Killing Joke Butlins Bognor Regious

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

pigeon
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Killing Joke Butlins Bognor Regious

Post by pigeon »

I had been looking forward to this when it was booked 3 and a half months previously. Originally i didn't know that they were at the festival, until a couple of weeks after it was booked. So it was a nice suprise. My previous expierence of Killing Joke had been up to this point.

1. Watching them live at Sonisphere Festival 2009, with not much of an interest. Other than Metallica coverd one of there songs.
2. Forum have a compelation CD made for me by Rodney Blackstaff forum member. Listend to it, i liked some of it. But not all of it
3. Watch them perform a 25 minute set at the Metal Hammer Golden God awards last year. Still not fully Convinced by them Am i ever going to like this band or see what the big deal is about them?
4. Listen to their new single "Euphoria" and i liked it very much, so i bought the album "Pylon" and thought it was Excellent, it just hits you in the face from the first song "Autonomos Zone" to the last song "Into The Unkown". With great songs on it such as "New Cold War","New Jerusalem", "War on Freedom", the brilliant "Euphoria", "I am the Virus", "Big Buz" and "Delete". I continue to listen to this until i see an add on facebook that they are playing the Brixton Academy in November 4th. So i snap up a ticket for that straight away.
5. By the first album and listen to some of the albums on you tube. I like the heavier side to the band,the last few releases and one from 2003.

6. See them at Butlins Bognor Regious. During the afternoon there was a film called "The Death And Ressurection Show". This film apparently has taken 10 years to make. And is shown in the Bognor Regious Cinema. The film is a very long film and it is in Chronilogical order, so it is very educational to new coming fans like me. It tells how the band members met in Cheltenham. The Two main members of the band are Singer and Keyboard player Jaz Coleman, and bass player Youth,who later switched to Guitar, Big Paul Fergeson on Drums, and Geordie Walker on Guitars.

The film talks about there rise to fame, and Jaz colemans eventual first departure where he initally vanished and went to Iceland. There is a lot of mentionings of the Occult and Jaz and youths interest in it, and the flim has the aura of mystrey that has surrounded the band for years and to what lengths Jaz went to go to other Countries to carry out these Rituals. The film also has Jaz's classical musical Education, and how he has become a Priest.

Onto the gig itself I reconised the introtape from the band Ghost. They use the same tape. As it it is butlins, i think it will be more of a "hit" set and they start off with "Love like Blood", and "Eighties". Thats the crowd warmed up, next the opener from the brilliant new album "Pylon" "Autononmus Zone". "Exocrisim" is up next follwed by another crowd pleaser "Reqiuem". Next more from "Pylon" and one of my favourites on the album "I am The Virus", and one of my favourites "Change".

"Turn To Red" follows i don't know this one at the time, but the brilliant "Bloodsport" from the debut album is up next. A large chunk of the debut album is played and "Complications" follows. Now more from "Pylon" "Dawn Of the Hive". "Whiteout" follows, and then another one of my favouries the awesome bside "Physce". This is on of the highlights of the gig for me with the new material. They close the main set with 1995s "pandemonium".

They come back onstasge for a 5 song encore 3 of which i am non to familer with "Empire Song", The Beautifull Dead" & "unspeakable". They close the set with Jaz saying "It seems theres only going to be a 3rd world war when we go on tour" and he shouts "Wardance". which is very good and they finish off with "The Wait". I enjoyed the set and they played really well. Looking forward to the Brixton Academy gig on November 4th.
jetblacksdad
Ugly
Ugly

Re: Killing Joke Butlins Bognor Regious

Post by jetblacksdad »

This pleases my soul!

I've been a massive fan for years and have had the pleasure of working with the late , great Raven when he produced my band and we released our stuff on the legendary Malicious Damage label that was set up for KJ.
I've even played Geordie's golden harps the ES-295s that he has made so iconic . I said to him "It's amazing you trust people like me to play them" He laughed and said "I don't!"

Buy all the albums - some better than others - but it's essential to understand them.Look out particularly for the Extremities album.
Look out for the first 5 albums coming out on picture disc in the near future
+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+
elvisintheclouds
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by elvisintheclouds »

Great review Pidge 8)
Thank you very much
EiTC
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

Nice one Pigeon.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Bobinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Bobinblack »

Okay then, seeing as no one else is rude enough to ask him - Pidge, how the fuckity fuck can you spell Regis like that?
Think I'll go for a stroll in the trees.
Bobinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Bobinblack »

:lol:
Think I'll go for a stroll in the trees.
ThruBeingCool
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by ThruBeingCool »

Great review Pidge! See ya in Brixton.
gizzard
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by gizzard »

ThruBeingCool wrote:Great review Pidge! See ya in Brixton.
See you both there! :smt006
''I THINK THE STRANGLERS ARE CRIMINALLY VULGAR, VIOLENT AND VORACIOUS, AND I OFTEN WONDER HOW THEY GET AWAY WITH IT.''
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

Does anyone know when their new album of new versions of old songs with the orchestra is due out?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
jetblacksdad
Ugly
Ugly

Post by jetblacksdad »

No date set. Not even recorded yet I believe.

Live album planned for the Brixton Nov 4th gig. Recorded on the Friday, Mixed over the weekend and shipped on CDR that week with vinyl to follow

http://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/kil ... er=popular
+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+
pigeon
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by pigeon »

Bobinblack wrote:Okay then, seeing as no one else is rude enough to ask him - Pidge, how the fuckity fuck can you spell Regis like that?

I bought the Bgnor Regies Tea towl aswell. Kev says "Jaz mate he doesn't need to go to a mountain in india to discover his inner self, i can tell you now mate his a f*cking idiot and save you the airfare!"

See you at Brixton Thru Being Cool and Gizzard!.
Hammer
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Hammer »

A review from John Robb.
http://louderthanwar.com/killing-joke-r ... -festival/

Also quite a good interview with Paul Ferguson.
http://louderthanwar.com/big-paul-ferguson-interview/

Didn't think I would be able to make the 4th, but have manged to arrange it. Looking forward to this one.
Never thought I would say this about any band, but I hope they play a lot of their newer stuff. 8)
To offend, or be offended is purely subjective.