U2

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Sinister
The Man They Love To Hate

U2

Post by Sinister »

So we've had Simple Minds .... there has to be some U2 fans here also.
They have done some good stuff especially from their early albums - War, Under a Blood Red Sky (live) and my personal fave The Unforgettable Fire.
Whooo's there in the shadows
zontar
The Man They Love To Hate

Re: U2

Post by zontar »

Will admit, wth no great pride, that I bought their debut, mostly 'cause I once admired Steve Lillywhite's clattering production style. Wot a sap I was!
Hammersmith1982
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Hammersmith1982 »

Not a bad band at all. Loved the stuff up to Rattle and Hum, but otherwise it's just not as good.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

The live album Blood Red Sky is the only one I can deal with really. Bits off Zooropa.

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Rockula
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Rockula »

First three albums are o.k. After that I put them out of my mind. Best track, 'A Celebration' (1983) didn't even make it onto an album (except compilations)..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfugEnpka_0

Maybe 'cause it sounded too much like 'The War Song', performed live by Southern Death Cult in 1981 and, after being renamed 'Spiritwalker', recorded and performed by Death Cult in '82/'83. It wasn't released on vinyl until it was out by The Cult in '84. But there's interviews from The Edge at the time saying how much he liked Death Cult. Coincidence?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wk9L25OehY
ManInBrown
dan-electro
Ugly
Ugly

Post by dan-electro »

theraven1979 wrote:The live album Blood Red Sky is the only one I can deal with really. Bits off Zooropa.

Jim
I agree, I remember seeing 'Under A Blood Red Sky' concert film on the tube in 1983 and I thought it was brilliant but thereafter I thought it just went downhill and are a band I just can't bring myself to listen too. :|
Hugh - "We had gangs of skinheads coming along trying to cause problems and stuff"
Rick Wakeman - "How did you deal with it?"
Hugh - "Our bass player used to jump off the stage and beat the shit out of them!"
marky
Ugly
Ugly

Post by marky »

the way bono sings ,dances ,and the statements he has periodically made over the years has led me to not like him or his shit band........... sorry any u2 lovers i think their music is self indulgent rubbish
Toiler On The Sea
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Toiler On The Sea »

Liked them right up until they became "This is not a Rebel Song". Boy, October.
Saw them a few times, last being 1st December 1982 when I paid at the door.

Wouldn't cross the road to see them these days, and it'd probably cost £100 if I did.
"They don’t come much better than The Stranglers when performing live; there is no pretence, no hiding place, just superb music"

Liverpool Sound and Vision March 8th 2013.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

The only song I like is "New Years Day"."A tild days In Africa every 2 minutes" a Bono quote I think.Spelling mistake Irish slang.
Manc In Black
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Manc In Black »

Saw them supporting Slade at the Lyceum round about the time of the early singles
They were just knock out.

Went on to see them quite a lot but became less interested around Zooropa
on on on on
Established 11 September 1974
wegga66
Rats Rally

Post by wegga66 »

always remember the interview hugh did with bono in early 80's for the strangled magazine, the head line "So what is all this no more heroes bullshit" hugh saying how confident bono was when he met him , he told hugh that they would go on to be the biggest band in he world, love um or loathe em , thats what they did, saw them at the victoria hall in stoke in 1983, collected some of there live work, but my second favourite band has to be that what was mentioned in an earlier post , the cult, seen them many times, born out of the southern death cult, and the death cult, some great shows in the 80's, saw them at birm 02 last sept with the mission, and the mission blew them off stage.
If it's not recorded ,then it's just a memory

http://thestranglerslive.webs.com/
dan-electro
Ugly
Ugly

Post by dan-electro »

wegga66 wrote:always remember the interview hugh did with bono in early 80's for the strangled magazine, the head line "So what is all this no more heroes bullshit" hugh saying how confident bono was when he met him , he told hugh that they would go on to be the biggest band in he world, love um or loathe em , thats what they did, saw them at the victoria hall in stoke in 1983, collected some of there live work, but my second favourite band has to be that what was mentioned in an earlier post , the cult, seen them many times, born out of the southern death cult, and the death cult, some great shows in the 80's, saw them at birm 02 last sept with the mission, and the mission blew them off stage.
I think that interview was with the bass player Adam Clayton (Around the time of Aural Sculpture). Quite a good interview that one, I remember him telling Hugh about Bono having a hissy fit at the way The Stranglers treated them (no sound check or dressing room), hence the 'So what is all this No More Heroes shit?' comment. :lol:
Hugh - "We had gangs of skinheads coming along trying to cause problems and stuff"
Rick Wakeman - "How did you deal with it?"
Hugh - "Our bass player used to jump off the stage and beat the shit out of them!"