Bruce Springsteen - Manchester - 25 May 2016

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

PaulinLondon
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by PaulinLondon »

I have been bludgeoned to near death by a mate to see "The Boss" at this concert.

If he plays, "I'm on Fire", I will be happy.

The gig is supposed to last four hours.

Help.

Four hours of Bruce must equal 16 piss breaks ?

:smt100
"Madame, Be in no doubt as to the seriousness of your position". The Day of the Jackal, 1973.
saminblack
Ugly
Ugly

Post by saminblack »

I will be there too my friend and you need have no fears you are heading for a brilliant night.

He is doing the whole of The River album followed by a mix of oldies that changes every set and you will I am sure be won over. It will be my seventh time of watching my second favourite artist of all time (not many I know but he goes years without playing a UK tour) and my excitement levels are already enormous – as they were the first time i stepped onto the hallowed turf of Wembley to see him in 1985.

The man is a giant. A top man like your good self deserves such a treat.

Enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by saminblack on 25 May 2016, 09:05, edited 1 time in total.
They'll be called the survivors..you know why?....cos they're gonna survive
mickinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Re: Bruce Springsteen - Manchester - 25 May 2016

Post by mickinblack »

I've seen the Boss a good few times now and live he he very good.
The show is always around 3 to 4 hours and rarely a surport

He also changes a lot of the songs in the set each night, If you like the songs by Bruce then your gonna love him live.
PaulinLondon
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by PaulinLondon »

Thank you Gentlemen.

Let's hope for the best.

Sam - enjoy the show and hopefully we might bump into each other (in the mosh pit ?)
"Madame, Be in no doubt as to the seriousness of your position". The Day of the Jackal, 1973.
saminblack
Ugly
Ugly

Post by saminblack »

That would be a moment Paulo

MiB81
The Raven
The Raven

Post by MiB81 »

PaulinLondon wrote:Thank you Gentlemen.

Let's hope for the best.

Sam - enjoy the show and hopefully we might bump into each other (in the mosh pit ?)
Look on the bright side, he may do London Calling again.
Though I doubt it.
I'm On Fire I could handle, couple of good tunes on the Nebraska album too, I reckon, but
that's about it for me and "The Boss" I'm afraid.
...I'm making lists of all the people I love,
and all the cunts that should fuck off...
PaulinLondon
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by PaulinLondon »

It was good.

Quite a lively mosh going on for the faster numbers. His dedicated fan base adore him - he has them in a sort of spiritual trance. At times it was like being in a packed church with loads of middle aged devotees holding their arms up to the lord.

£6 each for small bottles of wine didn't impress me but hey ho, one proceeds nonetheless.

Some fans seemed concerned that Bruce might be calling it a day soon on the live circuit.

Well done Bruce, keep up the good work.
saminblack
Ugly
Ugly

Post by saminblack »

A slightly longer review this one which I just posted on Facebook. I'm glad you enjoyed it paul as I think you'll see from below not quite as much as I did!!!

Forgive me one more indulgent Springsteen review (for those not interested move away from this post now!) but I simply had to record something about last night's epic Manchester gig. And once a journo always a journo…

There was many reasons why yesterday's outdoor concert should've been a disaster. For some reason every stretch of motorway decided to have roadworks and accidents on it and Manchester had also decided it would be a good day to shut up shop. As a result my trek from Gloucester which is only a 270 mile round trip saw me in the car for nine very long hours and I today read on a Springsteen forum that a lot of people actually gave up and went home because they thought they were never going to get to the gig. Add to the fact that Manchester lived up to one of its favourite stereotypes by just opening up its heavens to rain on us all day so those of us standing on the pitch got totally drenched and the whole night should've been a washout.

But it wasn't. Oh boy it wasn't.

For those who don't know what a Springsteen live experience is all about, here is a man who's been recording albums since the early 70s, is now into his pensionable age and yet still has the energy, enthusiasm and total commitment of somebody starting their first garage band at home. We all get old and cynical as we age but Bruce has done the ageing thing but left the cynicism at home. He still cares what he does and how he does it and the end result proves that spectacularly.

Every set list is totally different and much of it is spontaneously created by some suggestions in the audience and you could never, ever feel short changed by it. As an example last night Bruce came on to stage at 6.50 and left at 10:05 having not had a break or anything. That's Three hours and 15 minutes of pure entertainment from a man who plays guitar on every track, sings extremely complicated lyrics with a big vocal range on every track and has to sustain not only the rest of the band but the entire audience as its focal point. And he does it magnificently.

The tour is called the River Tour because it is based mainly around material from the classic 1981 album of the same name. At. some of the early gigs abroad he has done the whole of the album in chronological order but Bruce being Bruce he has decided that was too restrictive and has mixed it up a bit. So although we still had half of it – generally the more poppy/rocky efforts – at this gig he threw in all sorts of other material with stuff from his early days and large chunk from his very commercially successful albums like 'born to run', 'darkness on the edge of town' and 'born in the USA'
Along with the 'river' stuff these three albums dominated the set and I got the impression last night that Bruce was just in a very, very playful mood as every song seemed to be of the singalong, dance along, let yourself go along variety. This saw the whole of the Etihad Stadium (and isn't that a fantastic football cathedral by the way?) taking over the lead vocal duty on tracks like 'thunder Road', 'hungry heart' 'dancing in the dark', 'because the night', 'Atlantic City', 'badlands' and of course the unbelievably powerful 'born to run' which is and always will be totally stunning live song.

Yes nine hours in the car eating every snack going and getting caught in every traffic jam going is no fun but when that is sandwiched around more than three hours in the hands of the ultimate musical show man then it is worth every frustrating travelling minutes.

Bruce is now 66 and the rest of his band are about that age as well so whenever you think to yourself ' I'm too old to do XYZ m' just think what this man is doing every night and the passion, zeal and incredibly intensity that he brings to everything he does. He should be a life inspiration as well as a musical one.

I've seen Springsteen a few times now and it's always hard to compare gigs alt different times because they're often about the circumstances in your own life as well as what you see on on the stage but I can genuinely say I've never had so much fun as I had at the concert last night. It was just a joyous, wonderful and life affirming night in the hands of a man who didn't get the name 'the boss' for no reason.

I'm already jealous of my friends who are going to see him elsewhere on this mini tour because last night showed again why I genuinely believe Bruce Springsteen is a genius, a musical legend, an all-inspiring folk hero and the greatest living American.

Thank you Bruce. And thank you for the rest of you you're still reading. If indeed anybody is

PaulinLondon
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by PaulinLondon »

Sam,

You know The Boss better than me but that is a finely crafted and genuine post.

A great read.

PiL
dreamtime101
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by dreamtime101 »

Great review, Sam :smt023