Trojan & Horse records 1969 & beyond...

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Burn e 77
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Trojan & Horse records 1969 & beyond...

Post by Burn e 77 »

Trojan & Horse records 1969 & beyond... Top tunes if you like me, were a young Suedehead at school... Which meant: Two Tone Tonic strides, Levi Sta Press, Levi Original 501 with quarter inch turn up, Ben Sherman's, Loafers, Ox Blood Doc Martens, Squires' Brogues, Royals, Solatio Plats, Crombie's, Harrington's and the great 'Tighten Up' albums.... Discuss.
Bernie
Last edited by Burn e 77 on 23 Dec 2015, 12:21, edited 13 times in total.
Something better change!
elvisintheclouds
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Re: Trojan Records 1969 & beyond...

Post by elvisintheclouds »

Love Reggae/Dub!!! Thanks in no small part however indirectly to Don Letts. 8)
Thank you very much
EiTC
Rockula
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Rockula »

Never was a Suedehead. But I had some Ox Blood Doc Martens (now I have Ox Blood New Rocks... :).

And I love Trojan reggae. Started collecting 2nd hand copies from Small Wonder records around 1978.
ManInBrown
PaulinLondon
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by PaulinLondon »

"Madame, Be in no doubt as to the seriousness of your position". The Day of the Jackal, 1973.
evonx
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by evonx »

I was way too young for the Trojan reggae era. However, I was old enough for the two tone revolution and Bob Marley hitting the big time. And so a lifelong passion for Jamaican music was born. I really enjoy the ska and rocksteady period from the 60s til mid seventies most. Prince Buster, Ken Boothe, Bob and Marcia, early John Holt, early Lee Perry, Coxsone productions, Augustus Pablo..... so many greats. Great vocals, sweet bass, spacey dub versions. Great stuff, especially on vinyl.
--eric--
i was attracted by a night torchlight parade
and there i came
Burn e 77
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Burn e 77 »

elvisintheclouds wrote:Love Reggae/Dub!!! Thanks in no small part however indirectly to Don Letts. 8)
Don Letts, top bloke who was in the right place (Roxy) at the right time with his dub vinyl and camera. He had a great clothes shop too back in the day!
Bernie
Last edited by Burn e 77 on 21 Dec 2015, 13:59, edited 1 time in total.
Something better change!
Burn e 77
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Burn e 77 »

Rockula wrote:Never was a Suedehead. But I had some Ox Blood Doc Martens (now I have Ox Blood New Rocks... :).

And I love Trojan reggae. Started collecting 2nd hand copies from Small Wonder records around 1978.
Excellent, do you still have your collection Rockula?
Bernie
Last edited by Burn e 77 on 21 Dec 2015, 13:58, edited 1 time in total.
Something better change!
Burn e 77
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Burn e 77 »

PaulinLondon wrote:https://youtu.be/mxtfdH3-TQ4 :smile:
Thanks for link Paul!
Bernie
Something better change!
Burn e 77
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Burn e 77 »

evonx wrote:I was way too young for the Trojan reggae era. However, I was old enough for the two tone revolution and Bob Marley hitting the big time. And so a lifelong passion for Jamaican music was born. I really enjoy the ska and rocksteady period from the 60s til mid seventies most. Prince Buster, Ken Boothe, Bob and Marcia, early John Holt, early Lee Perry, Coxsone productions, Augustus Pablo..... so many greats. Great vocals, sweet bass, spacey dub versions. Great stuff, especially on vinyl.
That was a great period for Jamaican music Eric. Boothe had a silken voice, Perry had a very creative and totally unique studio style (which many of the earliest US Hip Hop producers emulated in their sound production techniques) and Coxsone Dodd's productions were always melodic and B A S S heavy too. I guess if it wasn't for Prince Buster and the rhythms he was laying down, Two Tone couldn't have really existed. One of the greatest things for me personally was how all of the above including the emergence of Punk, amalgamated and helped to influence a TOP band... THE RUTS aka Ruts DC 8)
Bernie
Something better change!
Rockula
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Rockula »

Burn e 77 wrote:
Rockula wrote:Never was a Suedehead. But I had some Ox Blood Doc Martens (now I have Ox Blood New Rocks... :).

Bernie
Not the vinyl no. Sold most of my collection in the 80's. Had to pay for the divorce somehow. :wink:
ManInBrown
Burn e 77
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Burn e 77 »

Rockula wrote:
Burn e 77 wrote:

Bernie
Not the vinyl no. Sold most of my collection in the 80's. Had to pay for the divorce somehow. :wink:
That's a shame fella (about the vinyl!) :wink:
Bernie
Something better change!
Burn e 77
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Burn e 77 »

Burn e 77 wrote:
evonx wrote:I was way too young for the Trojan reggae era. However, I was old enough for the two tone revolution and Bob Marley hitting the big time. And so a lifelong passion for Jamaican music was born. I really enjoy the ska and rocksteady period from the 60s til mid seventies most. Prince Buster, Ken Boothe, Bob and Marcia, early John Holt, early Lee Perry, Coxsone productions, Augustus Pablo..... so many greats. Great vocals, sweet bass, spacey dub versions. Great stuff, especially on vinyl.
That was a great period for Jamaican music Eric. Boothe had a silken voice, Perry had a very creative and totally unique studio style (which many of the earliest US Hip Hop producers emulated in their sound production techniques) and Coxsone Dodd's productions were always melodic and B A S S heavy too. I guess if it wasn't for Prince Buster and the rhythms he was laying down, Two Tone couldn't have really existed. One of the greatest things for me personally was how all of the above including the emergence of Punk, amalgamated and helped to influence a TOP band... THE RUTS aka Ruts DC 8)
Bernie
P.S. Eric have you listened to Funky Kingston - Toots & the Maytals?
Something better change!