New Order

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

gizzard
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Re: New Order

Post by gizzard »

Toiler On The Sea wrote:I'd have missed it anyway due to work, but £40+ without Hooky would have been a big NO from me.
I wouldn't pay that to see the Stranglers :roll:

Don't they know there's a recession on?
Convention :?:
''I THINK THE STRANGLERS ARE CRIMINALLY VULGAR, VIOLENT AND VORACIOUS, AND I OFTEN WONDER HOW THEY GET AWAY WITH IT.''
Toiler On The Sea
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Toiler On The Sea »

gizzard wrote:
Toiler On The Sea wrote:I'd have missed it anyway due to work, but £40+ without Hooky would have been a big NO from me.

That was for 4x Stranglers Sets so 89.00 divided by 4=£22.25 per set.
Using NO's pricing policy, the weekendinblack would have been £160++++

Last time I saw NO they were a bit more reasonable with the tix price:
"They don’t come much better than The Stranglers when performing live; there is no pretence, no hiding place, just superb music"

Liverpool Sound and Vision March 8th 2013.
Audreyinblack
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by Audreyinblack »

Going to Edinburgh to see New Order on Sunday with an open mind, will it be as good without Peter Hook :?: I don't know but I gonna find out :smile:

I love their sound so much that I'm gonna find it hard not to enjoy it 8)
Alexinblack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Alexinblack »

Toiler On The Sea wrote:
gizzard wrote:

That was for 4x Stranglers Sets so 89.00 divided by 4=£22.25 per set.
Using NO's pricing policy, the weekendinblack would have been £160++++

Last time I saw NO they were a bit more reasonable with the tix price:
Even cheaper if you saw Wilko, Goldblade etc, I would have payed money to see JJ cooking too.
davidcassell
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by davidcassell »

Hugh in Black wrote:
davidcassell wrote:Big fan of NO and JD. I think NO's recent material is is less substantial that the old classic stuff, but that's familiar ground for us lot isn't it! (That said, Giants is wonderful). Some of my fave ever songs are JD/NO...Shadowplay, Transmission, Bizzare Love Triangle, Age of Consent, The Eternal and others. As for Hooky leaving the band, it's a shame, especially with such a distinctive sound, but I'm glad they're playing as NO again. Hooky's "The Light" is murdering some old classics.
Anyone who likes NO/JD and has The Fall's TMWHE sleeve as their avatar gets big respect :wink:
Awww thanks.
davidcassell
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by davidcassell »

Toiler On The Sea wrote:
Alias wrote:We were talking about this in the pub the other week, the guys I spoke to were happier going to see Hooky's new band
than this version of New Order.
But Hooky's not playing as/under the JD or NO banner, he's just playing their songs.
Gillian is back in the NO lineup so it's -1 and +1. Hooky out, Gillian in. I'd see NO again if I had the time. Last time I saw them was at Manchester vs Cancer and they were great. Always great imho. Hooky's band...well, it's just him, his son and some other players. Not sure if he has the "moral authority" to be playing those songs in their entirety. It's hard as I hate it when people get precious about Ian Curtis and JD, but I just don't think he had the right for him to be playing Unknown Pleasures and Closer live. It just feels wrong. But of course Hooky in his wisdom answers that question with "it's such a punk think to do". I'd love it if Hooky and Sumner could patch it up, and he could return but that is currently only slightly more likely than Hugh coming back to the Strangs.
Bobinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Bobinblack »

Heard an interview with Hooky on 6 Radio a few weeks back, and he did seem genuinely quite embarrassed at their arguing, falling out etc, saying that it's all a shame and that they should behave better.

I don't mind any of the original band, or Gillian for that matter, if they want to 'exploit' the JD legacy, it's music isn't it, a great image too, and music belongs to the audiences and original band members & creators deserve to gain from their legacy. It's not very classy all of the NO fallouts and arguing over money/rights etc, but if it sounds good, fuck the recession let's pogo! :P *

* That quote is nicked from a punk mate of mine from Bradford.
Think I'll go for a stroll in the trees.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

One of the things I like about New Order is the way Hooky is desperately trying to make them sound rock whilst the rest of them wanna be electronic. Two forces clashing that makes quite a pleasant sound

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Josh
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Josh »

theraven1979 wrote: 14 May 2021, 13:32 One of the things I like about New Order is the way Hooky is desperately trying to make them sound rock whilst the rest of them wanna be electronic. Two forces clashing that makes quite a pleasant sound

Jim
Agreed. That almost push-pull dynamic is what made their earlier work sound so good - at least to my ears.
Never say goodbye,
For we'll all be with you someday,
Fond adieus but never say goodbye
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Technique is the perfect synthesis of the rock-meets-electronic approach, IMO... and their best LP.
Cells&Plasma
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Cells&Plasma »

StanInBlack wrote:Technique is the perfect synthesis of the rock-meets-electronic approach, IMO... and their best LP.
Great LP...mine is Power, Corruption and Lies which I bought on release in 83.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Cells&Plasma wrote: 15 May 2021, 00:21
StanInBlack wrote:Technique is the perfect synthesis of the rock-meets-electronic approach, IMO... and their best LP.
Great LP...mine is Power, Corruption and Lies which I bought on release in 83.
I'm actually a bit 50/50 on that one! Plenty of obvious highlights - I love "Age of Consent", "The Village", "Your Silent Face", "Ecstasy" and "Leave Me Alone" but the rest does very little for me. "We All Stand" sounds to me like a textbook momentum killer, a trudge which perhaps should have been a b-side. "586" to me is a less good version of "Blue Monday" and I find "Ultraviolence" a bit nothingy.