Top albums of 2015

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

parasiteinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Top albums of 2015

Post by parasiteinblack »

Looking through my record collection it turns out I've bought more albums than usual this year, here's my run down of the top 10 best albums I've bought this year.

1. Grimes - Art Angels. Possibly a bit hipster of me, but some great tunes on it (particularly California, Flesh Without Blood and Kill vs Main). A late entry but it's been on repeat at Parasite HQ.
2. Ash - Kablammo! Their most solid album since Free All Angels, a great single in Cocoon and an awesome instrumental called Evel Knievel. There's a little contribution from me on Go! Fight! Win!
3. Christian Death - The Root of All Evilution. Quite an atmospheric one for Christian Death, much less metallic than recent releases and a lot more gothic. Slow, brooding and menacing.
4. Marina & The Diamonds - Froot. A big step up from the Electra Heart album, introspective lyrics but interesting musical arrangements too. Highlights are Savages and Froot.
5. The The - Hyena. Possibly the best of Matt Johnson's soundtrack albums (although Moonbug was great too) and also the most varied and eclectic. There's even a vocal track at the end. Hooray!
6. Blancmange - Nil By Mouth. A cool instrumental album which I've enjoyed more than the vocal album this year. Essentially background music but interesting nonetheless.
7. Legendary Pink Dots - Five Days. Of the many releases from the Dots this year this is probably the one I've enjoyed the most, possibly because there are more deviations from the standard "Ka Spel ramble over a synthy backdrop" than other recent releases.
8. Love Buzzard - Antifistamines. Former Parasite and college mate of mine Kevin and a drummer get a big noisy album released and it's pretty good! Dirty rock and roll, stripped down and loud. Check it out.
9. FFS - FFS. Didn't quite live up to the expectations but some good tracks came from the Sparks/Franz Ferdinand collaboration. Police Encounters was my favourite.
10. Django Django - Born Under Saturn. Reflections was a great single and the album sounds fantastic but on the whole it doesn't add much to what Django Django did on their first album.

Honorary mentions:
Also this year saw non-album single releases from The Offspring, Sparks, Legendary Pink Dots and the Stranglers/Simple Minds collaboration. It's been an interesting year for music with more people taking risks and taking advantage of things like bandcamp etc. nice!

Well there we go, anyone else got any opinions on these albums? Anyone else find any even better?
Here's looking forward to 2016 and the hope of some new Stranglers material.
"I woke up on a good day, and the world was wonderful"
gjinblack
Ugly
Ugly

Re: Top albums of 2015

Post by gjinblack »

Good thread starting here I hope. I've bought a fair bit myself this year but not much new material, more a discovery of stuff I didn't have time or money for back then. Major discovery is Killing Joke, finally got around to a listen and like what I hear. I'll have a look through and see if there's any new material to review.
Nod to Rockula because I have a Men That Will Not Be Blamed For Nothing album that's good and I think he mentioned them so I gave them a go.
Any other suggestions gratefully received!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
euromanc-ometh
Boody
Ugly
Ugly
Location: Arse end of commuter land, always looking for an escape

Post by Boody »

There's a Boss Tuneage 4 CD compilation - Too Much Music, Too Many Bands - that I think was released this year. 120 tracks for about a tenner all in, so something for everyone. http://www.bosstuneage.bigcartel.com/pr ... e-4xcd-set in case anyone's interested.
I can't help getting old. I just refuse to grow up.
gjinblack
Ugly
Ugly

Post by gjinblack »

Boody wrote:There's a Boss Tuneage 4 CD compilation - Too Much Music, Too Many Bands - that I think was released this year. 120 tracks for about a tenner all in, so something for everyone. http://www.bosstuneage.bigcartel.com/pr ... e-4xcd-set in case anyone's interested.
Nice one. I've ordered it. £7 now on sale and £2.50 postage. Cheers.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
euromanc-ometh
kincajou
Rats Rally

Post by kincajou »

Best album of the year for me is New Order's 'Music Complete' - great return to form after a few patchy albums.

Also, 'Modern Blues' by The Waterboys easily stands up to their back catalogue. Saw them live for the first time as well - great gig! Zero' by The Rezillos also impressed, as did 'The Light In You' by Mercury Rev.

Best new band of the year is Slaves. 'Are You Satisfied' is a stonker of an album!
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Wire - Wire is my fave of the year. Honourable mentions to:-

Sauna Youth - Distractions (every track a humdinger!)
Stealing Sheep - Not Real (delightful)
Pins - Wild Nights (sweet)
Grimes - Art Angels (mental)
New Order - Music Complete (return to form)
Yppah - Tiny Pause (loose)
Walls - Urals (kinda funky!)
Wand - Golem (relentless)
Joanna Gruesome - Peanut Butter (powerful)

And of course the wonderful vinyl slab of classics from Mr Cornwell

Was expecting more from Chvrches and the new Girls Names album but I'm left disappointed.

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Burn e 77
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Burn e 77 »

PRODIGY - The Day Is My Enemy
Bernie
Something better change!
marky
Ugly
Ugly

Post by marky »

has to be wire for me
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

Pylon by Killing Joke for me.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
MiB81
The Raven
The Raven

Post by MiB81 »

Flicking through the music files on the PC I've found:

Bonobo- Black Sands

Boredoms- Super Are

Julian Cope- Trip Advizer

Chemical Bros- Born In The Echoes

Culture- Rare and Unreleased Dub

Bob Dylan- Shadows In The Night

Evil Blizzard- Everybody Come To Church

Lee Perry- ORBserver 1 + 2

Luke Haines- British Nuclear Bunkers

Luke Haines- NY in the '70's

Mission of Burma- Learn How

Marianne Faithfull- Give My Love To London

Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds- KCRW Live

Portishead- 3

Sleaford Mods- Divide And Exit

Snoop Lion- Reincarnated

Talking Heads- Berklee Performance Centre Boston

The Julie Ruin- Run Fast

Tom Lehrer- Complete Recordings

Some of the above might not have actually been released last year, but
that's when I heard/bought/downloaded/stole them.
...I'm making lists of all the people I love,
and all the cunts that should fuck off...
Dorty
Down In The Sewer

Post by Dorty »

I'm currently listening to Are You Satisfied? by Slaves, released earlier this year.
pigeon
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by pigeon »

1.Slayer Repentless
2 Faith No More Sol -Invictus
3.Iron Maiden The Book Of Souls
4. Ghost Melioria
5.Public Image Limited What The World Needs now?