The Future Of Gigs

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

The Future Of Gigs

Post by theraven1979 »

Just wondered what people's thoughts were on the future of gigs (prior to a vaccine or complete reduction in infections).

I'm seeing 2 things mentioned at the moment. Online gigs - I noticed some bands performing in empty venues and streaming the gig (at cost). Obviously no where near the same experience as being there but it keeps the band alive etc and some funds will go there way. The other thing was I read somewhere that gigs could potentially go ahead with a fair few measures in place such as everyone wearing face masks (blimey imagine being at the front of a gig with a face mask!) and controlled measures such as everyone walking through a disinfectant spray on the way into the venue (not quite sure what that achieves tbh).

Anyone heard anything else or any further thoughts on the matter. I genuinely can't see gigs happening this year without something significant happening.

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Boody
Ugly
Ugly
Location: Arse end of commuter land, always looking for an escape

Re: The Future Of Gigs

Post by Boody »

I’ve wondered about the final full tour dates and can’t see them happening (I’m pretty conflicted about seeing them without Dave at all, but that’s straying off topic). I reckon we will be into 2021 before things are (pretty much) back to normal, in the U.K. at least. What is happening in other countries?
I can't help getting old. I just refuse to grow up.
zamaguire
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by zamaguire »

I think outdoor concerts will be first to happen.
In Ireland they are allowing 500 gatherings outdoor from August.
zamaguire
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by zamaguire »

500 gatherings outdoors from 20 th July
Russ65
Rats Rally

Post by Russ65 »

Live Nation are doing a series of concerts that are drive in. Limited to 300 vehicles max 7 people per vehicle. You are allocated a spot and this will allow you to stand or sit if you bring chairs next to your vehicle. Bands on board are Embrace, Lightening Seeds, Gary Numan amongst others. Venues seem to be racecourses or football stadia car parks.
MiB81
The Raven
The Raven

Post by MiB81 »

It took me decades of gig going before I could actually handle sitting at a rock gig,
(did it for one of the first times at a Mike Garson Bowie show a few years back at the Glasgow
Academy, and it wasn't that bad actually, not too far from the quiet upstairs bar and the bogs-
a major consideration at my age :P ) but all the talk about video streams, Drive-Ins etc makes
me think why bother :smt102
...I'm making lists of all the people I love,
and all the cunts that should fuck off...
Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Arthur Streeb-Greebling »

MiB81 wrote: 23 Jun 2020, 15:53 It took me decades of gig going before I could actually handle sitting at a rock gig,
(did it for one of the first times at a Mike Garson Bowie show a few years back at the Glasgow
Academy, and it wasn't that bad actually, not too far from the quiet upstairs bar and the bogs-
a major consideration at my age :P ) but all the talk about video streams, Drive-Ins etc makes
me think why bother :smt102
Sat in a car watching a band from a mile away?
No thanks, not even The Stranglers.

I guess I’m very lucky to have gotten to see The Stranglers 71 times and all the probably near a thousand bands I’ve seen since 1981.

Perhaps those days are over due to Kung Flu?
MiB81
The Raven
The Raven

Post by MiB81 »

Arthur Streeb-Greebling wrote: 24 Jun 2020, 10:38 ...

Mibee.
Mibee, in the next couple of years, kids will be bragging about the amount of virtual gigs they signed up for, subscribed to
and "attended", "experiencing" it on some "streaming platform" on feckin You Tube or whatever future shiz they'll have by then. :smt102 :smt022
...I'm making lists of all the people I love,
and all the cunts that should fuck off...
clutchingmyteddybear
Rats Rally

Post by clutchingmyteddybear »

Govt told pubs no live acts. This is where it will hurt. The smaller places with smaller bands. Noticed bigger acts doing drive in gigs. So boring old fucking bands who are already minted will be okay. NOT THE STRANGERS. NEVER BEEN BORING! There should be more help from within the music industry, the big players to help smaller venues and acts. Notice France are doing a huge subsidy of the arts until we’ll into next year.
how did I get down here, well it's a long story
Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Arthur Streeb-Greebling »

MiB81 wrote: 24 Jun 2020, 12:52
Arthur Streeb-Greebling wrote: 24 Jun 2020, 10:38 ...

Mibee.
Mibee, in the next couple of years, kids will be bragging about the amount of virtual gigs they signed up for, subscribed to
and "attended", "experiencing" it on some "streaming platform" on feckin You Tube or whatever future shiz they'll have by then. :smt102 :smt022
Jeez that sounds so depressing but could happen.
:?

Prob time to buy that t-shirt “I may be old but I got to see all the great bands”
:grin:
Boody
Ugly
Ugly
Location: Arse end of commuter land, always looking for an escape

Post by Boody »

I really don’t fancy the “concert in a car” idea.
I can't help getting old. I just refuse to grow up.
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by aldinblack »

Virtual online, drive in gigs definitely not for me either. Shame for the youngsters if this is the future tbh...

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I Hate You !