Ginger Baker RIP-possibly the greatest drummer ever?

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

PJayBe
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Re: Ginger Baker RIP-possibly the greatest drummer ever?

Post by PJayBe » 17 Oct 2019, 23:19

Certainly the angriest!! Amazing soloist if you like that sort of thing.....

Greatkudu
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Greatkudu » 18 Oct 2019, 15:09

Like or Loathe him Ginger was an amazing drummer,off thread but when it comes to drum solos the late great Buddy Rich is hard to beat,you can find

them on Youtube, the ones I have seen are just amazing and Buddy had a reputation not being the nicest bloke (seems to go with the territory) I have

heard rumours about an Ex Strangler being not very pleasant to,sorry to go off thread.

cerdan6899
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by cerdan6899 » 31 Oct 2019, 12:08

I was recently trying to list Stranglers songs with an unconventional back beat ( don't know if that's the correct wording ), early stuff going back as far as Rattus. Some really clever beats played by a Mr JB. Tracks like Peaches, Ugly, Dead Ringer, Tolouse...just to mention a few, clever stuff. On the subject of drummers i'm going to throw my own in the mix, one of the best i've heard...Jimmy Chamberlin, Smashin Pumkins.
i want something good to die for, to make it beautiful to live

Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Arthur Streeb-Greebling » 01 Nov 2019, 19:36

Greatkudu wrote:
18 Oct 2019, 15:09
Like or Loathe him Ginger was an amazing drummer,off thread but when it comes to drum solos the late great Buddy Rich is hard to beat,you can find

them on Youtube, the ones I have seen are just amazing and Buddy had a reputation not being the nicest bloke (seems to go with the territory) I have

heard rumours about an Ex Strangler being not very pleasant to,sorry to go off thread.
Actually it does ring a bell does that, most drummers probably aren’t very pleasant.
A so called friend of mine who I’ve known since I was about 5 is a drummer and a real shite one at that too. Unfortunately I’ve been in Bands with him. Besides being the biggest teller of lies on the planet he’s also always been a bit of a bully and once picked on this guy too many times, the guy who was getting bullied later came back with his mate who was built like Dwayne Johnson (The Rock) and he proceeded to smash my friends already unpleasant looking face to bits. It was a hilarious, blood everywhere and old women in the street screaming and shouting for The Police.
My friend then said he was going to get the Hells Angels onto this guy to sort him out and I laughed and said you don’t even know any Hells Angels, just a few bikers who liked to think they were Hells Angels.
He asked why I didn’t come to his aid, I said you bullied the guy and not me and besides do I look like a fucking idiot? Do you think an 8 stone weed (I was seriously ill at the time) like me is gonna be able to sort that guy out? He woulda snapped me in half. Anyway he only brought all this on himself and I warned him several times to leave that guy alone but he never listened so he got what he deserved and our friendship came to an end thank god, he’s probably in prison now getting bullied!

I’ve recently being seeing his ex and she’s told me some right stories about him and sez he’s a complete wanker who was always trying to bully people, lied constantly to her and others and she also said he was shite on the drums too.
:lol:

Greatkudu
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Greatkudu » 02 Nov 2019, 14:30

cerdan6899 wrote:
31 Oct 2019, 12:08
I was recently trying to list Stranglers songs with an unconventional back beat ( don't know if that's the correct wording ), early stuff going back as far as Rattus. Some really clever beats played by a Mr JB. Tracks like Peaches, Ugly, Dead Ringer, Tolouse...just to mention a few, clever stuff. On the subject of drummers i'm going to throw my own in the mix, one of the best i've heard...Jimmy Chamberlin, Smashin Pumkins.
Yes so many clever beats from Mr Black,just as important to The Stranglers sound as JJ or style,I still think "Genetix" is the best drum pattern,I have heard,just an amazingly creative piece of work and the rest of the song is great,possibly the best Stranglers track apart from "Sewer" and "Toiler"?

Off thread a bit.Lt Kudu on ops in the sticks.

Greatkudu
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Greatkudu » 02 Nov 2019, 14:31

Arthur Streeb-Greebling wrote:
01 Nov 2019, 19:36
Greatkudu wrote:
18 Oct 2019, 15:09

No most drummers are good blokes,the ex Strangler I was alluding to was ? not a drummer.