Blondie and ELO at Hyde Park

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

droopsnoot
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Blondie and ELO at Hyde Park

Post by droopsnoot »

Anyone else watch this last night on the red button? There were some other acts on earlier in the day, including potential Stranglers lead singer Chrissie Hynde (I wonder if anyone has ever asked her for her side of that story?) and some others I forget now. Blondie weren't bad, though I dislike the way they do a lot of 'rock star' long endings to songs, and they committed the cardinal sin of playing two new songs at what was basically a festival audience, and I couldn't help thinking it would have been nicer to have a 'second from top of the bill' band that were more local, perhaps one that is a British institution, maybe one that's perhaps celebrating a special anniversary this year.

ELO were great, I thought, except I did wonder when the job title of "backing singer" was expanded to include not only singing backing vocals, but also the requirement to "dance around like a prat, sometimes in an embarassing dad- or mum-style". Surprised it was all over just after nine PM though. I was thinking that's probably the one time that living in that tower block on the left of the screen is a good thing, though a flat there (sorry, penthouse apartment) is probably seven figures now.
http://www.firenza.net - my homage to a seventies Vauxhall
Bobinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Re: Blondie and ELO at Hyde Park

Post by Bobinblack »

My only disappointment with Jeff Lynne's ELO was the lack of other original members of the band. Have they had a proper fall-out ever or was it just Jeff's decision to emigrate? Thought it was excellent, the sound was superb and JL's voice is still in great condition, as is his guitar work :grin: 8)

With any gig on telly, and I think I mean EVERY rather than any actually, I wish the producers/directors & camera-folk would just film the acts and not the fucking audience, I couldn't give a feckin toss whether lucky to already be there folk are fecking loving the gig or having a day of personal hell, show us the ACTS :mrgreen:
Think I'll go for a stroll in the trees.
marky
Ugly
Ugly

Post by marky »

E L O a truly shit band i would rather watch paint dry or listen to all of written in red then watch that concert
Bobinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Bobinblack »

Thanks for your input :lol:
droopsnoot
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by droopsnoot »

marky wrote:E L O a truly shit band i would rather watch paint dry or listen to all of written in red then watch that concert
On this occasion, I give you my full permission to not watch it then.

The only previous member of ELO that I know anything of is the one who was killed several years ago when a hay bale went through the windscreen of his van. Roy Wood was only in there for the first album before leaving to form Wizzard, not sure what happened with Bev Bevan (other than he was touring with ELO II, which might be why last nights thing was billed as "Jeff Lynne's ELO"), but the guy on the grand piano front of stage was RIchard Tandy, who was in ELO pretty much from the start. So two original members on stage for the whole gig. I admit I had heard of Richard Tandy from the recent TV programme about Jeff Lynne, but hadn't realised he was a long standing ELO bloke.
flintackles
SHAKESPEARO

Post by flintackles »

Went last night and ELO were superb.
Bobinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Bobinblack »

No neither did I Droops. I remember Bev Bevan well, saw him earlier this year 'supporting' Jasper Carrott!

Mick Kaminsky was Violinski wasn't he? Then there was Kelly Groucutt, I remember him too. I never really considered Roy Wood as part of ELO.

Saw ELO II at Leeds Grand Theatre... very very good gig but of course it was never going to be pukka without Jeff at the front.

Quiz question for myself as much as anyone... Last night, trying to recall ELO names, I remember one bizarre name to crop up, connected to ELO II - or have I bloomin' dreamt it?? Parthenon Huxley :shock: , related to the famous writer Aldous Huxley???
kincajou
Rats Rally

Post by kincajou »

Bev Bevan currently reaching the giddy heights of... supporting Jasper Carrot on a theatre tour!

http://www.atgtickets.com/shows/jasper- ... e-theatre/

PS. Loved seeing ELO on the telly last night - who'd have thought so many Stranglers fans were ELO fans as well, if this board is anything to go by! I remember not telling my friends at the time that I liked ELO, but secretly loved 'Out Of The Blue'. If he/they tour, I'll be up for a ticket!
droopsnoot wrote:
marky wrote:E L O a truly shit band i would rather watch paint dry or listen to all of written in red then watch that concert
On this occasion, I give you my full permission to not watch it then.

The only previous member of ELO that I know anything of is the one who was killed several years ago when a hay bale went through the windscreen of his van. Roy Wood was only in there for the first album before leaving to form Wizzard, not sure what happened with Bev Bevan (other than he was touring with ELO II, which might be why last nights thing was billed as "Jeff Lynne's ELO"), but the guy on the grand piano front of stage was RIchard Tandy, who was in ELO pretty much from the start. So two original members on stage for the whole gig. I admit I had heard of Richard Tandy from the recent TV programme about Jeff Lynne, but hadn't realised he was a long standing ELO bloke.
droopsnoot
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by droopsnoot »

I don't really know much more Bob, other than what I've read on Wikipedia just now. Mik Kaminski does seem to have been in ELO from 73-86, and now you've mentioned his name of course I recognise it. Bev Bevan apparently went to play drums for Black Sabbath for a while.

I'm not that surprised to see people on here that also like stuff like this - I think the only difference is that people aren't so bothered by peer pressure that might have stopped them admitting it back in the day. Like marky above, I don't care that he doesn't like ELO, I've never met him and never will, so it doesn't matter. And I'm sure he's not bothered that I do like them. And if he is, tough.
Bobinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Bobinblack »

Exactly, as a kid I wasn't exactly one of those people who 'hated' someone else because we were meant to, for their likes in music :P so I'm not likely to start now. And if anyone DOES think they're better than anyone else based on tastes in music then they're obviously in need of counselling :lol:

I genuinely was sick of chart music and TOTP when 'punk' arrived, but there were bands I was quite fond of before The Stranglers hit me, and ELO were on of those, as were Queen and of course the Beatles and then Wings. My first 'love' of a group as a bairn was Sweet but Slade scared the shit out of me because of Noddy's voice, and Bowie scared the shit out of me because he looked androgenous :lol:
T.F.P.R.H.G
Rats Rally

Post by T.F.P.R.H.G »

:smt023
Saidagibb !
dead ringer
Ugly
Ugly

Post by dead ringer »

It seems a rather ignorant remark as they are an incredibly talented bunch of musicians with good tunes however I can understand if it's not your cup of tea although saying they're shit seems unfounded! Perhaps you would like to elaborate?