Ginger Baker RIP-possibly the greatest drummer ever?

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Niki Wu
Ugly
Ugly

Re: Ginger Baker RIP-possibly the greatest drummer ever?

Post by Niki Wu »

Greatkudu wrote: 30 Aug 2020, 21:41:grin:
Thanks for that luv . I think I can speak for myself though, just about. Obviously you have some friends pulling strings for you on this site!
Who's your mate in the red?
cerdan6899
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by cerdan6899 »

Niki Wu wrote: 29 Aug 2020, 23:02
Greatkudu wrote: 02 Nov 2019, 14:31
Arthur Streeb-Greebling wrote: 01 Nov 2019, 19:36

No most drummers are good blokes,the ex Strangler I was alluding to was ? not a drummer.
Unfortunately I missed out on the opportunity to see him play. I did however bump into him whilst sightseeing in Rome when I was about 15. Coincidentally an older relative of mine who is also my doppelganger had a run in with him in the service lift backstage at the Top Rank in Swansea a little over a decade earlier. He'd allegedly tried to hit on her and she was having none of it. Small world innit. I'll speak as I find, he seemed nice enough to me. She had a bit of a thing for Stuart Copeland after we saw him coincidentally at the Top Rank. ( Some people on this site may remember a gang of punks who habitually hung out in the street outside Virgin Records being commandeered to run across the Kingsway for a shot in the Message in a Bottle video. ( I dare say stuck up, sneering, grandiose Wendy was among them and possibly 'Jennay' my "clean up woman")). Digressing slightly; I really rate John Densmore as a drummer, if you want to talk about a seemingly incongruent mix of styles coming together to form a perfect fusion in a band. Again, I also met this young drummer about 25 years ago who did, apparently, some session work with The Bangles . I just thought he was absolutely awesome and was bound to be going places but I never heard of him after that much to my surprise. I guess we aren't, not musically, but psychologically prepared to take that leap of faith in Wales. I blame it on misplaced nationalism which inevitably rears its ugly head as nepotism.
Ah Virgin records Swansea, the place to be seen. Remember it well
i want something good to die for, to make it beautiful to live
Niki Wu
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Niki Wu »

cerdan6899 wrote: 31 Aug 2020, 16:22
Greatkudu wrote: 02 Nov 2019, 14:31

Unfortunately I missed out on the opportunity to see him play. I did however bump into him whilst sightseeing in Rome when I was about 15. Coincidentally an older relative of mine who is also my doppelganger had a run in with him in the service lift backstage at the Top Rank in Swansea a little over a decade earlier. He'd allegedly tried to hit on her and she was having none of it. Small world innit. I'll speak as I find, he seemed nice enough to me. She had a bit of a thing for Stuart Copeland after we saw him coincidentally at the Top Rank. ( Some people on this site may remember a gang of punks who habitually hung out in the street outside Virgin Records being commandeered to run across the Kingsway for a shot in the Message in a Bottle video. ( I dare say stuck up, sneering, grandiose Wendy was among them and possibly 'Jennay' my "clean up woman")). Digressing slightly; I really rate John Densmore as a drummer, if you want to talk about a seemingly incongruent mix of styles coming together to form a perfect fusion in a band. Again, I also met this young drummer about 25 years ago who did, apparently, some session work with The Bangles . I just thought he was absolutely awesome and was bound to be going places but I never heard of him after that much to my surprise. I guess we aren't, not musically, but psychologically prepared to take that leap of faith in Wales. I blame it on misplaced nationalism which inevitably rears its ugly head as nepotism.
Niki Wu
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Niki Wu »

Niki Wu wrote: 31 Aug 2020, 17:19
If you say so. I thought parading through the streets of Japan with a walking cane was the [place to be seen...well maybe if you're Josh Homme and you have a captive audience. I've had a titfull of them all!
cerdan6899
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by cerdan6899 »

Niki Wu wrote: 31 Aug 2020, 17:22
Niki Wu wrote: 31 Aug 2020, 17:19
If you say so. I thought parading through the streets of Japan with a walking cane was the [place to be seen...well maybe if you're Josh Homme and you have a captive audience. I've had a titfull of them all!
There you go.....titful of whom may i ask?
Niki Wu
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Niki Wu »

Are we playing out the plot from the Crucible?
Is this the scene from Silence of the Lambs where I beckon the fluffy poodle over?

I think if it looks like malignant narcissism and it feels like malignant narcissism....there's a good chance it is malignant narcissism. I'm just wondering which one of you is the fucking psycho.
If you try to pass this post off as your own as well or try to attribute any more of your pitiful offerings to me, can I quote you on that?
cerdan6899
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by cerdan6899 »

Niki Wu wrote: 31 Aug 2020, 17:55 Are we playing out the plot from the Crucible?
Is this the scene from Silence of the Lambs where I beckon the fluffy poodle over?

I think if it looks like malignant narcissism and it feels like malignant narcissism....there's a good chance it is malignant narcissism. I'm just wondering which one of you is the fucking psycho.
If you try to pass this post off as your own as well or try to attribute any more of your pitiful offerings to me, can I quote you on that?
Who the fuck put 20p in you and what the fuck are you on about?...there you go see, i can use foul language as well. Now please, ignore my earlier post regarding Swansea, it clearly has offended you in some way. You somehow have me mixed up with someone else....
Niki Wu
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Niki Wu »

cerdan6899 wrote: 31 Aug 2020, 18:18
Niki Wu wrote: 31 Aug 2020, 17:55 Are we playing out the plot from the Crucible?

Who the fuck put 20p in you and what the fuck are you on about?...there you go see, i can use foul language as well. Now please, ignore my earlier post regarding Swansea, it clearly has offended you in some way. You somehow have me mixed up with someone else....
Would you like a list?
cerdan6899
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by cerdan6899 »

Niki Wu wrote: 31 Aug 2020, 19:33

Would you like a list?
Tell you what, write it and shove it where the sun don't shine.
Niki Wu
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Niki Wu »

cerdan6899 wrote: 31 Aug 2020, 19:38
Niki Wu wrote: 31 Aug 2020, 19:33
Would you like a list?
Tell you what, write it and shove it where the sun don't shine.
Please yourself
Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Arthur Streeb-Greebling »

cerdan6899 wrote: 31 Aug 2020, 18:18 Who the fuck put 20p in you
:lol:
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

No need for unpleasantness on this thread, on second thoughts,Ginger Baker wasn't the best drummer ever, he was technically brilliant but for me his drum solos went on to long, it was a silly thread thinking about it, you can't say anyone is greatest drummer as so many great ones, and so many different styles, off thread Jet not the greatest drummer but my fave drummer and so creative, and I still think Genetix is best drum pattern ever, I may start a new thread, ie who are your favourite 5 drummers, Mine would be Jet of course, followed by Keith moon, Ronnie Tutt from Elvis tcb band, Gene Krupa for being a pioneer and lastly Luke Rendell original theatre of hate drummer, so really it's horses for courses, certain drummers are best for certain bands. Lt Kudu.