2 versions of UB40 oh dear how sad.

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth
Posts: 7740
Joined: 02 Oct 2008, 15:34
Location: Kent

Re: 2 versions of UB40 oh dear how sad.

Post by jason »

When I googled UB40 Stranglers I came across a UB40 forum discussing the worst support bands they have had and a few people mentioned the Stranglers! They mentioned an awful frontman undressing himself throughout the set playing with his nipples! :shock:
User avatar
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven
Posts: 2070
Joined: 08 Jan 2008, 22:56
Location: Bedfordshire

Re: 2 versions of UB40 oh dear how sad.

Post by aldinblack »

jason wrote:When I googled UB40 Stranglers I came across a UB40 forum discussing the worst support bands they have had and a few people mentioned the Stranglers! They mentioned an awful frontman undressing himself throughout the set playing with his nipples! :shock:
hahaha what a nob

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I Hate You !
User avatar
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite
Posts: 33336
Joined: 22 Dec 2001, 11:41
Location: Saltaire
Contact:

Re: 2 versions of UB40 oh dear how sad.

Post by theraven1979 »

Fair

Jim
jason wrote: 19 Aug 2020, 00:41 When I googled UB40 Stranglers I came across a UB40 forum discussing the worst support bands they have had and a few people mentioned the Stranglers! They mentioned an awful frontman undressing himself throughout the set playing with his nipples! :shock:
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven
Posts: 2462
Joined: 25 Jan 2006, 18:59
Location: Essex

Re: 2 versions of UB40 oh dear how sad.

Post by Jon the Impaler »

jason wrote: 17 Aug 2020, 22:13 I can never understand why the Stranglers supported them. Just a totally different sort of music altogether! I can't imagine UB40 fans liking the Stranglers and vice versa.
Well I absolutely LOATHE them , the worst band......sorry , two bands in the world of all time . I hate the Jim Davison rip off singer , for those that don't get that , his impersonation of a black man singing ....if you want a black singer then get a black singer , not someone copying . Made a career IMO of destroying other people's songs . Yes , I hate these ........more so than even Mercury Rising.......... A lot lot more . Only Annie Lennox comes close . Oh and Dexy's .
If I'd seen Stranglers support them I would have taken great pleasure in walking out on this lot .
All quiet ..........
User avatar
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven
Posts: 2070
Joined: 08 Jan 2008, 22:56
Location: Bedfordshire

Re: 2 versions of UB40 oh dear how sad.

Post by aldinblack »


Jon the Impaler wrote:
jason wrote: 17 Aug 2020, 22:13 I can never understand why the Stranglers supported them. Just a totally different sort of music altogether! I can't imagine UB40 fans liking the Stranglers and vice versa.
Well I absolutely LOATHE them , the worst band......sorry , two bands in the world of all time . I hate the Jim Davison rip off singer , for those that don't get that , his impersonation of a black man singing ....if you want a black singer then get a black singer , not someone copying . Made a career IMO of destroying other people's songs . Yes , I hate these ........more so than even Mercury Rising.......... A lot lot more . Only Annie Lennox comes close . Oh and Dexy's .
If I'd seen Stranglers support them I would have taken great pleasure in walking out on this lot .
yeah, know what you mean about the black man pretence thing, strange that and rather irritating for sure.
But then others are irritating without even pretending to be anyone else ! E.g. Dexy's. Never did see the big deal with that annoying noise they make, same for Lennox I agree..

UB40 did write their own songs to start with though, before they decided to murder other people's. Interestingly that's when they got really big...

Mercury Rising should have been a hit. Perhaps then one of the UB40s would have murdered it !

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I Hate You !
droopsnoot
ManinBlack
ManinBlack
Posts: 3168
Joined: 27 Jan 2004, 17:28
Location: Cheshire

Re: 2 versions of UB40 oh dear how sad.

Post by droopsnoot »

Jon the Impaler wrote: 19 Aug 2020, 11:36 for those that don't get that , his impersonation of a black man singing
That annoys me, as well. But then it annoyed me when the bloke from Ruts DC put on a similar accent for some of their songs when I saw them supporting The Stranglers a few years back.

I don't really like UB40, it's not my kind of music. I went to the MEN Arena to see The Stranglers support them, but left before UB40 came on so I could get a train home. Lots of people like them, fair enough if that's their thing. I thought they did the support gig on that tour because it was part of the deal when they re-signed to EMI - a combination of "try to attract a new audience" and "do as you're told".

There was an interesting* documentary on BBC4 a few years back covering their history, and how they'd split into two bands. I mentioned it when Hugh had started talking about how benevolent he was for not stopping The Stranglers from using the name - at the end of the documentary, it was mentioned that the legal bill to that point to cover both halves of UB40 arguing about who could use the name had topped £250k, with no decision in sight. Must be difficult for the Campbell brothers, the documentary also mentioned how they'd both had houses built in Jamaica, alongside each other. I wonder if they chuck rubbish over the fence, or make sure the other one isn't there when they visit.

(* I quite enjoy watching documentaries about bands even if I don't like their music, if it's a well-made programme. The one a week or two back about The Real Thing was pretty good, too.)
http://www.firenza.net - my homage to a seventies Vauxhall
User avatar
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite
Posts: 33336
Joined: 22 Dec 2001, 11:41
Location: Saltaire
Contact:

Re: 2 versions of UB40 oh dear how sad.

Post by theraven1979 »

Jon the Impaler wrote:
jason wrote: 17 Aug 2020, 22:13 I can never understand why the Stranglers supported them. Just a totally different sort of music altogether! I can't imagine UB40 fans liking the Stranglers and vice versa.
Well I absolutely LOATHE them , the worst band......sorry , two bands in the world of all time . I hate the Jim Davison rip off singer , for those that don't get that , his impersonation of a black man singing ....if you want a black singer then get a black singer , not someone copying . Made a career IMO of destroying other people's songs . Yes , I hate these ........more so than even Mercury Rising.......... A lot lot more . Only Annie Lennox comes close . Oh and Dexy's .
If I'd seen Stranglers support them I would have taken great pleasure in walking out on this lot .
What do you mean by "black man singer" exactly ? Everytime I've heard UB40 (limited tbh) they sound Brummy as fuck

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven
Posts: 2462
Joined: 25 Jan 2006, 18:59
Location: Essex

Re: 2 versions of UB40 oh dear how sad.

Post by Jon the Impaler »

theraven1979 wrote: 20 Aug 2020, 20:38
Jon the Impaler wrote:
jason wrote: 17 Aug 2020, 22:13 I can never understand why the Stranglers supported them. Just a totally different sort of music altogether! I can't imagine UB40 fans liking the Stranglers and vice versa.
Well I absolutely LOATHE them , the worst band......sorry , two bands in the world of all time . I hate the Jim Davison rip off singer , for those that don't get that , his impersonation of a black man singing ....if you want a black singer then get a black singer , not someone copying . Made a career IMO of destroying other people's songs . Yes , I hate these ........more so than even Mercury Rising.......... A lot lot more . Only Annie Lennox comes close . Oh and Dexy's .
If I'd seen Stranglers support them I would have taken great pleasure in walking out on this lot .
What do you mean by "black man singer" exactly ? Everytime I've heard UB40 (limited tbh) they sound Brummy as fuck

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
Well , he sounds like he's doing an impersonation of Jim Davison doing his old racist routine , sounds like that to me ...... As for the Brummie bit , well I'm a Brummie so perhaps it may sound a little different to me when I am used to the accent . You might just pick up the Brum bit , but I pick up on a fake accent too . To me he doing a fake Jamaican voice ,clearly fake as he clearly isn't Jamaican .
All quiet ..........
User avatar
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite
Posts: 33336
Joined: 22 Dec 2001, 11:41
Location: Saltaire
Contact:

Re: 2 versions of UB40 oh dear how sad.

Post by theraven1979 »

Jon the Impaler wrote:
theraven1979 wrote: 20 Aug 2020, 20:38
Jon the Impaler wrote: Well I absolutely LOATHE them , the worst band......sorry , two bands in the world of all time . I hate the Jim Davison rip off singer , for those that don't get that , his impersonation of a black man singing ....if you want a black singer then get a black singer , not someone copying . Made a career IMO of destroying other people's songs . Yes , I hate these ........more so than even Mercury Rising.......... A lot lot more . Only Annie Lennox comes close . Oh and Dexy's .
If I'd seen Stranglers support them I would have taken great pleasure in walking out on this lot .
What do you mean by "black man singer" exactly ? Everytime I've heard UB40 (limited tbh) they sound Brummy as fuck

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
Well , he sounds like he's doing an impersonation of Jim Davison doing his old racist routine , sounds like that to me ...... As for the Brummie bit , well I'm a Brummie so perhaps it may sound a little different to me when I am used to the accent . You might just pick up the Brum bit , but I pick up on a fake accent too . To me he doing a fake Jamaican voice ,clearly fake as he clearly isn't Jamaican .
Is there anything on YouTube that demonstrates this?

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven
Posts: 2462
Joined: 25 Jan 2006, 18:59
Location: Essex

Re: 2 versions of UB40 oh dear how sad.

Post by Jon the Impaler »

theraven1979 wrote: 20 Aug 2020, 20:51
Jon the Impaler wrote:
theraven1979 wrote: 20 Aug 2020, 20:38 What do you mean by "black man singer" exactly ? Everytime I've heard UB40 (limited tbh) they sound Brummy as fuck

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
Well , he sounds like he's doing an impersonation of Jim Davison doing his old racist routine , sounds like that to me ...... As for the Brummie bit , well I'm a Brummie so perhaps it may sound a little different to me when I am used to the accent . You might just pick up the Brum bit , but I pick up on a fake accent too . To me he doing a fake Jamaican voice ,clearly fake as he clearly isn't Jamaican .
Is there anything on YouTube that demonstrates this?

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
Wouldn't know - I refuse to watch or listen to this band in any form .
All quiet ..........
User avatar
Bobinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack
Posts: 3419
Joined: 05 Nov 2007, 14:08
Location: Leeds
Contact:

Re: 2 versions of UB40 oh dear how sad.

Post by Bobinblack »

droopsnoot wrote: 20 Aug 2020, 18:25
Jon the Impaler wrote: 19 Aug 2020, 11:36 for those that don't get that , his impersonation of a black man singing
That annoys me, as well. But then it annoyed me when the bloke from Ruts DC put on a similar accent for some of their songs when I saw them supporting The Stranglers a few years back.

I don't really like UB40, it's not my kind of music. I went to the MEN Arena to see The Stranglers support them, but left before UB40 came on so I could get a train home. Lots of people like them, fair enough if that's their thing. I thought they did the support gig on that tour because it was part of the deal when they re-signed to EMI - a combination of "try to attract a new audience" and "do as you're told".

There was an interesting* documentary on BBC4 a few years back covering their history, and how they'd split into two bands. I mentioned it when Hugh had started talking about how benevolent he was for not stopping The Stranglers from using the name - at the end of the documentary, it was mentioned that the legal bill to that point to cover both halves of UB40 arguing about who could use the name had topped £250k, with no decision in sight. Must be difficult for the Campbell brothers, the documentary also mentioned how they'd both had houses built in Jamaica, alongside each other. I wonder if they chuck rubbish over the fence, or make sure the other one isn't there when they visit.

(* I quite enjoy watching documentaries about bands even if I don't like their music, if it's a well-made programme. The one a week or two back about The Real Thing was pretty good, too.)
8)

Same here, droopy. Watched Pearl Jam film doc not long back, very good viewing IMHO. Even the Coldplay one wasn't as cringey as I'd feared. Nina Simone wasn't easy viewing though, must admit.
'Peaches - A Chronicle of The Stranglers from 1974 to 1990', out 2014 on Soundcheck Books.

Think I'll go for a stroll in the trees.
User avatar
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite
Posts: 33336
Joined: 22 Dec 2001, 11:41
Location: Saltaire
Contact:

Re: 2 versions of UB40 oh dear how sad.

Post by theraven1979 »

Ok I'll make it easy for you - what's the song called?

Jim
Jon the Impaler wrote: 21 Aug 2020, 06:21
theraven1979 wrote: 20 Aug 2020, 20:51
Jon the Impaler wrote:
Well , he sounds like he's doing an impersonation of Jim Davison doing his old racist routine , sounds like that to me ...... As for the Brummie bit , well I'm a Brummie so perhaps it may sound a little different to me when I am used to the accent . You might just pick up the Brum bit , but I pick up on a fake accent too . To me he doing a fake Jamaican voice ,clearly fake as he clearly isn't Jamaican .
Is there anything on YouTube that demonstrates this?

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
Wouldn't know - I refuse to watch or listen to this band in any form .
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Post Reply