2 versions of UB40 oh dear how sad.

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

2 versions of UB40 oh dear how sad.

Post by Greatkudu »

Off all the bands I have seen, UB40 were the worst, caught 30 seconds when Stranglers supported them in 2003 or 2004? They were terrible, now you have two versions of band as Ali left in 2006 or 2008? He tours with Astro and Mike and the other UB40 tours with his brothers, sadly one of the brothers had stroke recently, but it hasnt reconciled Ali with his brother, now thats sad and makes Stranglers split seem quite amicable, but one version of UB40 is bad enough, but two oh dear. Lt Kudu on op feral.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Re: 2 versions of UB40 oh dear how sad.

Post by theraven1979 »

They've been like this for a while haven't they? I also saw them when the Stranglers supported and they weren't great.

Went to the pub in Birmingham for drinks once where they first performed (about 30 years too late). Musta been good seeing them at the time. They're early stuff is pretty good.

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

theraven1979 wrote: 17 Aug 2020, 09:58 They've been like this for a while haven't they? I also saw them when the Stranglers supported and they weren't great.

Went to the pub in Birmingham for drinks once where they first performed (about 30 years too late). Musta been good seeing them at the time. They're early stuff is pretty good.

Jim
Yes early stuff wasn't bad, a very uncomfortable interview on itv breakfast earlier with Ali and Astro, interviewer kept asking why don't they make it up and reform with original lineup,you could see Ali was getting irritated but they were promoting their arena tour for next year, its so sad how people in bands fall out especially when one is your brother and he is recovering from a stroke. Lr Kudu.
Rich
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Rich »

theraven1979 wrote: 17 Aug 2020, 09:58 They've been like this for a while haven't they? I also saw them when the Stranglers supported and they weren't great.

Jim
I quite like the first couple of albums. They get a spin every so often.

Saw them at Newcastle City Hall back in the day ('81/'82).

After that they went shit.

Rich.
Black and White becomes........
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

I can never understand why the Stranglers supported them. Just a totally different sort of music altogether! I can't imagine UB40 fans liking the Stranglers and vice versa.
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by aldinblack »

jason wrote:I can never understand why the Stranglers supported them. Just a totally different sort of music altogether! I can't imagine UB40 fans liking the Stranglers and vice versa.
I guess they're both from the same era in music. One of my best friends at school was a bigUB40 fan. He got me into their first couple of albums. Similarly I lent him Stranglers albums, right up to La Folie and he became a fan. He even got into TheMeninblack album !

So you see it is possible !

He even came with me to my very first Stranglers gig at the Hamersmirh Odeon.

I've never seen UB40 live though, but the first couple of albums were good IMO.

I think they just went really shit when they started doing all that labour of love bollocks....

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I Hate You !
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

UB40 fit firmly into the musical category marked "not my thing", and as I understand it pretty much every dedicated reggae fan I've ever known has considered them to be a really woeful example of the genre. I'd rather put WD40 onto my turntable, to be honest.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

jason wrote: 17 Aug 2020, 22:13 I can never understand why the Stranglers supported them. Just a totally different sort of music altogether! I can't imagine UB40 fans liking the Stranglers and vice versa.
Well that tour with UB40 may have increased the bands fan base, they were shit hot on the UB40 tour, and the Stranglers were playing huge arenas, Ali Campbell and Astros version of UB40 doing more Arenas next year? If this fucking virus decreases, each to their own, but I remember the gig in Bournemouth, I walked out of venue after 30 seconds of UB40, felt bad as the UB40 fans said, it's not that bad is it? I didn't reply just left, didnt want to offend them, still have the Stranglers tour t shirt from that tour, quite a good one. Lt Kudu.
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

Are the Stranglers supporting them again soon? I think they are.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

jason wrote: 18 Aug 2020, 00:24 Are the Stranglers supporting them again soon? I think they are.
Oh god no, stranglers won't ever support UB40 again, if they did, they would have to versions to choose from, the support slot it 2003 or 2004 was useful to band at the time, but to be honest priority is Stranglers tour next year, hope it happens as would be impossible to reschedule your twice. Lt Kudu.
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by aldinblack »

The so called Stranglers could support one of the UB40s and Hugh Cornwall could support the other !

I Hate You !
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

aldinblack wrote: 18 Aug 2020, 10:55 The so called Stranglers could support one of the UB40s and Hugh Cornwall could support the other !

:smt005