Re: How good is the new Radiohead song?

Post by Hammersmith1982 »

Not bad at all :grin: :grin:
pigeon
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by pigeon »

Just listend to the new album, i bought it for £9 on MP3 file format. Its called "A Moon Shaped Pool" there are 11 songs on it

1. Burn the Witch
Obviously we know this one already, it's really grown on me in the last few days.

2. Daydreamer we heard this a couple of days ago. I like this slow keyboard intro,which sounds like someone is infact Dreaming, Yorkes vocal instrumental in this. Good Song

3. Decks Dark
A good beat, with two different keyboards going off at once,again Yorkes vocal up in the mix, the band are playing very well,the trademark Phil Selway trademark Drumbeat, and the first signs of the Electric Guitar. Yorkes singing slow remeince reminders of Subtarinan Homesick Alien On Ok Computer

4.Desert Island Disk
Starts of with Drumbeat and An Acoustic Guitar, which sounds like Indian Citar Music on Acoustic Guitar. You think you have heard one of the riffs before. A soft yorke vocal singing about the spirit life. This song is Ok.

5.Ful Stop
This is one song Radiohead have played live since 2012, it has changed a bit since its 2012's live debut with a drum machine drum beat with Colins bass sounding like a fuzzbox, the second feature of the electric guitar and a keyboard with a grooving bassline that works really well with the drumming. yorke Sings "you really must stop everything" a song about going back and changing your mistakes you have made along the way, but he also sings "Dont be trapped in your Ful Stop" and let the good times come again. The Drums and Bass are a feature in this which drives the song with a synth in the background.

6. Glass Eye
Starts of with a wavey Synth sound which is very much in vein to Codex from The king of limbs, the song is just Yorke and the synth

7.Identikit
Ok we already know this one as it has been in circulation live for the last few years

8.The Numbers
I think we already know this one aswell, but i really like this one reminds me of Melatolin a Pearly parts 1 and 2 togehter, and i love those bsides. Brilliant lyrics from Yorke aswell

9.Present Tence
Acoustic guitar, and drum intro with yorke going OOO ooo OOOO ooo OOOO ooo OOO in the background i really like this song. Yorke Singing about Self Defence against the present Tence, Yorke Singing You Are Lost, You are lost. A Great drumbeat appears with synth sounds

10.Tinker Tailer Soldier Sailor Rich Man Poor Man Beggar Man Thief
The only thing to say about this songs intro think of everything weird Kid A

11. True Love Waits. We already know this one, but it has had a differnt recorded version with yorke on a synth singng the song very slowly.

Album of the year for me
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

I've been listening to the new album quite a lot. If 'OK Computer' was their take on Pink Floyd, and 'Kid A' was their take on mid '90s Warp Records, Krautrock and ambient music, then this record is kinda their take on late-period Talk Talk, in the mostly laid-back vibe to the material, and a lot of emphasis on string and horn sections. It's heavily produced, but still quite organic and beautifully recorded. 'Tinker Tailor...' is my least favourite on there, but I still like it a lot. Great record - can't call it my album of the year, but it's a contender.
Bobinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Bobinblack »

I think the video might be banned soon as the originators of Trumptonshire are upset that the style has been used without permission. It's brilliant though, great track as well.
Think I'll go for a stroll in the trees.
jetblacksdad
Ugly
Ugly

Post by jetblacksdad »

I found it hideous, drivel, dull, gloomy, miserable.

Truly awful. And that's a shame because I have enjoyed so much of their stuff in the past.
+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+
jonimac
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by jonimac »

I listened to it a lot last week while doing some decorating, and it struck me that like many of their Post Ok Computer albums, it's good background music but in no way moves you.
I took the dog out for a walk, stuck on The Bends on my Ipod and realised how great they used to be.
From Glasgow, the centre of Stranglermania (copyright Strangled 1982)
jetblacksdad
Ugly
Ugly

Post by jetblacksdad »

jonimac wrote:I listened to it a lot last week while doing some decorating, and it struck me that like many of their Post Ok Computer albums, it's good background music but in no way moves you.
I took the dog out for a walk, stuck on The Bends on my Ipod and realised how great they used to be.
Exactly.

That was the best period.
+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Speak for yourselves, guys, I think there's quite a lot of moving moments on the post-'OK Computer' LPs. Some of them are even on the new LP. I loved 'The Bends' at the time, and still do, and I'm nowhere near as down on it as post-'OK Computer' fans of the band are, but I like a lot of the directions they've taken their music in. If they'd continued to churn out records like 'The Bends' for the rest of their career, they'd be seen as relics now. When Coldplay and Travis try and pinch your sound, it's time to move on - and they did.
pigeon
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by pigeon »

I have recentley Burned the album on to CD. So i can listen to it on my HI FI now instead of the annoying laptop. It's a decent album. Trouble is theres not many "new" songs on there so to speak, many of them at least 5 of them have been around on the internet, bootlegs and even released by the band themseleves in "True love waits" case before. But i do like the new version with Thom and the keyboard. I think the story of the baby being left at home byhimself for a weekend when the parent's went out clubbing for the weekend,was a metaphore that described Thom's childhood of his dad being an Alcoholic,and being a terrible Dad,but the mum didn't leave him because it was enough for her just to stay and not leave. So "True love waits" fits with the meaning of the title.

"Present Tence" i think is the best of the new songs. I still don't understand the slagging off "The King of Limbs" gets most Radiohead fans on the Radiohead forums say it's amoung the best things they have done. I also don't get the Video on where they copied it from? was it a Cartoon in the 70s or something?
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

pigeon wrote:I have recentley Burned the album on to CD. So i can listen to it on my HI FI now instead of the annoying laptop. It's a decent album. Trouble is theres not many "new" songs on there so to speak, many of them at least 5 of them have been around on the internet, bootlegs and even released by the band themseleves in "True love waits" case before.
Yeah... but Pidge, this has near-enough always been the case with this band. Okay, 'True Love Waits' has been kicking around since 1995 (and they released a live version of it in 2001 or thereabouts), but you seem to forget that 'Nude' was a decade-old song before it appeared on In Rainbows, and 'Morning Mr. Magpie' had been around for 9 years before it appeared on The King of Limbs... and 'Separator' and 'Give Up The Ghost' had been floating around the internet too, and 'The Daily Mail' had been around for a while as well!

What amazes me is just how much stuff they had during the Kid A/Amnesiac period which is still finding its way onto albums even now.
pigeon
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by pigeon »

StanInBlack wrote:
pigeon wrote:I have recentley Burned the album on to CD. So i can listen to it on my HI FI now instead of the annoying laptop. It's a decent album. Trouble is theres not many "new" songs on there so to speak, many of them at least 5 of them have been around on the internet, bootlegs and even released by the band themseleves in "True love waits" case before.
Yeah... but Pidge, this has near-enough always been the case with this band. Okay, 'True Love Waits' has been kicking around since 1995 (and they released a live version of it in 2001 or thereabouts), but you seem to forget that 'Nude' was a decade-old song before it appeared on In Rainbows, and 'Morning Mr. Magpie' had been around for 9 years before it appeared on The King of Limbs... and 'Separator' and 'Give Up The Ghost' had been floating around the internet too, and 'The Daily Mail' had been around for a while as well!

What amazes me is just how much stuff they had during the Kid A/Amnesiac period which is still finding its way onto albums even now.
Yes i remember your right there. I remember quite a few songs they have had kicking round for a while. One in 95 was called "Lift", then you had some from the "Ok Computer" sessions a brilliant song called "Follow me Around" that never got released and "Nude" was called "Big Ideas".
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Yep, 'Big Boots' too!