Iron Maiden

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Hammersmith1982
Ugly
Ugly

Iron Maiden

Post by Hammersmith1982 »

Any Maiden fans? Just been announced that they are Headlining Download next year.
mickinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Re: Iron Maiden

Post by mickinblack »

Seen this band live loads of times.
They a great band live and made some great albums.
They havent really changed there style over the years which is why thet still a massive band.
Burn e 77
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Burn e 77 »

Hammersmith1982 wrote:Any Maiden fans? Just been announced that they are Headlining Download next year.
Blimey Pidge... why aren't MeT@££ic@ headlining :shock: :grin:
Burn e 77
Last edited by Burn e 77 on 22 Sep 2012, 12:53, edited 1 time in total.
Something better change!
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

I think we've had a few Maiden discussions before on this board. Loved them when I was 13/14, which let's face it is still their main target audience. That's not to say I don't have a soft spot for them anymore, coz I do, I even bought the last album 'The Final Frontier' which is good fun. I haven't seen Maiden since 'Seventh Son', unlikely I will go and see them again, but you never know. I still reckon 'Killers' to be the best thing they ever did though. I see that Steve 'Arry' Harris has a solo album out now as well
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

"Running Free" was good.That's the kindest thing I can say about them.
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

The bass line on 'Running Free' as well as 'Innocent Exile' from the Killers album sounds like they were perhaps inspired by a certain bass player we all love. Bruce Dickinson was in a band before Samson called Speed, who were very stranglers influenced according to all accounts.
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

Coincidently enough I've got the Maiden track 'Phantom of the opera' playing now, it's a live version with Bruce on vocals, I don't like the way he delivered songs Dianno originally sung, but Bruce is an enigmatic front-man/vocalist in his own way, even Dianno says he was the best vocalist Maiden ever had. The real downside about Maiden and virtually all metal bands is when they go all complicated it verges on ridiculous and boring. Maiden are great fun, but I only ever took them seriously when I was as I say 13/14 :shock:
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by aldinblack »

Their debut album "iron maiden" released 1980 is surely their best album ?
I Hate You !
Alias
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by Alias »

aldinblack wrote:Their debut album "iron maiden" released 1980 is surely their best album ?

Secunded! :smt006
I'm a comedian and poet, so anything that doesn't get a laugh is a poem. B.Hicks.

"Further modulation of the frequency rotation, Triggered waveband activation - near elation"

'Why are you so edgy, kid ?'
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

I actually agree with Maiden's own take (or Steve Harris to be precise) on the first album, good songs, great in fact, but the production ain't up to much really, maybe normal for a band’s debut. I think ‘Killers’ has more of an edge to it, arguably down to the fact Martin Birch was on board, who really helped to solidify Maiden's sound over the coming decade, personal opinion like
Alias
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by Alias »

Jake wrote:I actually agree with Maiden's own take (or Steve Harris to be precise) on the first album, good songs, great in fact, but the production ain't up to much really, maybe normal for a band’s debut. I think ‘Killers’ has more of an edge to it, arguably down to the fact Martin Birch was on board, who really helped to solidify Maiden's sound over the coming decade, personal opinion like
Yeah mibee mate, but the first album had the tunes, I reckon.
They started fucking up the great cover art after the first 2 albums too, I think,
Eddie never looked as good again 8)
I'm a comedian and poet, so anything that doesn't get a laugh is a poem. B.Hicks.

"Further modulation of the frequency rotation, Triggered waveband activation - near elation"

'Why are you so edgy, kid ?'
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

Alias wrote:Yeah mibee mate, but the first album had the tunes, I reckon.
They started fucking up the great cover art after the first 2 albums too, I think,
Eddie never looked as good again 8)

I know what you mean with Eddie, must confess I have one Maiden DVD, it's called The Early years I believe, there is a pretty good documentary on it, basically EMI had a marketing strategy with Maiden from the word go, and the Eddie artwork was very much at the forefront. I did read an article that supported the view Maiden will always have a ready army of 14 year old boys (doesn't sound too good) because of the artwork. I knew kids at school who bought an Iron Maiden album purely for the artwork as odd as it may sound.