The Damned

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

pigeon
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: The Damned

Post by pigeon »

Have a good time, they are really good live. I am going to see them at the Roundhouse, on June 6th. Ive only seen them 5 times myself. The Best damned album for me is 1980s "The black album", they just pushed themselves the furthest on that album and theres great songs all through it. "wait for the blackout", "Lively arts" "Silly kids games", "Dr jekyl and mr hyde", "13th floor vendeta", "thearpy" and the brilliant "Curtain call".

Can't stand "music for pleasure" myself, the addition of Lu Edmonds was completley pointless i think apart from "Dont cry Wolf",its terrible album. Even the band disown it. Captain "Sensible" had left for "im alright jack and the beanstalk" but its got some good songs on it.

2008s "So whos paranoid ?" is a brilliant album and i strongly recomend it if you havent got it. "A nation for heroes", "Underthe wheels again", "Maid for pleasure" which is my favourite song on the album, "Perfect Sunday", "White rabbit" and the pink floyed inspired 14 minute instrumental "Dark asteroid",the Damned are sounding more like the Damned than they ever have before.
ThruBeingCool
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by ThruBeingCool »

pigeon wrote:Have a good time, they are really good live. I am going to see them at the Roundhouse, on June 6th. Ive only seen them 5 times myself. The Best damned album for me is 1980s "The black album", they just pushed themselves the furthest on that album and theres great songs all through it. "wait for the blackout", "Lively arts" "Silly kids games", "Dr jekyl and mr hyde", "13th floor vendeta", "thearpy" and the brilliant "Curtain call".

Can't stand "music for pleasure" myself, the addition of Lu Edmonds was completley pointless i think apart from "Dont cry Wolf",its terrible album. Even the band disown it. Captain "Sensible" had left for "im alright jack and the beanstalk" but its got some good songs on it.

2008s "So whos paranoid ?" is a brilliant album and i strongly recomend it if you havent got it. "A nation for heroes", "Underthe wheels again", "Maid for pleasure" which is my favourite song on the album, "Perfect Sunday", "White rabbit" and the pink floyed inspired 14 minute instrumental "Dark asteroid",the Damned are sounding more like the Damned than they ever have before.
"White Rabbit" isn't on "So Who's Paranoid?" In fact it never was an album track, only appears on compilations and the re-release 2Cd 'Black Album'. If my memory serves me well it was originally an import single from 1980.

Captain Sensible wasn't part of the "Phantasmagoria" or "Anything" era either, which was arguably their most commercially successful period. Well, the former album at least.
jetblacksdad
Ugly
Ugly

Post by jetblacksdad »

ThruBeingCool wrote:
pigeon wrote:Have a good time, they are really good live. I am going to see them at the Roundhouse, on June 6th. Ive only seen them 5 times myself. The Best damned album for me is 1980s "The black album", they just pushed themselves the furthest on that album and theres great songs all through it. "wait for the blackout", "Lively arts" "Silly kids games", "Dr jekyl and mr hyde", "13th floor vendeta", "thearpy" and the brilliant "Curtain call".

"White Rabbit" isn't on "So Who's Paranoid?" In fact it never was an album track, only appears on compilations and the re-release 2Cd 'Black Album'. If my memory serves me well it was originally an import single from 1980.

Captain Sensible wasn't part of the "Phantasmagoria" or "Anything" era either, which was arguably their most commercially successful period. Well, the former album at least.

Though sensible did work on a few songs that ended up on Phantasmagoria but he didn't get credits. Street of Dreams for one - perhaps why they play it often.
+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+
Dorty
Down In The Sewer

Post by Dorty »

Cheers everyone, its a half five start tonight for me and my mate, a few pints and then onto the show. Can't wait.
Rockula
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Rockula »

jetblacksdad wrote:
Though sensible did work on a few songs that ended up on Phantasmagoria but he didn't get credits. 'Street of Dreams' for one - perhaps why they play it often.
From an interview with Roman Jugg...
Which songs on Phantasmagoria did you write ? Who wrote all the lyrics on that album ?

Roman: 'Is It A Dream' was all mine. 'Grimly Fiendish' was mostly mine, Clive Jackson (Dr and the Medics) only helped with the lyrics. The rest was mostly collaboration but the majority of that was Dave Vanian and myself. But I think the most interesting fact was how 'Shadow Of Love' came about. The song was originally demoed when Captain was still “in”, he had the structure, the middle 8 guitar riff was written by Rat, I just shortened it for the intro to the song. I came up with the chorus and perhaps the important first line. D.V. filled in the blanks lyrically. So without really knowing that was a true Damned effort without them realising !…bloody wankers. That is why Captain gets a credit for 'Is it a Dream' I just felt we needed to even things up."
ManInBrown
Dorty
Down In The Sewer

Post by Dorty »

Amazing show tonight, absolutely blown away by the Damned. Sensible and Vanian are legends.
Dorty
Down In The Sewer

Post by Dorty »

Toiler mate, you are in for one hell of a treat tonight <massive thumbs up>
Dorty
Down In The Sewer

Post by Dorty »

flintackles
SHAKESPEARO

Post by flintackles »

Just bought my ticket for Southampton in June.
nickinblack
Ugly
Ugly

Post by nickinblack »

Dorty wrote:Setlist from the Sunderland gig.

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-damne ... 8df20.html
Brilliant set list!
behold the stranglers bring you aural sculpture
parasiteinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by parasiteinblack »

nickinblack wrote:

Brilliant set list!
All good stuff but they've doing that set for a few years now and the newest original song there is from 1982!
"I woke up on a good day, and the world was wonderful"
nickinblack
Ugly
Ugly

Post by nickinblack »

parasiteinblack wrote:
nickinblack wrote:

Brilliant set list!
All good stuff but they've doing that set for a few years now and the newest original song there is from 1982!
Haven't seen them since 2004,must see them again soon.Get your point mate,but it's my era.Eloise was 1985 wasn't it? :wink: :smile:
behold the stranglers bring you aural sculpture