Wussy @ York Stereo 20th September 2012

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Wussy @ York Stereo 20th September 2012

Post by theraven1979 »

Bit of a last minute decision to see Wussy. I’d been slowly digging their stuff through 2012 and the opportunity to see them in a (very) small venue on their 2nd date outside of the U.S was too good to pass by. Working in York that Thursday I’d decided to go back to Leeds get some food then get back to York. A decision I’m glad about when we arrived to the venue to be told that the first act of the evening (American Werewolf Academy) wouldn’t be taking to the stage until 9pm. Never one to pass an opportunity to visit York Tap a quick pint and it was back to Stereo where American Werewolf Academy were onstage. They’re OK put me in mind of a mid 90s Stiff Little Fingers (if they were American). To the bar for orange juice (driving duties!) and about half the crowd leaves (reducing us down to about 30 punters) and Wussy start to soundcheck. There’s only 2 members of Wussy present (Chuck Cleaver and Lisa Walker), I thought they were doing an acoustic performance but they were plugging in electric guitars whilst the PA was playing a nice selection of Belle And Sebastian, Joe Strummer and Stiff Little Fingers.

A few minutes pass and we’re ready to rock. It’s now around 10pm and the 30 or so (non-paying, donations later) punters are suitably revved up. Wussy seem a little nervous initally which is quite endearing. It takes them a couple of songs to find their feet but the crowd give them plenty of support and the band feed of it and it’s a very powerful performance. The duel vocals of Lisa and Chuck work so well together. Put me in mind of the male/female vocals of Rezillos. And it’s a great set, all the faves (Airbourne, Maglite, Death By Misadventure). Death By Misadventure coming across particularly well, the duel vocals are incredible. This is the bands first visit to the UK and York has clearly bowled them over. Originating from Ohio, Lisa and Chuck mentioning York as some weird fairyland with hobbit money is amusing. Some of the crowd point out that Yes York is fantastic and warn the band that not everywhere in the UK is as awesome. Leicester (a later date on this tour) gets a fair bit of stick. It’s a decent setlist, we’re treated to some Ass Ponys (Chuck’s previous band) songs, which I’m not familiar with, they sound great but I prefer Wussy. Towards the end of the set we’re treated to some serious guitar shredding from Chuck which sees him break 2 strings (one bass string I think). Lisa laughs and then announces the end of the set. Chuck says he can carry on and the crowd shout out for Little Miami (I’d have preferred Magic Words but you can’t have it all). The band oblige, I throw some money in the donations box and thank the chap who organised the event. It’s now 23.30, we try to get to Leeds but there’s road works and divisions on every sodding road home. We eventually get in at around 00:30, I’m up in about 5 hours for work but it was well worth it.

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"