The Clash (The most overated band ever)

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Sancho Panza
The Man They Love To Hate

Re: The Clash (The most overated band ever)

Post by Sancho Panza »

Greatkudu wrote:To "Sancho Panza" .I had to reply to your "Tedious Comment".This Is a forum and as a forum ,it has opinions on It.You may not agree with the subject matter,so don't bother commenting.I like debate,and the reason I picked out the clash Is because they seem to be a sacred cow In Punk & and its history.I personally don't agree with their importance Ok!.That is why I put my "shit Tedious opinion on Here".I am sorry you find It so "Shit & Boring".Maybe you would like to get some debate going by putting a really amazing subject matter on here.And not that It matters the least but "Rock the Casbah" Is a great song.I am going now to watch some paint dry.
Mustpaha Dance is better, but that's just my opinion.

Greatkudu, don't take the critisism of the thread topic personally but of late there's been so much this band v that band etc and this thread just put a tin hat on it for me.
I did point out the irony in my post, that's not something thats found in cabbage and nails.

The title of the thread suggests its a statement rather then a question for debate. Debate is healthy, unfounded (and clearly wrong given the number of comments) statements are provocotive.

You don't like The Clash, fine, doesn't make them overrated though.

Written in Red and CDG better than London Calling? Really? I'll give them another spin and hope that I just got it so wrong last time I listened to them.

Anyway, which beans do you like?
Don Baterista
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

I haven't got London Calling but I definately prefer CDG and WIR to the Clash singles collection.
Ribery
Rats Rally

Post by Ribery »

Greatkudu wrote:To "Ribery".Like I said this is a forum.My opinion is they are overated.Ok!.
You didn't say they are overrated (that would have been a reasonable opinion), you said they are the most overrated band ever, (which is fücking ridiculous).
dead ringer
Ugly
Ugly

Post by dead ringer »

Ribery wrote:
Jake wrote:I'm only going so far as to say Led Zepp are over rated, not my cup of tea at all, Plant's vocal style doesn't do a lot for me and I don't like drum solos as a rule, but they did a few OK songs imo, though really nothing special to me (each to his own eh)
All that means is that they aren't to your taste not that they are overrated. I don't like the Stones or the Spice Girls but the Spice Girls were crap and the Stones aren't.

I have to agree with this! The Spice Girls were crap but then i'm not a 12yr old girl who would probably disagree and hate my music! I've heard people say they thought Pavarotti and Lois Armstrong were overrated but one would assume they're either mad or deaf, they are certainly wrong, however at the end of the day it's personal opinion!
parasiteinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by parasiteinblack »

dead ringer wrote: The Spice Girls were crap but then i'm not a 12yr old girl who would probably disagree
not anymore... I'm now a teacher and this year there will be no pupil in the school who was even born when the Spice Girls had their first hit :/
From what I've learnt this year anything before 2010 is ancient....
I am now old :/
"I woke up on a good day, and the world was wonderful"
ryaninblack
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by ryaninblack »

Not over-rated at all, they deserve every bit of their 'legendary' status.
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

I just think the media etc go on about them far too much. It's partly because their image was cool. They looked the part, their is cool and their politics were cool in their minds. The Stranglers were never cool but their music was better IMO. It's a dhsme the Stranglers can't be judged for their music more. They would be rated higher than the Clash then if it was all about the music. Sadly it's all about being cool in the UK.
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

I missed out their name is cool too rather than the Stranglers name. As I said the JK loves a cool. And like Blur, Verve, Stone Rose etc. Rather than an uncool band like say Killing Joke. It's like why the helll has Hugh's solo career been totally ignored by the media? Did he suddenly become a bad songwriter after 1990?
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

Sorry I meant to say the UK loves a cool band like Blur etc.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

To "Ribery" If I were you I would listen to "Giants",a great album In my opinion.
ThruBeingCool
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by ThruBeingCool »

The Clash, The Jam & Lydon/Pistols all getting slated on this forum lately. Unbelievable!

Next thing it will DEVO and then I'll know that the world has truly gone mad...... :smt009
Ribery
Rats Rally

Post by Ribery »

Greatkudu wrote:To "Ribery" If I were you I would listen to "Giants",a great album In my opinion.
I have played it four times, I just can't get into it. Musically perfect but emotionally for me there is nothing there.