Who is britians best ever punk band!

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Boody
Ugly
Ugly
Location: Arse end of commuter land, always looking for an escape

Re: Who is britians best ever punk band!

Post by Boody »

For a pure punk sound (to this day) U.K. Subs are certainly the great punk survivors. Last time I saw them was in a pub in High Wycombe around 18 months ago. Uncle Charlie was in the crowd with a can of cider watching the support bands - top bloke.
I can't help getting old. I just refuse to grow up.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Boody wrote: 31 Oct 2020, 11:53 For a pure punk sound (to this day) U.K. Subs are certainly the great punk survivors. Last time I saw them was in a pub in High Wycombe around 18 months ago. Uncle Charlie was in the crowd with a can of cider watching the support bands - top bloke.
Yes a top man, 999 great survivors to. Lt Kudu.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Greatkudu wrote: 30 Oct 2020, 23:31 Yes so many greats, really surprised no one has mentioned the Ramones, I know they had standoff outside Dingwalls with JJ and Co, but what a band, my vote would go to the Ramones, just changed everything, sadly I only saw them once in dusseldorf in 88 supporting the Stranglers, sadly they were a bit off that night, the Stranglers were great, I wish dom had recording of that gig. Lt Kudu.
Yep...theres a great band in the ramones i totally agree with you theres one band i would of love to have seen great you did see them though.
Last edited by toilerinblack on 31 Oct 2020, 22:02, edited 1 time in total.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Greatkudu wrote: 31 Oct 2020, 12:15
Boody wrote: 31 Oct 2020, 11:53 For a pure punk sound (to this day) U.K. Subs are certainly the great punk survivors. Last time I saw them was in a pub in High Wycombe around 18 months ago. Uncle Charlie was in the crowd with a can of cider watching the support bands - top bloke.
Yes a top man, 999 great survivors to. Lt Kudu.
Yep theres another good band 999.......i agree too.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Thanks very few people ever agree with me, I'm a bit opinionated. Lt Kudu.
sendwarrior
Rats Rally

Post by sendwarrior »

The RuTs :grin:

(The Ramones weren't British!) :lol:
🖤 UNBROKEN 🖤
Boody
Ugly
Ugly
Location: Arse end of commuter land, always looking for an escape

Post by Boody »

Greatkudu wrote:Thanks very few people ever agree with me, I'm a bit opinionated. Lt Kudu.
Having an an opinion is not the same as being opinionated. I hope this forum will never preclude anyone from saying what they think, so long as it is not racist/sexist or blatantly offensive. None of which I would accuse you of, Lt Kudu.
I can't help getting old. I just refuse to grow up.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Thanks we all have a passion for the Stranglers and music on here, and it's great people have different options.Lt Kudu.
Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Jon the Impaler »

A lot here are missing the second &third generation of punk bands . Maybe of the first if you say Stranglers and Jam dubious , Pistols and Clash contribution to punk limited , one and two albums respectively , The Damned also quickly moved on . I'd say of the first then Buzzcocks , Chelsea and UK subs the contenders . Later on Upstarts ,GBH , Rejects have reasonable contributions .......... Overall though possibly The Buzzcocks ......also a mention for SLF . A lot of people don't realise how many punk bands there were , you were looking at thousands . Crass also made a huge impact .
All quiet ..........
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Depends what is meant by "best ever" and also punk to some extent. Wrongly or rightly I think Buzzcocks, Pistols and a few others were Punk. Again IMO. For me The Damned were more garage rock in the punk years.

Also, wtf is a "Britian" ?? :smt005

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Jon the Impaler »

I was/am a big follower of punk and have been since around 1978 . The first wave of bands were very innovative , but a lot moved on elsewhere very quickly or disbanded after a brief flirt with fame , for some maybe punk was a flag of convenience to achieve wider fame . There were bands in that first wave that never made a wider impact but deserve a mention - The Adverts , Eater , Slaughter & dogs .....many many more . Thje later wave were far less innovative and folowed formulaic punk ...both in sound and dress for the most part .....BUT ... they were serious punk- Exploited , Upstarts ,Discharge , Crass , Conflict , oi bands etc . I prefer the innovation of the first era but the honesty and integrity of the majority of the second ..... it was almost art school first era but working class in the second/third generation of bands . Maybe you can't really say there is an all time best punk band , the Stranglers would be well in with a shout . Most people would go with The Clash or Pistols , personally I wouldn't due toPistold only doing one ( iconic ) album and The Clash very quickly dropping punk , their most famous offering having moved on from punk sounds .... mind you saying that there was no such thing as typical punk sound in the first wave . Another band worthy of mention -Subway Sect ..... oh and ATV , who's singer was responsible also for Sniffing Glue magazine .
All quiet ..........
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

sendwarrior wrote: 01 Nov 2020, 15:47 The RuTs :grin:

(The Ramones weren't British!) :lol:
Yes I mention the Ramones as they were more popular in UK than States in early days. Lt Kudu.