New Model Army / Stuart Morrow

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

New Model Army / Stuart Morrow

Post by Arthur Streeb-Greebling »

A big fan of this band since the 80’s and I remember watching them on TOTP and thinking wow who are these guys? Mr Justin ‘Slade the Leveller’ Sullivan on guitar and vocals dressed like a scruffy bar steward who probably hasn’t changed his clothes in years, great, and a man with these rather scary piercing eyes. Mr Stuart Morrow on bass, wow this guy sounds amazing and I can hear a bit of JJ in his playing. Rob the drummer was great too, shame he passed away far too soon, too young.

Saw them do many great gigs in the 80’s and 90’s and they played with so much passion and aggressiveness. The hard core fans (The Militia, The Family) fascinated me with their clogs and mostly standing bare chested on the top of each other’s shoulders to form human pyramids sometimes 3,4 or 5 men/women high and doing those mad dances that they do. Really exciting crazy gigs, all good fun.
Still listen to them but not seen them live in a while and keep promising myself to go and see them again if I get the chance. I still can’t believe that Stuart Morrow isn’t doing anything musically. He was a great bass player and I recently came across these vids on youtube. Stuart’s bass playing sounds amazing and he is perhaps trying to pull off some kinda JJ karate kicking moves or a minister of silly walks/ moves, lol @ 4.04 -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMTsqAaUngQ

The last time I saw Stuart playing bass was when he was in a band called ‘Loud’ who supported The Stranglers back in the late? 90’s at Bradford St. George’s Hall, I quite liked Loud although it was Stuart’s bass playing that for me just stood out so much. I’m surprised some huge successful band hasn’t snapped him up and got him in their band by now or perhaps he’s just not into it anymore? Anyway I look forward to seeing him in whatever band he’s in and NMA too, it’s been a while.
8)
Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: New Model Army / Stuart Morrow

Post by Arthur Streeb-Greebling »

Forgot something - in the rehearsal studios I used to rehearse with the band I was in at the time and when I came out for a break there was a long line of guitar players sat down and waiting outside rehearsal studio 1. I got very excited to find out New Model Army was in and were auditioning for a second guitar player (touring guitarist) I really wanted to join that queue but I had the wrong guitar with me (Fender Strat) and the wrong hair cut (most important!) and wasnt that confident (also important) although I knew quite a few of their songs.
I watched a few guitar players go in through the studio window and they were all terrible! lol anyway Ricky Warwick (Before he formed The Almighty and went onto join Thin Lizzy and form Black Star Riders) got the gig.
I went back into rehearsal studio 2 and showed the band how to play NMA’s 51st State which we proceeded to play very loud.
8)
Last edited by Arthur Streeb-Greebling on 26 Sep 2020, 01:10, edited 1 time in total.
Dom P
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by Dom P »

I loved them back in the 80s. Saw them a few times at the Marquee ..

My NMA claim to fame is that they used my bootleg of them at Brockwell Park at the GLC gig for a 12"!

I taped them on a Sony walkman and traded it in Camden. I then read in the papers that one of the band saw the tape on the stall and bought it and decided they liked the versions so much they would "bootleg the bootleggers" as he put it!

https://www.newmodelarmy.org/the-music/ ... -rest-1985
"I think you guys are going to have to come up with some wonderful new lies, or people just aren't going to want to go on living." -- Slaughterhouse-Five
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Arthur Streeb-Greebling wrote: 26 Sep 2020, 00:04 A big fan of this band since the 80’s and I remember watching them on TOTP and thinking wow who are these guys? Mr Justin ‘Slade the Leveller’ Sullivan on guitar and vocals dressed like a scruffy bar steward who probably hasn’t changed his clothes in years, great, and a man with these rather scary piercing eyes. Mr Stuart Morrow on bass, wow this guy sounds amazing and I can hear a bit of JJ in his playing. Rob the drummer was great too, shame he passed away far too soon, too young.

Saw them do many great gigs in the 80’s and 90’s and they played with so much passion and aggressiveness. The hard core fans (The Militia, The Family) fascinated me with their clogs and mostly standing bare chested on the top of each other’s shoulders to form human pyramids sometimes 3,4 or 5 men/women high and doing those mad dances that they do. Really exciting crazy gigs, all good fun.
Still listen to them but not seen them live in a while and keep promising myself to go and see them again if I get the chance. I still can’t believe that Stuart Morrow isn’t doing anything musically. He was a great bass player and I recently came across these vids on youtube. Stuart’s bass playing sounds amazing and he is perhaps trying to pull off some kinda JJ karate kicking moves or a minister of silly walks/ moves, lol @ 4.04 -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMTsqAaUngQ

The last time I saw Stuart playing bass was when he was in a band called ‘Loud’ who supported The Stranglers back in the late? 90’s at Bradford St. George’s Hall, I quite liked Loud although it was Stuart’s bass playing that for me just stood out so much. I’m surprised some huge successful band hasn’t snapped him up and got him in their band by now or perhaps he’s just not into it anymore? Anyway I look forward to seeing him in whatever band he’s in and NMA too, it’s been a while.
8)
Yes a fine band, have seen them a few times, including supporting the Stranglers in escott Park in Devon, they were great but stranglers were better that night, Paul gets a rough time on here but he was great that night, only down side I went with a woman who fancied me and I didn't, she tried grabbing hold of me during the Stranglers set, I had to push her away, let's just say the car journey back to HQ was not a pleasant one, especially as I told her I had met a woman who I fancied, a bad move, oh memories of gigs, and at gig met some NMA fans they loved the Stranglers set. Lt Kudu.
jetblacksdad
Ugly
Ugly

Post by jetblacksdad »

Loved them until about Impurity and then it just got a bit dull.

Met Justin at a festival in Bradford we were playing. Had a chat. Forced a CD on to him!

They keep going and regularly put our new material on their own label, making a living and doing a good job of it.

Their documentary is a good watch. Stuart seems to regret leaving in a way it seems. Great player. Added a real drive and flow with his playing.
Moose was also good.
+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+