Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Boody
Ugly
Ugly
Location: Arse end of commuter land, always looking for an escape

Gig review - Dickies, The Underworld, 12 August 2016

Post by Boody »

Where do I start? I have been a Dickies fan since I heard their version of Banana Splits some decades ago. So to....

The venue. The Underworld is a great venue - down some steps to the bar then down some more to the stage, so there was the option to either mosh by the band or observe the mayhem from above, like some latter day senator overseeing the massed horde of gladiators.

The fans. Quite a mix - I had an MiB t-shirt, there was a Damned one and a whole heap of Ramones - which gives you an idea of the main act's sound and energy levels.

The support act. I missed the first, but the second was Louise Distras. With just an acoustic guitar and very powerful voice she can across a bit like a terribly angry Michelle Shocked. Her set was a very entertaining half hour or so.

The Dickies. Four guys came on stage - bassist like an out of condition pro wrestler, drummer wearing collared shirt and bow tie, one guitarist who wasn't born when the Dickies released Banana Splits and main man Stan Lee. They started with a hilariously fast version of Nights in White Satin. A couple more numbers and things get a bit....bizarre. Stan tells us that their regular lead vocalist could not make it, so a succession of guest vocalists grace the stage. There's the guy who runs the merchandising stall, who sings like a proper Dickie and dances like some sort of comedy Ian Curtis. He is followed by one of the roadies, the underworld's manager, and someone that according to Stan is "just out of prison, I think". And a couple of other random guest singers.

Meanwhile, in the mosh pit.... things go from quiet to manic in the space of a couple of numbers. I get a couple of beer shampoos courtesy of some excitable punters, and the aforementioned occupant of the Damned t-shirt was getting very boisterous.

Things predictably finished with Banana Splits, via Breaking the law (bafflingly preceded by Stan the man asking "are there any Nickelback fans out there?"), Paranoid and a number of Dickies originals, including Gigantor, Minnie Moe and Jack and Toxic Avenger. Around 75 minutes of pop punk mania.

So all in all, a fun way to spend an evening in a great venue. I celebrated by buying a t-shirt. My daughter has banned me from wearing it in her presence. I have no idea why.
IMG_0354.JPG
IMG_0354.JPG (253.89 KiB) Viewed 1710 times
PS the tour is called "Brexit to Palookaville", but it wasn't a particularly political evening - no po-faced Clashisms.
I can't help getting old. I just refuse to grow up.
Cells&Plasma
The Raven
The Raven

Re: Gig review - Dickies, The Underworld, 12 August 2016

Post by Cells&Plasma »

Great Review...thanks.

Sent from my SM-G900K using Tapatalk
Bag Lady
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by Bag Lady »

Well worth adding the few extra words to the original eight :smile:

Great review, thanks 8)
No one can win against kipple.
Bobinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Bobinblack »

Great review. I forking loved the Dickies and still have big fondness for them. Only seen them once though :shock:

Twas a great gig, brilliant fun. Loved all their cover songs but You Drive Me Ape, Fan Mail and Gigantor were poss my favourites, I'm not sure if they're originals or not. Guitar intro in Ape is sommat special.
Think I'll go for a stroll in the trees.
laurie
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by laurie »

I remember going to see them at the Newcastle City Hall
They were supported by Chelsea whos lead singer Gene
October told fans to smash the place up one or two seats
got wrecked and the plug was pulled on them
When the Dickies took to the stage all was well then fans started chanting for Chelsea and the Dickies walked off never to return
do you wanna
Boody
Ugly
Ugly
Location: Arse end of commuter land, always looking for an escape

Post by Boody »

Bobinblack wrote:Great review. I forking loved the Dickies and still have big fondness for them. Only seen them once though :shock:

Twas a great gig, brilliant fun. Loved all their cover songs but You Drive Me Ape, Fan Mail and Gigantor were poss my favourites, I'm not sure if they're originals or not. Guitar intro in Ape is sommat special.
I think all of those songs are Dickies originals.
I can't help getting old. I just refuse to grow up.
PaulinLondon
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by PaulinLondon »

Thank you for a great review.
"Madame, Be in no doubt as to the seriousness of your position". The Day of the Jackal, 1973.