Discharge?

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Discharge?

Post by theraven1979 »

Discharge were playing in my local tonight - didn't bother - have I missed out on the gig of the century?

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
wegga66
Rats Rally

Re: Discharge?

Post by wegga66 »

our once local band from stoke jim ,saw them at there debut gig in december 1977,don't know much about them these days definitely worth a viewing.
If it's not recorded ,then it's just a memory

http://thestranglerslive.webs.com/
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Don't think it was a good turn out but lots of mohican "punk" shit going on in the bar earlier.

Jim
Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Jon the Impaler »

I think nowadays the old singer Cal has gone and they've got Rat from Varukers doing the singing . I saw Discharge back in 1980 with GBH as support and they were pretty loud and fast - as you'd expect . As for tunes - you could pretty much forget any of that , but back then I was really into the hard core punk scene ( I still listen to a lot but some you just wonder how they got stuff released ie Disorder et al ) . Discharge were the pioneers of the hard core thrash punk scene and many punk and metal bands copied or tried to be like them . I guess the relevancy of a lot of their material now though is gone like Crass - no one sings about nuclear war now . I liked them but I don't think it would be the same now .
All quiet ..........
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Interesting, thanks for enlightening me.

Sent from my RM-914_eu_euro1_225 using Tapatalk
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

I think I have one of their original singles.They certainly were the pioneers of Hard Core Punk.Their lead singer Cal at the time,would never show his face when photographed.They certainly were a great band along with a similar sounding band called the Blitz.Brutal sounding but great.
pigeon
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by pigeon »

Jim you were honored to have a band in your local that james hetfield has on his denim black patched jacket
Metallica coverd free speech for the dumb!!!
Manc In Black
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Manc In Black »

They supported the Mib at either Hanley or Stoke if i recall
on on on on
Established 11 September 1974
MrBlack77
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by MrBlack77 »

theraven1979 wrote:Discharge were playing in my local tonight - didn't bother - have I missed out on the gig of the century?

Jim
Oh dear if you like trash/ hardcore punk you missed out there. Discharge were great back in the day and still are in this day :smt023
Dom P
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by Dom P »

Ah that brings back memories.... my best mate was into Discharge, and he got me to paint the logo on the back of his leather jacket.... I hated them... but if you like that kind of thing. I preferred Crass.
"I think you guys are going to have to come up with some wonderful new lies, or people just aren't going to want to go on living." -- Slaughterhouse-Five
db63
Rats Rally

Post by db63 »

I remember seeing them at apocalypse now at the Lyceum London in early 80s,and Rhyl in north wales they were awsome ,didn't bother with them after singer cal left.
ThruBeingCool
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by ThruBeingCool »

I was into Discharge in the early days, I bought all their singles on the Clay Records label and the 'Why?' Mini album. They were indeed the first hardcore band and influenced many others. If you thought punk was about noise then these were the band for you. I saw them at a venue in Retford called The Porterhouse in 1980 ( maybe 1981) and I thought they were pretty awful actually as a live band. It was almost impossible to distinguish one song (not that songs are really what they played) from the next. Although they weren't much different on record you could at least separate the good noise from the er...just noise. 'Aint No Feeble Bastard' & 'Decontrol' are examples of the good stuff.
I have to say that ultimately for me these type of bands along with The Exploited and the Oi!Oi! Crew etc killed off my interest in looking for new punk bands. No doubt about it though, when I see young punk rockers of today they seem to be more influenced by the early 80's third generation punks than the seventies originals.
My fondest memory of Discharge is actually getting to meet Cal after The Porterhouse gig. I was puking up in the bogs when Cal popped in and I managed a quick "aye up Cal" in between wretching ...it's great to meet the stars especially in such sophisticated surroundings innit?

Last saw Discharge in 2005 at a Rock City punk all dayer. Think only one original member of the band was left at this point. They were shite. Maybe I wasn't drunk enough to appreciate the experience on that occasion.

"Never! Never!...Never again!"