Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Andy Gill RIP

Post by Arthur Streeb-Greebling »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-51344348

Formed in Leeds in 1976, Gang Of Four's career spanned five decades, from their first single Damaged Goods to last year's studio album Happy Now. Their debut album Entertainment!, released in 1979, was listed as one of Rolling Stone's 500 greatest albums of all time. Although the line-up changed several times, Gill remained with the band, becoming the only founding member to stay with the group in all their incarnations. The Manchester-born musician was also a respected producer, working with bands including The Stranglers, Red Hot Chili Peppers and Killing Joke.
Cells&Plasma
The Raven
The Raven

Re: Andy Gill RIP

Post by Cells&Plasma »

Arthur Streeb-Greebling wrote:https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-51344348

Formed in Leeds in 1976, Gang Of Four's career spanned five decades, from their first single Damaged Goods to last year's studio album Happy Now. Their debut album Entertainment!, released in 1979, was listed as one of Rolling Stone's 500 greatest albums of all time. Although the line-up changed several times, Gill remained with the band, becoming the only founding member to stay with the group in all their incarnations. The Manchester-born musician was also a respected producer, working with bands including The Stranglers, Red Hot Chili Peppers and Killing Joke.
Hugley influential and a Great Band especially Live...saw them in 81 in London at the Hammersmith Palais. I did see the Current line up a few Years ago supporting Gary Numan. They should have been called "From The Gang Of Four" as they were nothing like the Original Line Up. Sad News and only 64.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

evonx
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by evonx »

I must admit I only got into Gang of Four much later than their heyday, I think they were really original and energetic. The late Andy Gill had a very distinct style that I really like.

Connected to our Stranglers MK2 for producing the Written in Red cd. I realise it is not a favourite here but I always liked a fair part of it. Andy made it sound really modern which, after the anachronistic About Time, to me came as a surprise. Although (as is the case with many post Feline Strangler albums) there is (like I said) too much filler on this one, I still love the sounds of Valley, In Heaven (the hit single MK2 deserved), the Billy Idol-esque In a While, and the beautiful Wonderful Land. Thank you Andy. I know it is JJ's least favoured album of their catalogue, made in a difficult time for the band I suppose (trying to find a place in the market with new music many years before the nostalgia hit the fan (mkIV)). Rest in peace Andy, thanks for lots of great music.
--eric--
i was attracted by a night torchlight parade
and there i came
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

He seems to have had quite the career, not only did he work on one of the least favoured Stranglers albums, but he also worked on the Red Hot Chili Peppers debut album(!) and then much later on with The Futureheads.

I agree with John Robb when he refers to Gang of Four as overrated, though.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Surprised there's not something on the official site about this tbh

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
evonx
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by evonx »

Paul posted a sweet memory on his FB.
--eric--
and there i came
Josh
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Josh »

I was very sorry to hear that he'd passed last weekend. I saw Gang of Four in 2018, and while it wasn't the best gig, I'm glad I got to see them before his death. RIP
Never say goodbye,
For we'll all be with you someday,
Fond adieus but never say goodbye
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Sad news,the reason know announcement on Stranglers site is JJ and Dave hated the album and its production,a torrid time for the band,even Dave

nearly quit around that time,patchy album with some good songs but also the worst Stranglers song ever IMHO the dire "Miss you",my god they had

got to a low point around that time.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Greatkudu wrote: 12 Feb 2020, 14:51 Sad news,the reason know announcement on Stranglers site is JJ and Dave hated the album and its production,a torrid time for the band,even Dave

nearly quit around that time,patchy album with some good songs but also the worst Stranglers song ever IMHO the dire "Miss you",my god they had

I think it's a better record than Giants, myself.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

StanInBlack wrote:
Greatkudu wrote: 12 Feb 2020, 14:51 Sad news,the reason know announcement on Stranglers site is JJ and Dave hated the album and its production,a torrid time for the band,even Dave

I think it's a better record than Giants, myself.
It's my fave mkii+ album

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

I quite liked the modern production on WIR by Andy Gill. I Wasn't too keen on a couple of the songs though.
evonx
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by evonx »

I quite liked the modern production on WIR by Andy Gill. I Wasn't too keen on a couple of the songs though.
My thoughts exactly - and totally much better than Suite and expecially Giants
--eric--
and there i came