The Clash (The most overated band ever)

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Five Minutes
Ugly
Ugly

Re: The Clash (The most overated band ever)

Post by Five Minutes »

Overrated?

If so they were still a great band IMHO
Last time I came here a friend of mine just got triple-jacked over a steeplehammer and jessop jessop jessop jessop jessop
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

They're alright - London Calling s'alright some good tracks. Sandanista I like as well. Combat Rock however is sooooooo feckin overated it hurts. They're a good band, better live I always enjoyed Strummer's random ad-libs - probably in my Top 20 bands. But in context if the Stranglers amoung the populous are relatively unknown then The Clash should be buried away somewhere.

Although they did get the worst review out of all punk bands - Was it Tony Parsons or someone that said words to the effect of "Yeah they're a garage band that should be left in the garage with the motor running" :shock: :lol:

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Hammersmith1982
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Hammersmith1982 »

fuzzguitars wrote:First the Jam and now the Clash what's up guys? Both of them fine bands along with our boys, I think Weller called it right bands can go on too long,the Clash ended on a real bum note.
The Jam were a superb band - Far superior to The Clash.
will taylor
Down In The Sewer

Post by will taylor »

The Bee wrote:I have to say that I agree. I bought the singles album and couldn't believe the amount of shite on it. that said I like 'London Calling' and for some reason 'Tommy Gun'. :oops:
I too have the singles release. A friend bought it me as an Xmas pressie assuming that just because I'm a big XTC & Stranglers fan that I must therefore like 'punk' too!

To be fair there's undoubtedly some good songs on it, I Fought The Law & London Calling are simply anthemic classics, I also quite like Tommy Gun & Rock The Casbah but I do believe these tracks would appeal to other people like me who don't usually listen to punk music - credit where credits due etc, however I have to agree they're overrated undoubtedly.
iain
Ugly
Ugly

Post by iain »

At school, every Clash fan had very expensive 'punk' trousers that their mummy bought for them. Twats.
rotten thoughts
Rockula
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Rockula »

Most overrated band? Well, I have to disagree but everyone's entitled to thier opinion. It won't change mine. I loved and still love The Clash. Well, 4 of the 5 albums anyway. :)

My nominations for most overrated bands would be The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, U2....and many others before I'd even get to The Clash.
ManInBrown
Sancho Panza
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Sancho Panza »

This shit is becoming tedious now.

Its very clearly a matter of personal opinion, rather like why I prefer Branston baked beans over Heinz or HP. Theres lots of good ones to choose from but for me Branston do it. Who really gives a shit.

Of course I recognise the irony in my last statement and posting on a thread I really shouldn't waste my time on, theres the rub.
Don Baterista
MULLY
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by MULLY »

Sancho Panza wrote:This shit is becoming tedious now.
:wink:
Allow me to re-arrange your face, sometimes I'd really like to get to know you better
Ribery
Rats Rally

Post by Ribery »

theraven1979 wrote: Although they did get the worst review out of all punk bands - Was it Tony Parsons or someone that said words to the effect of "Yeah they're a garage band that should be left in the garage with the motor running"

Jim
I thought that was Charles Shaar Murray ?
Ribery
Rats Rally

Post by Ribery »

Hammersmith1982 wrote: The Jam were a superb band - Far superior to The Clash.
How can that being being as the Clash were great and the Jam were shit ?
Alexinblack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Alexinblack »

Ribery wrote:The Clash started off with three great albums and then went rapidly downhill, to call them the most overrated band ever is childish stupidity. By the time of their New York residency they had conquered the US in a way that no other punk era band, including the Stranglers ever approached let alone attained.
I saw them on the 16 Tons (London Calling) tour in 1980 and they were fantastic live.

Yes they produced some crap from Sandinista onwards but who didn't ? The Buzzcocks, Ramones, Damned, SLF and yes even the Stranglers all churned out forgettable stuff after great early efforts ( Giants for a start).
I would agree there mate, although I do think half of Giants is very good.
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

The Clash were a great band, must admit I do at times find them boring, not a band I instantly chose to listen to, but no not the most over rated band ever by a long shot. I'd personally go with the pistols being more over rated in punk terms, but I could name a hundred bands more over rated, well I won¨t but a few to get going with, U2, Coldplay, stone roses, red hot chilli peppers, Led Zepp, Guns n roses, etc, etc. I think the clash deserve their status, made some great records, personally and controversially I really like Give 'em enough rope, probably more than the first album which isn't the done thing to say but there ya go