Post by theraven1979 »

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
The Strangler
Ugly
Ugly

Re: lemmy RIP

Post by The Strangler »

I didn't really get the impression from JJ's piece on the official site that they were 'close pals' - more like a couple of people who bump into eachother every few years because their paths cross as they are musicians.
Rugby Union is not only the greatest team sport in the world on the field, but without a shadow of a doubt, is the greatest team sport in the world off the field. Nigel Owens.
MiB81
The Raven
The Raven

Post by MiB81 »

A great Rock N Roll Legend (Hawkwind AND Motorhead!) and always
a funny talking head in any interview I've seen him in.
A sad loss.
...I'm making lists of all the people I love,
and all the cunts that should fuck off...
Dorty
Down In The Sewer

Post by Dorty »

I remember reading years ago that he got his nickname due to him always being skint....."Can you lemme a fiver?"

Not sure if that's correct <shrugs shoulders>
MiB81
The Raven
The Raven

Post by MiB81 »

"The French newspaper Libération announced the news that Lemmy from Motörhead had died by putting it on the front page, with the headline: “Fuck!” You can’t help feeling that Ian from Stoke-on-Trent would have found that quite funny. The solemnly repeated news on Radio 4’s Today programme, part of a 24-hour frenzy of broadcasters doing their best to explain Lemmy’s significance as a musician and cultural figure? You can’t help feeling that Ian from Stoke-on-Trent would have found that hilarious.

Because it is quite funny how the mainstream has become accustomed to acknowledging the importance of countercultural figures, expressing affection and admiration, while simultaneously maintaining its own position as a bulwark against everything they stand for.

Phrases such as “life of excess” have become fond, indulgently amused code for stuff like “massive drug use”, as the actual music press made clear. Significance of iconic life marked, then it’s straight back to reporting the “war on drugs”, as if it’s perfectly sane and sensible to use every means possible to stamp out the evil of people a teeny, tiny bit like Lemmy, who aren’t Lemmy.

The liberal establishment set out its exceptionalist stall some while before Motörhead existed, with William Rees-Mogg’s famous 1967 Times leader arguing that imprisoning Mick Jagger for possession of drugs would be wrong, for “who breaks a butterfly upon a wheel?” Breaking on wheels is for little people.

Jagger, of course, has since then moved as sinuously as he always moves from counterculture to establishment, accepting a knighthood for services to popular music in 2003. Which could lead one to believe that Britain and its values have changed in the last half-century. Not so, says the Times. Research carried out by the newspaper on the eve of the publication of the New Year honours list “shows that nearly half the recipients of honours ranked at knighthood or above had been privately educated, the same proportion as it was 60 years ago.”

Looking on the bright side, this doesn’t mean that things haven’t changed at all. Women now get half of these gongs. Ethnic minorities get 7%. Some members of those cohorts no doubt went to private schools. And, of course, there’s preferential bias to consider as well. The sort of people who don’t want honours are the sort of people who don’t want to be seen as part of the establishment. I don’t suppose Lemmy died weeping because he’d never been given a knighthood for services to Motörhead music...

Transgression can be tolerated, even celebrated, in the gifted and the exceptional. Lemmy’s life of drug-taking can be saluted with a wry smile, even if it can’t be made explicit that without the workings of his chemically altered mind, his music wouldn’t have been so distinctive and influential. He gambled, and he won. While he’s admired for doing so, the underlying message is very much against gambling: “Don’t do this at home, kids. We’ll put you in jail and wreck your lives forever. You’re not butterflies. You’re not even bats, like Lemmy.”

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... han-excess
...I'm making lists of all the people I love,
and all the cunts that should fuck off...