Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Burn e 77
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Re: Trojan Records 1969 & beyond...

Post by Burn e 77 »

Burn e 77 wrote:
evonx wrote:I was way too young for the Trojan reggae era. However, I was old enough for the two tone revolution and Bob Marley hitting the big time. And so a lifelong passion for Jamaican music was born. I really enjoy the ska and rocksteady period from the 60s til mid seventies most. Prince Buster, Ken Boothe, Bob and Marcia, early John Holt, early Lee Perry, Coxsone productions, Augustus Pablo..... so many greats. Great vocals, sweet bass, spacey dub versions. Great stuff, especially on vinyl.
That was a great period for Jamaican music Eric. Boothe had a silken voice, Perry had a very creative and totally unique studio style (which many of the earliest US Hip Hop producers emulated in their sound production techniques) and Coxsone Dodd's productions were always melodic and B A S S heavy too. I guess if it wasn't for Prince Buster and the rhythms he was laying down, Two Tone couldn't have really existed. One of the greatest things for me personally was how all of the above including the emergence of Punk, amalgamated and helped to influence a TOP band... THE RUTS aka Ruts DC 8)
Bernie
P.S. Eric have you listened to Funky Kingston - Toots & the Maytals?
Something better change!