Rockumentaries!

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

droopsnoot
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Re: Rockumentaries!

Post by droopsnoot »

A lot of the BBC4 ones are very good, and I find that I'm not entirely bothered whether it's an artist I particularly like or not as long as it's done well. The recent Carole King on was good (I saw it last time it was on), as was one about James Taylor, neither of which are my type of music. ITV4 sometimes show "Some kind of monster" (the Metallica one) which is quite watchable but goes on a bit too long. I did see the Ginger Baker one, hard to know if he's acting up for the camera as he didn't seem so annoying in earlier clips that were shown in the show. Both the Iron Maiden ones have been good, and I'm not ashamed to say that even the Kylie Minogue "White Diamond" tour documentary was watchable, as was the recent Genesis one when they got back together for some gigs. Both of those were shown as documentary followed by gig, but while I recorded both programmes on both occasions, I've only watched the docus.
http://www.firenza.net - my homage to a seventies Vauxhall
MiB81
The Raven
The Raven

Post by MiB81 »

Having read and enjoyed the Beastie Boys Book, I've got the Beastie Boys Story
sitting on the laptop ready to watch soon.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCyqR2RXoQU
...I'm making lists of all the people I love,
and all the cunts that should fuck off...
MiB81
The Raven
The Raven

Post by MiB81 »

Just got sent an email on this, so will be watching soon -

A film about Robert Lloyd and The Nightingales

Comedian Stewart Lee, and director Michael Cumming (Brass Eye, Toast of London), investigate a missing piece of punk history: Robert Lloyd, best known for fronting cult Birmingham bands The Prefects and The Nightingales, has survived under the radar for over four decades.
But how, if at all, does Robert want to be remembered?
The anti-rockumentary King Rocker weaves the story of Birmingham’s undervalued underdog autodidact into that of the city’s forgotten public sculpture of King Kong, eschewing the celebrity interview and archive-raid approach for a free-associating bricolage of Indian food, bewildered chefs, vegetable gardening, prescription medicines, pop stardom and pop art.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzEfWzSKoOg
Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Arthur Streeb-Greebling »

I love the BBC4 Music Documentaries and must have about nearly 200 of em recorded on me TV box thingy and many still to watch, seems to be a lot of Bowie on BBC2 tonight who I do love but shame there’s nowt been on about our Dave. :(

The last music doc I watched was the Ginger Baker one for a second time, I’m a huge Cream fan, always been one of my fave bands since Hugh introduced them to me on Nosferatu, but Ginger eh? Kin hell he was a fucking nightmare but still was one of the best drummers from that era IMHO. Phenomenal.
8)
Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Arthur Streeb-Greebling »

MiB81 wrote: 20 Jul 2015, 21:19 Watched The Wrecking Crew the other night, worth a watch, about the "band" of session guys
that worked on most of the major hit songs in 50's, 60's and 70's US pop.
Yep great doc. Been a bit of a fan the last few years especially of Carol Kaye, you can deffo hear a bit of her playing in JJ’s probably via the Beach Boys songs she’s played on and he listened too. Seen her doing a riff which JJ does all the time, it’s one of his main signature riffs. Been some amazing guitar players in the Wrecking Crew too - James Burton, Glen Campbell, Barney Kessel, Tommy Tedesco, Howard Roberts etc, a fan of all of em.
8)
MiB81
The Raven
The Raven

Post by MiB81 »

MiB81 wrote: 08 Jun 2020, 17:13 Just got sent an email on this, so will be watching soon -

Comedian Stewart Lee, and director Michael Cumming (Brass Eye, Toast of London), investigate a missing piece of punk history: Robert Lloyd, best known for fronting cult Birmingham bands The Prefects and The Nightingales, has survived under the radar for over four decades.
But how, if at all, does Robert want to be remembered?
The anti-rockumentary King Rocker weaves the story of Birmingham’s undervalued underdog autodidact into that of the city’s forgotten public sculpture of King Kong, eschewing the celebrity interview and archive-raid approach for a free-associating bricolage of Indian food, bewildered chefs, vegetable gardening, prescription medicines, pop stardom and pop art.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzEfWzSKoOg
KING ROCKER

PREMIERES FEBRUARY 6TH ON SKY ARTS (9PM)
Boody
Ugly
Ugly
Location: Arse end of commuter land, always looking for an escape

Post by Boody »

I turned on the telly half way through the John Otway film last week. One thing you can’t say is that he doesn’t persevere.
I can't help getting old. I just refuse to grow up.
Palais81
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by Palais81 »

Strongly recommend the Anti Nowhere League documentary on Prime. Lots of growing up in the 70s memories. Very funny and the bonus of Scabies as well. So What so what you boring little...
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

There's a decent one on right now on Sky Arts on Jethro Tull... I only like about two albums of theirs and a handful of their singles, but still it's been a fascinating watch.
MiB81
The Raven
The Raven

Post by MiB81 »

Looks like a bit of a Punk night on Sky Arts tonight, with docs and shows from
The Damned, Pistols, Poly Styrene, Clash, Rock Against Racism etc.
Nothing on the 'Glers, obviously.

https://www.tvguide.co.uk/mobile/channe ... #476915488
droopsnoot
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by droopsnoot »

I didn't think much of the Poly Styrene film, mainly because the voiceover from her daughter was just too slow to be engaging. And with the very frequent ad breaks (maybe they're normal at that rate on Sky Arts, I hardly ever watch it live) it just seemed like it was an hour-long programme that had been stretched out to two hours.

The next one about Rock against Racism was more interesting. Haven't watched the Damned one yet, that was recorded so if the ad breaks are as frequent I can just pass them by.
http://www.firenza.net - my homage to a seventies Vauxhall
jetblacksdad
Ugly
Ugly

Post by jetblacksdad »

Death and Resurrection show - Killing Joke is intense! I found it a bit of a let down really as it was a bit too much of the esoteric stuff

Soul of America- Charles Bradley. Kind of sad. Great singer but seems like a lost child. Not the full ticket.

New Model Army one was interesting . Rather bleak in places

I'll watch pretty much any rockumentary. I get excited about how they achived a certain drum sound on a track. Dull aren't I?
+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+