New Order in 2012

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

johnpidgeon
The Man They Love To Hate

New Order in 2012

Post by johnpidgeon »

I just got a pair of ticket to see New Order (minus Peter Hook) in Toronto at the end of October. Looking forward to seeing a concert that's not a Disney or Sesame Street production.
john pidgeon
brampton, ontario
canada
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: New Order in 2012

Post by Greatkudu »

Enjoy.But i am afraid New Order have always left me cold.Loved Joy Division though.
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

Love em both, but New Order without Hooky is like the stranglers without Hugh in a way, I know some people can live with that, but you know a lot of us feel it is our right to point out that it just ain't as good. I'd say Hooky not being in New Order is worse than the stranglers loss of Hugh, especially given that the line up remained almost unchanged for 30 years, with the exception Of Gillian whatshername leaving and now back. I can't imagine NO without him, and ain't gunna rush out to spend good money seeing them without him to be frank. That said, I love most of what New Order have done over the years, yes I probably prefer JD, but there ya go. Personally I don't see why Bernard Sumner can't do a different band playing bits of what all his other bands have done, but he ain't gonna get as many punters that way. I think it was kinda crap they reformed without Hooky and I agree with Hooky it ain't New Order without him.
johnpidgeon
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by johnpidgeon »

Yes, I was a bit bummed when I found that Peter Hook left the band (or didn't come back) but I have really enjoyed the last few albums (Get Ready and Waiting for the Sirens to Call). And it's been awhile since I have been excited to go to a concert. I haven't seen many in the last few years. Just Hugh, and a PiL show a little while back (which was boring) and Devo when they played the Freedom of Choice album.
john pidgeon
brampton, ontario
canada
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

Have a good un, I wouldn't mind seeing new order, but not the price they charge without Hooky. I havent been to anything exciting gig wise in ages, and dont have anything defo on the cars either unfortunatley
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Re: RE: New Order in 2012

Post by theraven1979 »

I'm seeing hooky do his JD book reading in Oct. Its on my doorstep so why not.

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Russ65
Rats Rally

Post by Russ65 »

New Order these days are Sumners new band Bad Leuitenant plus the lass on keyboard. Gave to say i enjoyed Bad Leuitenant
couple of years ago when I saw them. Hooky doing Joy Division Unknown Pleasures tour in autumn too.
Ribery
Rats Rally

Post by Ribery »

I saw Joy Division in 1979 twice and have seen New Order a few times, (most recently while working at Live Earth in Hamburg standing next to Bianca Jagger), I never understood what the fuss was about. I thought Joy Division were arty farty crap.
Toiler On The Sea
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Toiler On The Sea »

johnpidgeon wrote:Yes, I was a bit bummed when I found that Peter Hook left the band (or didn't come back).
From what I can gather, it was neither!!! He just wasn't asked to take part in the tour.
"They don’t come much better than The Stranglers when performing live; there is no pretence, no hiding place, just superb music"

Liverpool Sound and Vision March 8th 2013.
Homer
Ugly
Ugly

Re: RE: New Order in 2012

Post by Homer »

theraven1979 wrote:I'm seeing hooky do his JD book reading in Oct. Its on my doorstep so why not.

Jim
Been thinking of attending this ... and agree, NO without Hooky ... its a no-go, was reported the replacement was miming to Hooky riffs :oops: :oops: :grin: :grin:
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

I know it's pretty old hat, but Hooky has publicy been saying what a wanker he thinks Bernard is, all pretty sad and pointless, but you do get some idea there was always a tension between the members from the very beginning. Heavy legacy that hangs over them, a lot of drugs involved, general crazy story when it comes to Joy Division/New Order, they are unique!
Bobinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Bobinblack »

Hooky's important but he ain't no JJ Burnel :grin:

Saw New Order earlier this year - wasn't too sure at first but it's BARNEY who is the crucial band member of New Order, and that is no disrespect at all to Hook who I've always thought was an ace bassist.

It will be a good gig, you might Regret not going, I'm telling ya :D
Think I'll go for a stroll in the trees.