XTC... Waxworks/Beeswax... Result!

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

jonimac
The Man They Love To Hate

Re: XTC... Waxworks/Beeswax... Result!

Post by jonimac »

Absolutely spot on unbroken.
Although I'd take Norfolk Coast and Suite 16 over Apple Venus 1 & 2 any day of the week.
But that's not the real Stranglers anyway ( I know, let's not start that debate!!!)
From Glasgow, the centre of Stranglermania (copyright Strangled 1982)
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

I'm not sure everyone would share your opinion. But then, comparing XTC to The Stranglers is a bit of a pointless exercise really.

Jim
unbroken69 wrote:Hi FELLAS :smt006

If you compare XTC's output from 1983 onwards to the Stranglers repertoire from the same date, then XTC win hands down. Mummer, Big Express, Skylarking, Oranges and Lemons and the two Dukes of Stratosphear albums - knock bells off Feline, Aural Scupture, Dreamtime and 10. Nonsuch, Apple Venus and Wasp Star are also vastly superior to any any Stranglers mkII stuff. The first six Stranglers albums beat seven shades of shit out of the early XTC ones.
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Rockula
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Rockula »

[quote="theraven1979"] .....comparing XTC to The Stranglers is a bit of a pointless exercise really.

Jim

[quote="unbroken69"]

I agree. Two of my favourite bands of all time. Both did/do their own thing. Both excellent.
ManInBrown
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

XTC don't really excited me like the Stranglers or Killing Joke but they are great band nonetheless.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Rockula
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Rockula »

theraven1979 wrote:In other news http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/artic ... ic-ME.html !

Jim
Interesting stuff.
Wexler's first track from the mentioned album.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElwWrPKGE9I
....but I prefer Andy's daughter's stuff to his wife's. :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xa3s-lqw6iE
ManInBrown
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

I couldn't really choose between The Stranglers and XTC... I like them both for different reasons!
unbroken69
Ugly
Ugly

Post by unbroken69 »

I wasn't trying to start a Stranglers vs Xtc showdown but I do think it fair to compare two bands like this who were cotemporaries. Two of my favourite bands who've retained my ears for over 30 years, sometimes I ask myself why.

I very rarely listen to Stranglers albums between La Folie and Norfolk Coast and likewise I rarely listen to the first few XTC ones. I think XTC kept their creative juices flowing in the mid 1980's while the Stranglers who were still great always had one eye on the Woolthworth racks. XTC also stopped touring about 1981, so that explains their greater output of songs and albums between 1982 and 1992.

I wonder had XTC continued to play live and tour how that would've affected their album sales and their creativity and perhaps if the Stranglers hadn't had the commercial success with Golden Brown would that have affected their creativity. XTC were quite popular on the American college circuit and must've known that a tour of the US in the late 80's may well have seen their popularity rise significantly, meanwhile the Stranglers could never find a market in the USA which naturally upset Cornwell in a big way,

Anyway glad you found Waxworks... the way you did, it's fantastic when you bump into little gems like that when you least expect it.

theraven1979 wrote:I'm not sure everyone would share your opinion. But then, comparing XTC to The Stranglers is a bit of a pointless exercise really.

Jim

If you compare XTC's output from 1983 onwards to the Stranglers repertoire from the same date, then XTC win hands down. Mummer, Big Express, Skylarking, Oranges and Lemons and the two Dukes of Stratosphear albums - knock bells off Feline, Aural Scupture, Dreamtime and 10. Nonsuch, Apple Venus and Wasp Star are also vastly superior to any any Stranglers mkII stuff. The first six Stranglers albums beat seven shades of shit out of the early XTC ones.
Oh the bliss, oh the pleasure caressing your ears.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

But that's part of the problem in comparing IMO - XTC do joyful songs about the changing of the seasons etc (as you say far more appealing to the U.S radio stations) whereas Stranglers sing about violence and drug abuse.

Jim
unbroken69 wrote:I wasn't trying to start a Stranglers vs Xtc showdown but I do think it fair to compare two bands like this who were cotemporaries. Two of my favourite bands who've retained my ears for over 30 years, sometimes I ask myself why.

I very rarely listen to Stranglers albums between La Folie and Norfolk Coast and likewise I rarely listen to the first few XTC ones. I think XTC kept their creative juices flowing in the mid 1980's while the Stranglers who were still great always had one eye on the Woolthworth racks. XTC also stopped touring about 1981, so that explains their greater output of songs and albums between 1982 and 1992.

I wonder had XTC continued to play live and tour how that would've affected their album sales and their creativity and perhaps if the Stranglers hadn't had the commercial success with Golden Brown would that have affected their creativity. XTC were quite popular on the American college circuit and must've known that a tour of the US in the late 80's may well have seen their popularity rise significantly, meanwhile the Stranglers could never find a market in the USA which naturally upset Cornwell in a big way,

Anyway glad you found Waxworks... the way you did, it's fantastic when you bump into little gems like that when you least expect it.

theraven1979 wrote:I'm not sure everyone would share your opinion. But then, comparing XTC to The Stranglers is a bit of a pointless exercise really.

Jim

unbroken69
Ugly
Ugly

Post by unbroken69 »

Come on now Partridge and Moulding had a wide range of topics including: Drugs - Grass. Violence - No Thugs In Our House.

I've also read both bands being described as quintessentially British.

theraven1979 wrote:But that's part of the problem in comparing IMO - XTC do joyful songs about the changing of the seasons etc (as you say far more appealing to the U.S radio stations) whereas Stranglers sing about violence and drug abuse.

[/quote][/quote][/quote]
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by aldinblack »

can I ask one simple question about XTC, what album of theirs, if any, sounds similar to or closest to "Drums & Wires" ?
I Hate You !
unbroken69
Ugly
Ugly

Post by unbroken69 »

I would say Black Sea has a similar vibe and parts of English Settlement.
aldinblack wrote:can I ask one simple question about XTC, what album of theirs, if any, sounds similar to or closest to "Drums & Wires" ?