XTC... Science Friction.

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Burn e 77
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Re: XTC... Science Friction.

Post by Burn e 77 »

pigeon wrote:Uh do they sound like Pantera?. If they don't im not interested. :roll: :mrgreen:
Nope, they're intrinsically melodic with quintessentially British quirkiness and their vocalist is not a Nazi cunt... so, not like Pantera then...
AND GIRLS like em too :wink:
Punk Unk :wink:
Something better change!
pigeon
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by pigeon »

Burn e 77 wrote:
pigeon wrote:Uh do they sound like Pantera?. If they don't im not interested. :roll: :mrgreen:
Nope, they're intrinsically melodic with quintessentially British quirkiness and their vocalist is not a Nazi cunt... so, not like Pantera then...
AND GIRLS like em too :wink:
oh well they can "Walk on home ... boy" as phil says. :grin:
Burn e 77
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Burn e 77 »

pigeon wrote:
Burn e 77 wrote:
Oh... AND GIRLS like em too :wink:
oh well they can "Walk on home ... boy" as phil says. :grin:
Erm... They don't need to "Walk on home, boy"... Their girlfriends drive them home after gigs (yes, they have girlfriends, an unknown phenomena in the Heavy Metaller fraternity)... as opposed to going pig racing in leather waistcoats with Motorhead patches on them... Heavy metal: = Spotty virginal schoolboys with a Nazi philosophy and homoerotic body building fascination... VERSUS... XTC: = New wave, folk pop, creative psychedelia... with social skills and creative life's and interests...no contest :lol: :wink:
Sgt. Rock
Something better change!
Bobinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Bobinblack »

And on that bombshell, I'm in - XTC should start a political group :grin:
Think I'll go for a stroll in the trees.
Burn e 77
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Burn e 77 »

Bobinblack wrote:And on that bombshell, I'm in - XTC should start a political group :grin:
Vote: The Ecstasy Party... :wink:
Burn e 77
Last edited by Burn e 77 on 01 Feb 2013, 16:43, edited 3 times in total.
Something better change!
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Pantera in an XTC thread? Christ. Pantera aren't even good metal either, it's shit knucklehead bollocks.
AdyP
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by AdyP »

...and X-static http://www.x-static.org/index.html were great too. Went to see them at the Hope and Anchor with Jonimac a few years ago - top night out.
jonimac
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by jonimac »

Mummer is also my favourite album.
Wasn't a great fan until Dave Gregory got involved and I think the material without him later on isn't particularly great.

Drums And Wires onwards are almost perfect pop, hint of Beatles, wonderfully intermeshed guitars, and bass guitarist who always played interesting lines.
Terry Chamber was one of the most unique drummers I've ever heard. Hit the drums very hard but managed to keep the beat mechanically perfect, while adding his little fills.
Skylarking is probably regarded as their best work and I probably play that more than the others. The first side is something Paul McCartney would give his right bollock to compose today. Partridge and Rudgren fought throughout it's recording but what emerged is timeless.
Have you ever heard a more clever song than "The Man Who Sailed Around His Soul"?

I'm so pleased there are so many fans of XTC on the forum.
I would rather see one more XTC gig (never saw one in fact) than any Hugh/Stranglers reunion.
From Glasgow, the centre of Stranglermania (copyright Strangled 1982)
Burn e 77
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Burn e 77 »

jonimac wrote:Mummer is also my favourite album.
Wasn't a great fan until Dave Gregory got involved and I think the material without him later on isn't particularly great.

Drums And Wires onwards are almost perfect pop, hint of Beatles, wonderfully intermeshed guitars, and bass guitarist who always played interesting lines.
Terry Chamber was one of the most unique drummers I've ever heard. Hit the drums very hard but managed to keep the beat mechanically perfect, while adding his little fills.
Skylarking is probably regarded as their best work and I probably play that more than the others. The first side is something Paul McCartney would give his right bollock to compose today. Partridge and Rudgren fought throughout it's recording but what emerged is timeless.
Have you ever heard a more clever song than "The Man Who Sailed Around His Soul"?

I would rather see one more XTC gig (never saw one in fact) than any Hugh/Stranglers reunion.
Cool post, fella :wink:
Burn e 77
Something better change!
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Skylarking is beautiful slab of work - Look forward to hearing it when the days start getting a little warmer.

Jim
jonimac wrote:Mummer is also my favourite album.

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"