The Clash (The most overated band ever)

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Five Minutes
Ugly
Ugly

Re: The Clash (The most overated band ever)

Post by Five Minutes »

Complete Control
White Man
Straight to Hell

Three of the greatest songs ever IMHO...their b sides were better than a lot of bands best stuff
Last time I came here a friend of mine just got triple-jacked over a steeplehammer and jessop jessop jessop jessop jessop
alan baty
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by alan baty »

You either get the stranglers or YOU dont. Most people dont, thats how good they are, it takes a bit of class to appreciate them. certain clash songs are class though.
Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Jon the Impaler »

Rockula wrote:Most overrated band? Well, I have to disagree but everyone's entitled to thier opinion. It won't change mine. I loved and still love The Clash. Well, 4 of the 5 albums anyway. :)

My nominations for most overrated bands would be The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, U2....and many others before I'd even get to The Clash.
Would definitely agree with The Beatles . Anyone notice Paul McCartney has a woman's face .
All quiet ..........
fuzzguitars
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by fuzzguitars »

Rockula wrote:Most overrated band? Well, I have to disagree but everyone's entitled to thier opinion. It won't change mine. I loved and still love The Clash. Well, 4 of the 5 albums anyway. :)

My nominations for most overrated bands would be The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, U2....and many others before I'd even get to The Clash.
Agree with your list especially U2 what a bore and the Clash are better than any of the new bands around today.
Sword sparkle
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Sword sparkle »

Surely one of the most overated bands has to be..............................................the Pistols.
Yarp.
When I say ugly I don't mean rough looking I mean hideoussssss
Ribery
Rats Rally

Post by Ribery »

Jake wrote:The Clash were a great band, must admit I do at times find them boring, not a band I instantly chose to listen to, but no not the most over rated band ever by a long shot. I'd personally go with the pistols being more over rated in punk terms, but I could name a hundred bands more over rated, well I won¨t but a few to get going with, U2, Coldplay, stone roses, red hot chilli peppers, Led Zepp, Guns n roses, etc, etc. I think the clash deserve their status, made some great records, personally and controversially I really like Give 'em enough rope, probably more than the first album which isn't the done thing to say but there ya go
Well I'd agree with all of those (especially U2, an absolute crock of shite) but not Led Zeppelin ! Zeppelin were a fantastic band !
Alexinblack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Alexinblack »

U2 were awful as are Coldplay. Dont think you can put Led Zep into that group though.
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

I'm only going so far as to say Led Zepp are over rated, not my cup of tea at all, Plant's vocal style doesn't do a lot for me and I don't like drum solos as a rule, but they did a few OK songs imo, though really nothing special to me (each to his own eh)
adriana
Ugly
Ugly

Post by adriana »

The Clash were very clever when they fused punk with reggae. White Man in HP and their version of Police and Theives are classic. For sure they made a better job of it then The Police! Yes they may have been placed on overly high pedistals in some quarters and undoubtedly (like nearly every other band that gets past the difficult third album) they lost direction at times and produced material that wasn't very good, but what of it.

The vast majority of people that contribute to this forum have record collections (or CD collections for the young 'uns) in which The Clash, The Jam, Buzzcocks, The Damned etc etc sit happily beside each other. I believe that the music scene of '79/'80 (when those bands really got into their stride) has never been bettered. It would be awful to have a record collection that started and stopped with the Stranglers!

Besides which Metallica are the greatest band in the world..... hello? hello?.......... is there anybody there?...................
"Like A Force Nine Gale Of Bad Breath" Chas De Whalley Sounds

http://www.auralsculptors.blogspot.co.uk
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

To "Sancho Panza" .I had to reply to your "Tedious Comment".This Is a forum and as a forum ,it has opinions on It.You may not agree with the subject matter,so don't bother commenting.I like debate,and the reason I picked out the clash Is because they seem to be a sacred cow In Punk & and its history.I personally don't agree with their importance Ok!.That is why I put my "shit Tedious opinion on Here".I am sorry you find It so "Shit & Boring".Maybe you would like to get some debate going by putting a really amazing subject matter on here.And not that It matters the least but "Rock the Casbah" Is a great song.I am going now to watch some paint dry.
Ribery
Rats Rally

Post by Ribery »

Jake wrote:I'm only going so far as to say Led Zepp are over rated, not my cup of tea at all, Plant's vocal style doesn't do a lot for me and I don't like drum solos as a rule, but they did a few OK songs imo, though really nothing special to me (each to his own eh)
All that means is that they aren't to your taste not that they are overrated. I don't like the Stones or the Spice Girls but the Spice Girls were crap and the Stones aren't.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

To "Ribery".Like I said this is a forum.My opinion is they are overated.Ok!.