"The Clash" became what they wanted to replace?

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

wanderlust
The Raven
The Raven

Re: "The Clash" became what they wanted to replace?

Post by wanderlust »

The clash were quite a manipulated band. They were manufactured and thrown together and their forming wasn't organic. Bernie Rhodes arranged the meeting for Strummer and Jones to get together. They claimed to be working class living in bed sits when in fact half the band members came from well off middle class backgrounds. The not going on top of the pops thing was a bit hypocritical again another one of Bernie Rhodes ideas. If they had gone on they would have shifted more records and had a better income. If that was selling out why then suddenly start playing shea stadium and massive venues?? Don't get me wrong they made some great music and deserve their place in Rock History, but their politics was ill thought out at times.
"I had a dream or a nightmare difficult to decide which"
saminblack
Ugly
Ugly

Post by saminblack »

Boody wrote:Inexplicably popular bands through Boody's lens:

Bruce Springsteen
The Jam
Oasis

I could go on; these are just the acts that spring to mind right now.

As for comedians...Peter Kay, Michael McIntyre and a load of others if I put my mind to it....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They'll be called the survivors..you know why?....cos they're gonna survive
saminblack
Ugly
Ugly

Post by saminblack »

Three of my favourite bands in the world right there Boody!! It's cool though because frankly if we all agreed on music how dull would that be.

They'll be called the survivors..you know why?....cos they're gonna survive
Boody
Ugly
Ugly
Location: Arse end of commuter land, always looking for an escape

Post by Boody »

saminblack wrote:Three of my favourite bands in the world right there Boody!! It's cool though because frankly if we all agreed on music how dull would that be.

Absolutely Saminblack - what a tedious place it would be if we had the same taste in any of the arts.
I can't help getting old. I just refuse to grow up.
Boody
Ugly
Ugly
Location: Arse end of commuter land, always looking for an escape

"The Clash" became what they wanted to replace?

Post by Boody »

wanderlust wrote:The clash were quite a manipulated band. They were manufactured and thrown together and their forming wasn't organic. Bernie Rhodes arranged the meeting for Strummer and Jones to get together. They claimed to be working class living in bed sits when in fact half the band members came from well off middle class backgrounds. The not going on top of the pops thing was a bit hypocritical again another one of Bernie Rhodes ideas. If they had gone on they would have shifted more records and had a better income. If that was selling out why then suddenly start playing shea stadium and massive venues?? Don't get me wrong they made some great music and deserve their place in Rock History, but their politics was ill thought out at times.
Punk in itself was pretty middle class. In the late 70s all the working class people I knew were soul boys going to discos and trying to dance like John Travolta.

Gob almighty Lydon made millions on property deals in the US in the 80s, so he could fund all the expensive family skiing holidays. And don't get me going on the butter adverts...
I can't help getting old. I just refuse to grow up.
ThruBeingCool
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by ThruBeingCool »

wanderlust wrote:, but their politics was ill thought out at times.
Unlike The Stranglers and their fans.
Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

Re:

Post by Jon the Impaler »

Boody wrote:
wanderlust wrote:The clash were quite a manipulated band. They were manufactured and thrown together and their forming wasn't organic. Bernie Rhodes arranged the meeting for Strummer and Jones to get together. They claimed to be working class living in bed sits when in fact half the band members came from well off middle class backgrounds. The not going on top of the pops thing was a bit hypocritical again another one of Bernie Rhodes ideas. If they had gone on they would have shifted more records and had a better income. If that was selling out why then suddenly start playing shea stadium and massive venues?? Don't get me wrong they made some great music and deserve their place in Rock History, but their politics was ill thought out at times.
Punk in itself was pretty middle class. In the late 70s all the working class people I knew were soul boys going to discos and trying to dance like John Travolta.

Gob almighty Lydon made millions on property deals in the US in the 80s, so he could fund all the expensive family skiing holidays. And don't get me going on the butter adverts...
Later on in the punk circles- when it was the likes of Discharge , Exploited, Anti Pasti , UK Subs , Upstarts etc ..... it was a very working class audience . In the early days granted it was a middle class London ( Bromley ) following but once it hit the rest of the country the audience changed a lot . The later punks were far more down to earth , but probably far less creative as well . You ended up with the oi/skinhead thing or crass/anarchy and a lot of bands in between .
All quiet ..........