Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

RIP Peter Green

Post by Arthur Streeb-Greebling »

:(
Only got to see the man once when he played in Leeds back in the 90’s but it was so great to see him. He wasn’t quite with it but played that guitar just fine. We waited around after the gig but he didn’t want to come out and chat but his partner took our tickets and got Peter to sign them.
Blasting out one of my fave top choon ever - Man Of The World.

RIP Greeny.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: RIP Peter Green

Post by Greatkudu »

So sad, one of the great guitar players, after he left Fleetwood Mac they became a different beast not for the better, great that he came back from what happened to him with bad acid etc, great is a word to many people use but Peter was one a truly gifted musician and song writer. RiP
Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Greatkudu wrote: 26 Jul 2020, 17:05 So sad, one of the great guitar players, after he left Fleetwood Mac they became a different beast not for the better, great that he came back from what happened to him with bad acid etc, great is a word to many people use but Peter was one a truly gifted musician and song writer. RiP
Aye, musta been great seeing him back in the day when his playing was on fire, JJ I believe got to see him back then in the late 60’s.
BB King once sez that Greeny had the sweetest tone he'd ever heard. "He was the only one that gave me the cold sweats."

Greeny had great hands and a soulful of tone but his pickup was accidentally reinstalled backwards which gave him that unmistakable ‘out of phase’ tone.
8)
jonimac
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by jonimac »

Only discovered “ The Green Manalishi “ about 3 weeks ago.
What a tune
From Glasgow, the centre of Stranglermania (copyright Strangled 1982)
Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

jonimac wrote: 30 Jul 2020, 10:42 Only discovered “ The Green Manalishi “ about 3 weeks ago.
What a tune
One of his best IMHO.
Probably the minor key it’s played in but it’s always seemed a bit spooky to my ears but I guess that’s the intention.
Greeny has always maintained that the song is about money, as represented by the devil. Greeny was reportedly angered by the other band members' refusal to share their financial gains.
There’s also the story that he went to his managers office with a shotgun demanding they stop sending him money!
:shock:

Just been watching that tribute gig on youtube they did for Greeny - Mick Fleetwood & Friends - London Palladium, London, England Feb. 25th. 2020.
Kirk Hammett played the Peter Green Les Paul he apparently paid $2 million dollars for.