Return of the Giant Slits

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

elvisintheclouds
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Return of the Giant Slits

Post by elvisintheclouds »

I thought this would make a good thread title...

...but seriously, does anyone rate this album at all?
Thank you very much
EiTC
Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

Re: Return of the Giant Slits

Post by Jon the Impaler »

I had many many albums and singles by many many punk bands - from th eoriginal bands right through to the 80's - oi , hardcore , thrash, anarcho etc - you name it ........ sometimes you pick up on a band later on you managed to miss first time around - I did it a bit late ( comparatively ) with The Lurkers - noticing them in around 1980 when they reformed and did This Dirty Town and many more after . I did the same with The Slits - picking up an album after hearing so much about them , this was probably late 80's - I played it and thought " What the fuck is this noise " - it may be punk in its loosest definition , but to me it was just an awful racket . I've never played it since . Didn't seem to be music as such - some screaming/yelling and random drums banging and screeching thimngs - I presume are guitars - they made Discharge seem quite talented and tuneful . I can homnestly sy that some of the bands I did listen to , if I say something is a noise , then its got to be pretty bad ( cue Mercury Rising :grin: ) .
All quiet ..........
Ribery
Rats Rally

Post by Ribery »

The Slits were just a dreadful, talentless, tuneless racket.
Ribery
Rats Rally

Post by Ribery »

Jon the Impaler wrote:I had many many albums and singles by many many punk bands - from th eoriginal bands right through to the 80's - oi , hardcore , thrash, anarcho etc - you name it ........ sometimes you pick up on a band later on you managed to miss first time around - I did it a bit late ( comparatively ) with The Lurkers - noticing them in around 1980 when they reformed and did This Dirty Town and many more after . I did the same with The Slits - picking up an album after hearing so much about them , this was probably late 80's - I played it and thought " What the fuck is this noise " - it may be punk in its loosest definition , but to me it was just an awful racket . I've never played it since . Didn't seem to be music as such - some screaming/yelling and random drums banging and screeching thimngs - I presume are guitars - they made Discharge seem quite talented and tuneful . I can homnestly sy that some of the bands I did listen to , if I say something is a noise , then its got to be pretty bad ( cue Mercury Rising :grin: ) .
Me too, it was the one mentioned in the thread title and I bought it in about 1982 or '83. I played it twice and it was absolute pure unadulterated shite. They made the Exploited sound like Led Zeppelin !
elvisintheclouds
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

I saw them back in the day (78 if my semibraincell remembers correctly) and they were pretty good then, although the first album was ok it wasn't as good as my live memories or the peel sessions. Just wondered what the second album was like as I realised the other day that I hadn't actually heard it. Thanks for the replies though 8)
Thank you very much
EiTC
MULLY
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by MULLY »

'Cut' and the Peel Sessions are the girls at their best - by the time 'Return of...' was issued they had moved on (personnel changes, musical direction, etc...). They were experimenting with more tribal 'earthbeats' and getting into that murky area of spiritualism and music - definitely not to everyones taste.

Love 'em or hate 'em - they were for a shining moment - an important part in the punk movement.
Allow me to re-arrange your face, sometimes I'd really like to get to know you better
Détective Privé
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Détective Privé »

Typical Girls Live in Cincinnati & San Francisco is my favorite Slits album. Kind of half bootleg, recorded during their 1981 US tour.

You're my incurable malady
I miss the pleasure of your company
Ribery
Rats Rally

Post by Ribery »

elvisintheclouds wrote:I saw them back in the day (78 if my semibraincell remembers correctly) and they were pretty good then, although the first album was ok it wasn't as good as my live memories or the peel sessions. Just wondered what the second album was like as I realised the other day that I hadn't actually heard it. Thanks for the replies though 8)
Nooooooo !!
elvisintheclouds
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

MULLY wrote:'Cut' and the Peel Sessions are the girls at their best - by the time 'Return of...' was issued they had moved on (personnel changes, musical direction, etc...). They were experimenting with more tribal 'earthbeats' and getting into that murky area of spiritualism and music - definitely not to everyones taste.

Love 'em or hate 'em - they were for a shining moment - an important part in the punk movement.
Cheers MULLY 8)
Thank you very much
EiTC
elvisintheclouds
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Détective Privé wrote:Typical Girls Live in Cincinnati & San Francisco is my favorite Slits album. Kind of half bootleg, recorded during their 1981 US tour.

Cheers Détective Privé
Thank you very much
EiTC
Turkey Troter
Rats Rally

Post by Turkey Troter »

I always liked this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQxvo_9DEqY
Great Bass line
Can't you see can't you see that you're rocking the boat?
elvisintheclouds
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Turkey Troter wrote:I always liked this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQxvo_9DEqY
Great Bass line
Yeah, it good fun that one, I love the slightly mad warbling...
Thank you very much
EiTC