Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Boody
Ugly
Ugly
Location: Arse end of commuter land, always looking for an escape

Gig review - The Damned, Sub89, 18!August 2016

Post by Boody »

An only slightly saddened Boody, knowing that he wouldn't have the pleasure of Pidge's company, negotiated the seventh circle of hell that is Reading's one way system, to get to Sub89 for around 8:10.

The support act was a familiar looking man not in the first flush of youth, with a powerful voice and acoustic guitar. "Hold on" I think, "I know that face". Then it clicks - it is Edward Tudor Pole! A really good fun set, inevitably finished off by Swords of a Thousand Men, via Friggin' in the Riggin', Who killed Bambi, and a number of other songs that were new to me. He put his all into the songs and was really good entertainment.

On to the main attraction. Having seen the mighty MiB there a couple of years ago, I wonder if something is put into the water in Reading, or maybe the locals don't get out much. Or possibly it's a hideout for violent offenders that have just escaped from Reading Gaol. Because they went NUTS! You know the type - all fists, elbows and shoves. A great set - full list is already on setlist.fm - but quite a lot of tunes from the Black album, the obvious fave's such as Neat neat neat, Alone again or (fantastically played), Eloise, and the final number of the night, Smash it up. At one point someone had his arm round my neck (all friendly, like) and later on it felt like someone was biting my shoulder. On reflection, I think it was just some particularly sharp stubble. At least I hope it was.

They take it all very well but I wonder what the band think when after 40 years of playing and recording, the best received song of the night is their very first single, released in 1976. It was a cracking version though. I wonder if she really is going out with him.

All in all a great night. Next time I go to Sub89 I might look into body armour options.
I can't help getting old. I just refuse to grow up.
gjinblack
Ugly
Ugly

Re: Gig review - The Damned, Sub89, 18!August 2016

Post by gjinblack »

Good review. Great to get to a gig like that now and again!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
euromanc-ometh
elvisintheclouds
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by elvisintheclouds »

Nice one Boody 8)
Thank you very much
EiTC
pigeon
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by pigeon »

Great review mate. Gutted i couldn't be there realised i didn't give myself enough time to be there after i finished work by an hour or so. Alway's wanted to go to the Reading Sub 89 aswell. Looking forward to the 40th Aniversary tour. A nice few songs from DDD they don't play that often.
jetblacksdad
Ugly
Ugly

Post by jetblacksdad »

Saw them the night before in Gloucester and they were fantastic.
Vanian is singing so much better in the latter part of their career. The band was tight and enthusiastic and the songs had pace and energy.
Great to hear The Limit Club. Thought Pinch was looking a bit fat on the drums!! Monty is still a plonker but shout out to Stu West on bass. He's bang on that fella. Very understated and workmanlike but solid as fook.

Really, I love The Damned. Something special about them. Think it's the chemistry between Sensible and Vanian.
+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+
gizzard
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by gizzard »

jetblacksdad wrote:Saw them the night before in Gloucester and they were fantastic.
Vanian is singing so much better in the latter part of their career. The band was tight and enthusiastic and the songs had pace and energy.
Great to hear The Limit Club. Thought Pinch was looking a bit fat on the drums!! Monty is still a plonker but shout out to Stu West on bass. He's bang on that fella. Very understated and workmanlike but solid as fook.

Really, I love The Damned. Something special about them. Think it's the chemistry between Sensible and Vanian.
I was there also, you should have said Hi.

I was wearing my Stranglers Wonky Bus 1 t shirt.
''I THINK THE STRANGLERS ARE CRIMINALLY VULGAR, VIOLENT AND VORACIOUS, AND I OFTEN WONDER HOW THEY GET AWAY WITH IT.''
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Boody wrote:An only slightly saddened Boody, knowing that he wouldn't have the pleasure of Pidge's company, negotiated the seventh circle of hell that is Reading's one way system, to get to Sub89 for around 8:10.

The support act was a familiar looking man not in the first flush of youth, with a powerful voice and acoustic guitar. "Hold on" I think, "I know that face". Then it clicks - it is Edward Tudor Pole! A really good fun set, inevitably finished off by Swords of a Thousand Men, via Friggin' in the Riggin', Who killed Bambi, and a number of other songs that were new to me. He put his all into the songs and was really good entertainment.

On to the main attraction. Having seen the mighty MiB there a couple of years ago, I wonder if something is put into the water in Reading, or maybe the locals don't get out much. Or possibly it's a hideout for violent offenders that have just escaped from Reading Gaol. Because they went NUTS! You know the type - all fists, elbows and shoves. A great set - full list is already on setlist.fm - but quite a lot of tunes from the Black album, the obvious fave's such as Neat neat neat, Alone again or (fantastically played), Eloise, and the final number of the night, Smash it up. At one point someone had his arm round my neck (all friendly, like) and later on it felt like someone was biting my shoulder. On reflection, I think it was just some particularly sharp stubble. At least I hope it was.

They take it all very well but I wonder what the band think when after 40 years of playing and recording, the best received song of the night is their very first single, released in 1976. It was a cracking version though. I wonder if she really is going out with him.

All in all a great night. Next time I go to Sub89 I might look into body armour options.
Good review,Would you say The Damned are better than The Stranglers live these days? I know its a silly question.But The Damned seem to be playing better than ever at the moment.
Boody
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Boody »

I wouldn't be able to say - this is the first time I have seen them since 1977 - but I certainly want to see them again before too long.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Boody wrote:I wouldn't be able to say - this is the first time I have seen them since 1977 - but I certainly want to see them again before too long.
I have only seen them twice Salisbury in 2002 and Blackpool punkfest in 2007,I was always a fan but recently have got in to them again.As needed a break

from The Stranglers,I will see them in November hopefully.They have one plus over The Stranglers and that is the original frontman Mr Vanian.His voice just

gets better and better,a real cool guy and he has an air of mystery about him.
Boody
Ugly
Ugly

Gig review - The Damned, Sub89, 18!August 2016

Post by Boody »

jetblacksdad wrote:Saw them the night before in Gloucester and they were fantastic.

Yes I think Dave and the good Captain work well together. At Sub89 Monty's keyboards were very low in the mix - he certainly couldn't compete with Sensible's psyche/punk guitar. It didn't detract from the evening though.