New Order

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Hugh in Black
Rats Rally

Re: New Order

Post by Hugh in Black »

jason wrote:I quite like New Order but they are a bit bland aren't they. I always seem to skip their songs on my ipod!
Jason, seriously, what are you on?
Hughie in Black
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

I've just had a couple of Cobras at my local India Sunday buffet! But seriously, yes they are a good band but they just sound a bit samey to me sometimes. The same goes for the Bunnymen. I skip their songs a lot too!
Ribery
Rats Rally

Post by Ribery »

jason wrote:I quite like New Order but they are a bit bland aren't they. I always seem to skip their songs on my ipod!
You think they are bland ? You should have seen Joy Division live,they invented bland !
Alexinblack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Alexinblack »

I wouldnt pay £40 to see any band, even the Stranglers. I do agree Hooky not in New Order is not having JJ in the Stranglers.
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

I've just bought their Republic album on Amazon for one pence plus postage!
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

Love New Order not gettin to see em though, wouldn't say no if a ticket came my way, etc. I saw em Reading 89 when I was much younger, too young to fully appreciate and they also more or less played in my living room about 10 years ago, well a gig in Finsbury Park and I could hear everything, and it was great, but no never got to proper see em. New Order have done some great albums, my faves are between Power Corruption and Lies, Movement and Technique. That spin off Electronic weren't too bad either, a track of their's I seem to play over and over again these days 'Soviet' really gets me.

As for them all falling out with Hookey and what not, found it a bit sad after so long, ain't even really got started on Joy Division, excellent stuff all round really, even a more recent New Order album I got hold of, 'waiting for the sirens call' that had some good moments too, so yes to all things Joy Division New Order music really 8)
Hugh in Black
Rats Rally

Post by Hugh in Black »

Ribery wrote:
You think they are bland ? You should have seen Joy Division live,they invented bland !
Oh Ribery....

Did you see JD live?
Hughie in Black
davidcassell
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by davidcassell »

Big fan of NO and JD. I think NO's recent material is is less substantial that the old classic stuff, but that's familiar ground for us lot isn't it! (That said, Giants is wonderful). Some of my fave ever songs are JD/NO...Shadowplay, Transmission, Bizzare Love Triangle, Age of Consent, The Eternal and others. As for Hooky leaving the band, it's a shame, especially with such a distinctive sound, but I'm glad they're playing as NO again. Hooky's "The Light" is murdering some old classics.
Hugh in Black
Rats Rally

Post by Hugh in Black »

davidcassell wrote:Big fan of NO and JD. I think NO's recent material is is less substantial that the old classic stuff, but that's familiar ground for us lot isn't it! (That said, Giants is wonderful). Some of my fave ever songs are JD/NO...Shadowplay, Transmission, Bizzare Love Triangle, Age of Consent, The Eternal and others. As for Hooky leaving the band, it's a shame, especially with such a distinctive sound, but I'm glad they're playing as NO again. Hooky's "The Light" is murdering some old classics.
Anyone who likes NO/JD and has The Fall's TMWHE sleeve as their avatar gets big respect :wink:
Hughie in Black
Toiler On The Sea
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Toiler On The Sea »

davidcassell wrote:As for Hooky leaving the band, it's a shame, especially with such a distinctive sound.
I don't think he 'left' as such, just wasn't invited to take part in the tour :?
He did contest them using the NO name for the tour.
"They don’t come much better than The Stranglers when performing live; there is no pretence, no hiding place, just superb music"

Liverpool Sound and Vision March 8th 2013.
Alias
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by Alias »

Toiler On The Sea wrote:
davidcassell wrote:As for Hooky leaving the band, it's a shame, especially with such a distinctive sound.
I don't think he 'left' as such, just wasn't invited to take part in the tour :?
He did contest them using the NO name for the tour.

We were talking about this in the pub the other week, the guys I spoke to were happier going to see Hooky's new band
than this version of New Order.
I'm a comedian and poet, so anything that doesn't get a laugh is a poem. B.Hicks.

"Further modulation of the frequency rotation, Triggered waveband activation - near elation"

'Why are you so edgy, kid ?'
Toiler On The Sea
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Toiler On The Sea »

Alias wrote:We were talking about this in the pub the other week, the guys I spoke to were happier going to see Hooky's new band
than this version of New Order.
But Hooky's not playing as/under the JD or NO banner, he's just playing their songs.
"They don’t come much better than The Stranglers when performing live; there is no pretence, no hiding place, just superb music"

Liverpool Sound and Vision March 8th 2013.