Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

ryaninblack
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Re: Led zep - celebration day

Post by ryaninblack »

Five Minutes wrote:
pigeon wrote:Awsome

When the leaves break, one of my favourite songs of theirs.
I agree, brilliant song.

I don't know if they ever played that live.
I always thought it was Levee........ :twisted:
porkymeat
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by porkymeat »

I thought Levi's - 'Percy' Plant's pants were always under considerable strain during the 70s.
I'll even let you drive my motorbike . . .
manticore
Ugly
Ugly

Post by manticore »

Five Minutes wrote:An hour of the concert is on BBC2 next Saturday night.
watched this and thought it was...ok. nothing special.i'd rather a jimmy page/david coverdale reunion.thats a great album.
dont get your trossachs caught in your sporran
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

manticore wrote:
Five Minutes wrote:An hour of the concert is on BBC2 next Saturday night.
watched this and thought it was...ok. nothing special.i'd rather a jimmy page/david coverdale reunion.thats a great album.

I haven't heard the Coverdale/Page record but all of a sudden you've made me wanna check it out! :grin: I have more than a soft spot for Zeppelin myself, although I've always struggled a bit with 'In Through The Out Door'. Almost everything they did from the debut up until 'Physical Graffiti' is classic stuff, imho... although 'Presence' is a really underrated album for me though... considered probably one of their weakest records, but it still has 'Achilles Last Stand' and 'Nobody's Fault But Mine' on it!
Five Minutes
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Five Minutes »

Yeah the Coverdale Page record is surprisingly good, miles better than the dreadful Walking Into Clarksdale.
Last time I came here a friend of mine just got triple-jacked over a steeplehammer and jessop jessop jessop jessop jessop
will taylor
Down In The Sewer

Post by will taylor »

StanInBlack wrote: I haven't heard the Coverdale/Page record but all of a sudden you've made me wanna check it out! :grin: I have more than a soft spot for Zeppelin myself, although I've always struggled a bit with 'In Through The Out Door'. Almost everything they did from the debut up until 'Physical Graffiti' is classic stuff, imho... although 'Presence' is a really underrated album for me though... considered probably one of their weakest records, but it still has 'Achilles Last Stand' and 'Nobody's Fault But Mine' on it!
I too have a soft spot for Presence and simply love it's vigor. Apart from Nobody's Fault But Mine my other favourites on there are New Orleans & Hots On For Nowhere. In Through The Out Door is slightly patchy but still has a number of top drawer cuts. And as for Physical Graffiti well the first 6 tracks are as good as any album I've ever heard by any band (shame about side 2!). Never been a huge fan of their so called magnum opus Led Zep IV though (like 2/3 of it but some filler).

Interesting how despite 7 No.1 albums many people I know just don't get Zeppelin, it's pretty cool that 30+ years on their music retains an immense aura with a real enigmatic quality. They really have stood the test of time and are deserved 'legends'. I usually can't stand that word but for these guys it more than applies. Not sure whether to bother with the Celebration Day concert though, John Bonham's drumming is such a huge part of their sound.

The Coverdale/Page record isn't anything essential in my view (as the album progresses it gets a little formulaic) but does admittedly contain some good stuff (check out 'Shake My Tree'), I haven't given it a spin in years, may well dust it off later. :wink: