"Wilko Johnson" Salisbury City Hall 13/10/16

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

"Wilko Johnson" Salisbury City Hall 13/10/16

Post by Greatkudu »

Lat time i saw Wilko was Madchester 2011 on The Stranglers Black and Blue tour,since then he has been to hell and back with his health issues.So it was great to see Wilko again at the

Infamous Salisbury City Hall,he looked a bit frail I have to say.But played with energy and soul.Sadly the gig was not a sell out,a decent crowd but they were very tame,lots of folded

arms which is odd? Bad mannered and rather ignorant.When you have the best 3 piece band in the business other than Mr Cornwell and co? The set had nothing that different in it,but who

cares.It was just a joy to see him in such fine fettle,only down side was the set was only 1hr 17mins, but no one felt short changed.Fav numbers were probably the Dr Feelgood ones,but

there wasn't any that I disliked.The sound was spot on,you could heat vocals,guitar,bass and drums crystal clear in the mix.At one point he played a song in tribute to Bob Dylan who had

been awarded a nobel prize for poetry? Or something similar.A special mention must go to the rest of the band Norman Watt Roy on the bass and Dylan Howe on drums(he has played with

Hugh in the past) Just an amazing rhythm section,possibly one of the best around.Norman Watt Roy has to be one of the best bass players around and Dylan Howe is a rock solid no frills

drummer,doing just what is needed to hold it all together.And as for Wilko his voice sounded strong and his guitar playing was sublime,a true master of his craft.And a nice chap to.

To sum up a true privilege to witness the legend that is Wiko again along with his fantastic band.Catch them while you can,you won't be disappointed.Subaltern Kudu back on black ops.
marky
Ugly
Ugly

Re: "Wilko Johnson" Salisbury City Hall 13/10/16

Post by marky »

thanks for the review
elvisintheclouds
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by elvisintheclouds »

Cheers for the review... 8)
Wilko, Norm and Dylan never disappoint!
Thank you very much
EiTC
ThruBeingCool
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by ThruBeingCool »

I have a lot of respect for Wilko but he ain't a singer. I've got one of his solo albums and whilst the music is mighty fine his vocals are basically awful.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

ThruBeingCool wrote:I have a lot of respect for Wilko but he ain't a singer. I've got one of his solo albums and whilst the music is mighty fine his vocals are basically awful.
Bit like Baz Warne,he certainly isn't a singer.Wilko's voice suits what he does,its more about the whole feel of what he plays with his band.
Boody
Ugly
Ugly
Location: Arse end of commuter land, always looking for an escape

Post by Boody »

I saw him a couple of times in pub in the 80s - he was playing 75 minute sets then. I think Solid Senders was at one point the highest paid pub act in the country. F*ck knows why I retain trivia like this, when I can only just remember my colleagues' names these days.
I can't help getting old. I just refuse to grow up.
bellainblack
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by bellainblack »

ThruBeingCool wrote:I have a lot of respect for Wilko but he ain't a singer. I've got one of his solo albums and whilst the music is mighty fine his vocals are basically awful.
He does a mighty fine rendition of John Lee Hooker's Boom Boom!
She was poetry in a world that was still learning the alphabet....