Best Albums of 2012

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Best Albums of 2012

Post by theraven1979 »

Obviously Giants and Totem & Taboo aside what do you consider the best of this year? Re-releases allowed.

For me

Wussy - Buckeye - More of a compilation album really aimed at the UK market of selected tracks from their first few albums. - Stated by some critics as "the best band in America" is a bold statement but they're ruddy good. The male / female verse choruses with poppy melodic riffs are unbelieably catchy. Caught them earlier this year on their 2nd date of their first tour outside the States.

Sleigh Bells - Reign Of Terror - Find of the year for me - Their ridiculously OTT guitar and drum samples leave you wondering if they're taking the piss or they're for real. Their cheesey 80s videos to accompany their singles still leave you wondering just what they're on. That said the songs on Reign Of Terror are highly addictive. The song "Crush" for example samples a crowd of friends helping the percussion by stamping their feet in a basketball hall.

Worth a mention....

Blood Red Shoes - In Time To Voices. Stand out track "Cold" - Full of potential maybe they should just go full on Goth though.

I'll add more when I remember! What's yours?

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: Best Albums of 2012

Post by jason »

Killing Jokes new one for me and Giants and Totem.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Julian Cope - Psychedelic Revolution Great return to form by The Cope - The greasy rock of the Black Sheep albums has given way to this delightful Cope, acoustic and mellotron classic formula. Stand out track "As the Beer Flows Over Me"

Jim
kincajou
Rats Rally

Post by kincajou »

Bob Mould - The Silver Age. Ten slabs of guitar-based rock that whack you round the head yet carry subtle melodies throughout. Not a poor track in sight from the ex-Husker Du and Sugar man. Get it & play at full volume, especially in the car!

By far the best album of 2012.

Runners Up: Black Keys - El Camino, Hugh Cornwell - Totem & Taboo, This is PiL, Sigur Ros - Valtari, David Lynch - Crazy Clown Time.

Then comes The Stranglers - Giants
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

I must admit I haven't been too excited by many other bands this year. Apart from the Stranglers, KJ and Hugh I have quite enjoyed albums by;

Hot chip
The Horrors
Two door cinema club
Kasabian (that may have been last year)
and Feeder
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

jason wrote:I must admit I haven't been too excited by many other bands this year. Apart from the Stranglers, KJ and Hugh I have quite enjoyed albums by;

Hot chip
The Horrors
Two door cinema club
Kasabian (that may have been last year)
and Feeder
Oh and Muse
gizzard
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by gizzard »

Aside from Stranglers & Hugh

Killing Joke - MMXII
This Is PiL.
Bruce Springsteen - Wrecking Ball

Best Re-issue - New Model Army - Vengeance The Whole Story 1980-1984.

8)
''I THINK THE STRANGLERS ARE CRIMINALLY VULGAR, VIOLENT AND VORACIOUS, AND I OFTEN WONDER HOW THEY GET AWAY WITH IT.''
parasiteinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by parasiteinblack »

Top 9 Albums I have bought this year in terms of enjoyment:
1. Stranglers - Giants - by no means a favourite a few excellent tracks here
2. Grimes - Visions - best discovery of the year, great in the dark with headphones
3. Offspring - Days Go By - again not their best but a few excellent tracks here
4. The The - Moonbug - very good mood music, good for planning lessons but generally background music
5. Muse - The 2nd Law - better than Resistance but still far from their best, some good some absolute stinkers (same as usual)
6. Hugh Cornwell - Totem and Taboo - better than Hooverdam but still far from his best, some good some absolute stinkers (same as usual)
7. Futureheads - Rant - not bad but more of a novelty than an album that warrants repeated listening
8. Ultravox - Brilliant - not great really, haven't listened to it in months
9. Marina and the Diamonds - Electra Heart - crushing disappointment after the brilliant first album, not listened to this for months either though it's not all bad.

So in summary - lots of albums by lots of my favourite artists this year but not a single classic as far as I'm concerned, lots of disappointment!

maybe I'll get something better for christmas or summink, Legendary Pink Dots bring out Chemical Playschool 15 next week.
"I woke up on a good day, and the world was wonderful"
Ribery
Rats Rally

Post by Ribery »

Haven't heard a decent new album by anybody including the Stranglers since "Once" by Nightwish in 2004. Most modern music is shite. Everything I've heard this year by anyone is crap.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Not like you to be negative :lol:

Jim
Ribery wrote:Haven't heard a decent new album by anybody including the Stranglers since "Once" by Nightwish in 2004. Most modern music is shite. Everything I've heard this year by anyone is crap.
Alexinblack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Alexinblack »

This is our Day, The Roughneck Riot, an excellent album and a band that I think will become quite big in the future
Giants. Overall I Like Giants, Freedom is insane, Time was once on my side, Lowlands are all great tracks for me dont mind Mecury Rising or Giants either.
Havnt heard a great deal else, dont mind some of the new PIL album, same with Madness.
Ribery
Rats Rally

Post by Ribery »

theraven1979 wrote:Not like you to be negative :lol:

Jim
Ribery wrote:Haven't heard a decent new album by anybody including the Stranglers since "Once" by Nightwish in 2004. Most modern music is shite. Everything I've heard this year by anyone is crap.
I love you Jim, I hope you know that :grin: