The Clash (The most overated band ever)

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: The Clash (The most overated band ever)

Post by Greatkudu »

I like debate so at least my thread got people talking.
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

This is a good thread. I can totally see where you are coming from. I like the Clash but hate all the arse licking that goes with them. The Stranglers are the real daddies. 8)
Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Jon the Impaler »

Greatkudu wrote:Sorry I got It wrong.The Clash had a few good songs.The most overated band ever IMO must be Coldplay.God they are shite IMO.
As I've said ( a few times :lol: ) - I'm not keen on The Clash after their Rope album - if its take it leave it then I'll leave that stuff . I don't get all the hype after that - but thats beside the point - they aren't the worst band ever by a long way , maybe th epolitics was a bit naive and silly at times , maybe they are over rated ( who isn't sometimes :grin: ) - however I'd say the worst band its been my misfortune to hear , NOT Coldplay though I don't know much , or any of their stuff - its UB40 by a long way - I quite simply LOATHE them . Clash - take it or leave it - UB40 - if thats on the radio at work - its Tourette's city time . A band seemingly on a crusade to ruin other people's songs . Annie Lennox isn't too far behind either. Just putting The Clash into perspective from my point of view .
All quiet ..........
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by aldinblack »

Jon the Impaler wrote:
Greatkudu wrote:Sorry I got It wrong.The Clash had a few good songs.The most overated band ever IMO must be Coldplay.God they are shite IMO.
As I've said ( a few times :lol: ) - I'm not keen on The Clash after their Rope album - if its take it leave it then I'll leave that stuff . I don't get all the hype after that - but thats beside the point - they aren't the worst band ever by a long way , maybe th epolitics was a bit naive and silly at times , maybe they are over rated ( who isn't sometimes :grin: ) - however I'd say the worst band its been my misfortune to hear , NOT Coldplay though I don't know much , or any of their stuff - its UB40 by a long way - I quite simply LOATHE them . Clash - take it or leave it - UB40 - if thats on the radio at work - its Tourette's city time . A band seemingly on a crusade to ruin other people's songs . Annie Lennox isn't too far behind either. Just putting The Clash into perspective from my point of view .
can't really disagree with you about UB40 and ruining other peoples songs. It's worth pointing out though that when they started out with their first album "signing off", and to a lesser extent their second "present arms" - they actually had quite an "original" sound and were quite accomplished musically.

After 3-4 albums though they somehow decided to become a covers band and became really irritating from then on, a strange turn of direction IMO.
I Hate You !
dead ringer
Ugly
Ugly

Post by dead ringer »

Yeah the one with Chrissie Hind must be the worst, can't stand her music anyway!
Stevie.T-'up north'
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Stevie.T-'up north' »

Fuckin hell, yeah! Coldplay and UB40. Two turds in the same shitpan!
Sweat and shite and blood!
Hugh in Black
Rats Rally

Post by Hugh in Black »

Ribery wrote:The Clash started off with three great albums and then went rapidly downhill, to call them the most overrated band ever is childish stupidity. By the time of their New York residency they had conquered the US in a way that no other punk era band, including the Stranglers ever approached let alone attained.
I saw them on the 16 Tons (London Calling) tour in 1980 and they were fantastic live.

Yes they produced some crap from Sandinista onwards but who didn't ? The Buzzcocks, Ramones, Damned, SLF and yes even the Stranglers all churned out forgettable stuff after great early efforts ( Giants for a start).
Ribery, we agree on something at last! First three albums top notch. Sandinista would have made a great single album. "Combat Rock" must be the most unbalanced LP in vinyl album history. One cracking side and one crap side.

There used to be a column in one of the Monthly Music mags called "Sacred Cow" where "untouchable" bands were demolished by a journo. Remember The Clash featured one month....will have to try and dig it out.
Hughie in Black
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Sorry I forgot UB40.They are the only band In the whole history of my gig career that I have actually walked out because It was so bad.I saw the Stranglers supporting UB40 in Bournemouth in 2004.the Stranglers were great,so to get the value from the ticket I thought I would see what UB40 were like.They were so bad I walked out within 30 seconds of the opening number.The UB40 fans said to me "Are they that bad"? I replied yes.All you could hear was bass (not In a good way) and the sloth bear like warblings of the two front men,diabolical.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

I also saw them when The Stranglers supported UB40. And to be fair to UB40 they were a shadow of their former selves - The rot had defo kicked in. Aren't they all bankrupt now? Sad really as they must've shifted a few units in their time.

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
MiB81
The Raven
The Raven

Post by MiB81 »

theraven1979 wrote:.... And to be fair to UB40 they were a shadow of their former selves

Jim

True dat, early 80's great (live) band.
...I'm making lists of all the people I love,
and all the cunts that should fuck off...
Bear Cage
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Bear Cage »

MiB81 wrote:
theraven1979 wrote:.... And to be fair to UB40 they were a shadow of their former selves

Jim

True dat, early 80's great (live) band.
I'd disagree; saw UB40 during the '80s, boring then as well.

I don't think the Clash are overrated by most (they were a great live band), it's just the Stranglers are underrated and don't get the recognition their back catalogue and success deserves. Maybe you have to put the work in and ‘break’ America to get the recognition.
Then I got tired of counting all of these blessings, and then I just got tired.
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

I bet the Americans would love the Stranglers if they ever heard them.