Moderator: StanInBlack

Boody
Ugly
Ugly
Location: Arse end of commuter land, always looking for an escape

Vibrators at the Pipeline, 18 June 2016

Post by Boody »

So where do I start...

First, by saying I can only hope to approach the high standard set by the likes of Mully, Elivs, Pidge et al in gig reviews. So here goes.....

Second, the venue. The Pipeline is a pretty run of the mill pub serving pretty decent beer and, apparently, Japanese food. I stuck to the former. It also had a big telly screen and I arrived just in time to see Icelandic hearts broken by a Hungary equaliser. Punters were a curious mix of trendy Islington types and ageing rockers. I got chatting to a couple of very friendly chaps, who work in an Andrex factory making toilet rolls. Honest. They were there to see...

The support act. Going down the stairs from the main bar into the venue itself, I was faced with a room looking similar to the Hope and Anchor, maybe about 50% bigger. My new Andrex chums had come just to see the support act, a trio called the Bermondsey Joyriders. Who were really very good! Current members formally in Chelsea, Heavy Metal Kids and the Cock Sparrers (no, me neither) according to the toilet roll twins, they played tight, fast numbers with lyrics that were often witty. Highlight was a tribute to Brian Jones, that might or might no have been tongue in cheek. They were dressed just slightly like ageing Bay City Rollers...
Image1466852381.959533.jpg
Image1466852381.959533.jpg (246.34 KiB) Viewed 2597 times
The main event. Well I once owned the Vibrators debut, Pure Mania, on vinyl, and I think they played only one or two tracks from it, to my surprise. They are now a three piece - the only original member is the drummer - and they played tight and fast - a decent set that makes me want to investigate their back catalogue. They all sung at various times and the sound was loud and dirty. Loo roll boys and the whole crowd were bopping away for 90 minutes - the guy next to me could have been one EiTC's old brother - all hair and smiles.

All in all, very good use of £8.80 plus drinking money. Plus the pub had the best gents toilet sign I have ever seen.
Attachments
Image1466852236.228353.jpg
Image1466852236.228353.jpg (75.13 KiB) Viewed 2600 times
I can't help getting old. I just refuse to grow up.
gjinblack
Ugly
Ugly

Re: Vibrators at the Pipeline, 18 June 2016

Post by gjinblack »

Great read. Vibrators sound like they still have it.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
euromanc-ometh
mickinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by mickinblack »

Thanks for the review.
Great photos to.
Bag Lady
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by Bag Lady »

Thanks for the review. Didn't you take a picture of the ladies loos?
No one can win against kipple.
Rockula
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Rockula »

Last time I was there the men's toilets also had pictures of scantily clad ladies above the urinals.

I've no idea what photos the ladies have in theirs.
ManInBrown
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Cool beans - not sure I wanna see the Vibrators with just 1 original band member though. Think I saw the full lineup?! at first Holiday In The Sun fest in 96

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
evonx
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by evonx »

Another line up (with Knox and our own John Ellis and Gary Tibbs) is also doing gigs and a single for charity soon?
Last edited by evonx on 28 Jun 2016, 15:38, edited 1 time in total.
--eric--
i was attracted by a night torchlight parade
and there i came
Rockula
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Rockula »

evonx wrote:Another line up (with Knox and our own John Ellis and Gary Tibbs) is also doing gigs and a single for chatiry soon?
They already did a couple of reunion gigs with the current line-up on the same bill and encores with all the members on stage.
Knox appears with the current line-up occasionally but not regularly since he had a 'health scare' a couple of year's back.
He also runs "ROCK 'N' ROLL RESCUE", a music based charity shop in Camden.
Knox is 70.
ManInBrown
elvisintheclouds
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by elvisintheclouds »

Cheers for the review Mr Boody Sir 8)
Thank you very much
EiTC
MULLY
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by MULLY »

Caught the Bermondsey Joyriders a few years ago in the 100 Club with Rat Scabies on drums. Fast, catchy sorta proto-punk but overall nothing to write home about.

Will never forgive The Vibrators (in fact it was a John Ellis composition I believe) for that song on their Pure Mania album (track 5/B-side) - GGRRrrrrr - if it hadn't been for those pesky kids!!
Allow me to re-arrange your face, sometimes I'd really like to get to know you better
ThruBeingCool
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by ThruBeingCool »

"If it wasn't for your Stiff Little Fingers, no one would know you were dead!"

Great song off a classic album. V2 also one of the best early punk albums IMHO. Not much to get excited about after that though from what I've heard.

Good review btw.
Boody
Ugly
Ugly
Location: Arse end of commuter land, always looking for an escape

Post by Boody »

Bag Lady wrote:Thanks for the review. Didn't you take a picture of the ladies loos?
No, I couldn't work out who was being depicted. Will take a snap of it next time I'm there and maybe someone can tell me who it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I can't help getting old. I just refuse to grow up.