pop song, and though he lost his way a bit here and there latterly, he is still capable of the odd blinder like Peacock Suit. I just can't get all the WellEnds. I hope you've all seen the GLC songs about that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8G0cwZyWmrU
+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

jetblacksdad wrote: 09 Feb 2021, 10:24
kenl wrote: 04 Feb 2021, 21:00 Saw the Jam at the Glasgow Apollo in November 78. Great gig.

For me it's the opposite, did not like the first two albums really but from then on, hard to really fault. It was a great time for music when every week there would be a new Jam single, or Specials, or Ants, or Stranglers etc. Such a great period to be young and have a few pennies to buy singles .
Weller knows how to write a great pop song, and though he lost his way a bit here and there latterly, he is still capable of the odd blinder like Peacock Suit. I just can't get all the WellEnds. I hope you've all seen the GLC songs about that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8G0cwZyWmrU
Very funny song. Lt Kudu.