The Rezillos @ Brudenell Social Club, Leeds 5/12/15

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

ThruBeingCool
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

The Rezillos @ Brudenell Social Club, Leeds 5/12/15

Post by ThruBeingCool »

Destination Leeds! First date of my Rezillos weekender......

I'd heard good reports about The Brudenell Social Club and I must say I wasn't disappointed. Situated amongst an estate of terraced houses, it seemed an odd location to see a band but what a gem of a venue. Pool tables, bingo and music! What more do you want on a night out?

Anyway, first port of call was the pub almost next door to the venue, the name of which escapes me. A great place to kick off the evening, reminded me of some of the large local boozers from the 70's. In fact the combination of pub, venue and location gave me a feeling that I'd stepped back in time a few decades. I loved it and highly recommend a visit here.

Whilst at the bar I noticed one of my mates looking over my shoulder at someone descending some stairs.

"That's Dave Greenfield" He said.

"Bollocks!" said I without looking.

I turned around to see a couple walking out of the pub but they had their backs to me. The bloke had a beanie hat on and the woman had long blonde hair. Could that be Pam? Was my mate right? I followed them outside and shouted.

"Dave! Dave!"

They turned around and fuck me if it wasn't Dave and Pam Greenfield after all ! But my god he looked totally fucked. Hard to tell if he was ill, pissed or both. He wasn't in a good condition. I was quite taken aback but managed to blurt out a few words.

"I take it you're going to the gig then?"

"I'm not but Pam is....." He started to say more but didn't really finish.

"Nice t shirt" he said, looking at my Rezillos tee.

"Yeah but I'm a Stranglers fan, seen ya loads of times, was in Holland etc etc blah blah fucking blah!"

It was a difficult conversation to say the least, Dave was polite but obviously wanted to get on his way so I decided to fuck off. I went back in the pub to see my two mates who both had that "told you fucking so!" look on their faces.

A short time later we were inside the venue. Loved the stage area, basically a small, raised platform with NO bouncers/security in sight. This should be fun I thought as I headed straight to the front. The Rezillos had attracted a healthy turn out if not sold out the place. Just right really to create a nice atmosphere and eventually the band took to the stage as their familiar intro music played.

As always The Rezillos were hugely entertaining and the set was pretty much the same as they played on The Stranglers recent tour. This being my only gripe. Although we got a few tracks from the 'Zero' album they didn't touch 'Out Of This World', 'Number 1 Boy' or the absolutely stunning 'She's The Bad One'. Rather strange I thought, especially as the first 2 were released as singles. Maybe the ghost of Jo Callis is haunting them? An issue of royalties? I don't know but I think that the 3 songs I've mentioned are as strong as any they ever recorded back in the day and was disappointed not to hear them.

Anyway, although I had hoped for a little more this shouldn't detract from the fact that the band played an absolute blinder. As we headed back down the M1 in the van we were all discussing how good the gig had been but in particular what a great venue we had been to. The atmosphere had been fantastic and the locals very friendly. Well done Leeds!

Yes, I know the last bit of this reviews sounds a little rushed but I gotta get ready for round 2. Off to The Doghouse in Nottingham which if it's anywhere near as good as last years gig another treat awaits.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Re: The Rezillos @ Brudenell Social Club, Leeds 5/12/15

Post by theraven1979 »

Nice one Beryl - Seen many a gig in Brudenell - cracking venue

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
PaulinLondon
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by PaulinLondon »

Nice one Baz. Great pic of you and Dale as well.
"Madame, Be in no doubt as to the seriousness of your position". The Day of the Jackal, 1973.
Bag Lady
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by Bag Lady »

Thanks for the review. Hope Dave's feeling better today. He might have been faking to get away from you though.
No one can win against kipple.
PaulinLondon
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by PaulinLondon »

:roll:
"Madame, Be in no doubt as to the seriousness of your position". The Day of the Jackal, 1973.
Bag Lady
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by Bag Lady »

There's a thread for that :roll:
No one can win against kipple.
pigeon
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by pigeon »

Thanks for the review Barry.
elvisintheclouds
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by elvisintheclouds »

Cheers for the review Sir 8)
Dave's probably creamed after back to back tours!
Thank you very much
EiTC
MULLY
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by MULLY »

Diggin' the refreshed, renewed and revitalised Spooner-isms. 8)

Keep 'em comin'.
Allow me to re-arrange your face, sometimes I'd really like to get to know you better
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Poor Dave,He was being stalked.
ThruBeingCool
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by ThruBeingCool »

Greatkudu wrote:Poor Dave,He was being stalked.
:roll:
Mart
Rats Rally

Post by Mart »

ThruBeingCool wrote:Destination Leeds! First date of my Rezillos weekender......

I'd heard good reports about The Brudenell Social Club and I must say I wasn't disappointed. Situated amongst an estate of terraced houses, it seemed an odd location to see a band but what a gem of a venue. Pool tables, bingo and music! What more do you want on a night out?

Anyway, first port of call was the pub almost next door to the venue, the name of which escapes me. A great place to kick off the evening, reminded me of some of the large local boozers from the 70's. In fact the combination of pub, venue and location gave me a feeling that I'd stepped back in time a few decades. I loved it and highly recommend a visit here.

Whilst at the bar I noticed one of my mates looking over my shoulder at someone descending some stairs.

"That's Dave Greenfield" He said.

"Bollocks!" said I without looking.

I turned around to see a couple walking out of the pub but they had their backs to me. The bloke had a beanie hat on and the woman had long blonde hair. Could that be Pam? Was my mate right? I followed them outside and shouted.

"Dave! Dave!"

They turned around and fuck me if it wasn't Dave and Pam Greenfield after all ! But my god he looked totally fucked. Hard to tell if he was ill, pissed or both. He wasn't in a good condition. I was quite taken aback but managed to blurt out a few words.

"I take it you're going to the gig then?"

"I'm not but Pam is....." He started to say more but didn't really finish.

"Nice t shirt" he said, looking at my Rezillos tee.

"Yeah but I'm a Stranglers fan, seen ya loads of times, was in Holland etc etc blah blah fucking blah!"

It was a difficult conversation to say the least, Dave was polite but obviously wanted to get on his way so I decided to fuck off. I went back in the pub to see my two mates who both had that "told you fucking so!" look on their faces.

A short time later we were inside the venue. Loved the stage area, basically a small, raised platform with NO bouncers/security in sight. This should be fun I thought as I headed straight to the front. The Rezillos had attracted a healthy turn out if not sold out the place. Just right really to create a nice atmosphere and eventually the band took to the stage as their familiar intro music played.

As always The Rezillos were hugely entertaining and the set was pretty much the same as they played on The Stranglers recent tour. This being my only gripe. Although we got a few tracks from the 'Zero' album they didn't touch 'Out Of This World', 'Number 1 Boy' or the absolutely stunning 'She's The Bad One'. Rather strange I thought, especially as the first 2 were released as singles. Maybe the ghost of Jo Callis is haunting them? An issue of royalties? I don't know but I think that the 3 songs I've mentioned are as strong as any they ever recorded back in the day and was disappointed not to hear them.

Anyway, although I had hoped for a little more this shouldn't detract from the fact that the band played an absolute blinder. As we headed back down the M1 in the van we were all discussing how good the gig had been but in particular what a great venue we had been to. The atmosphere had been fantastic and the locals very friendly. Well done Leeds!

Yes, I know the last bit of this reviews sounds a little rushed but I gotta get ready for round 2. Off to The Doghouse in Nottingham which if it's anywhere near as good as last years gig another treat awaits.
Were you at the doghouse I thought I spotted you in the wonky bus t shirt
When i rest my weary head after all my words are said