Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Review - Jim Jones Revue, Y Niwl, And The Hangnails @ York

Post by theraven1979 »

.....@ York Fibbers 20th April 2012.

Went to this at Lammy's insistence. Last time I was @ York Fibbers was to see Captain Sensible in 1997 - Actually I tell a lie it was Hugh in 1999. After a few cheeky ales in York (would be rude not to) we made are way into the venue. I was very confused as the venue has changed a lot since I was last there. The bar is in place of where the stage used to be and the stage is on the other opposite wall. They seem to have acquired more space as well somehow.

As we enter "And the hangnails" are playing - 1 bloke on guitar with another on drums - They're not bad - in fact they kick out one hell of a racket considering there's only the 2 of them - But then, they're missing something, probably a bassist!, why not form the rest of the band and have done? Anyway they're a talented pair, the drummer particularly, who's drum sticks just form a pink mist!

Sometime later Football Focus soundtrack favourites "Y Niwl" take to the stage resplendent in Cardiff's world famous "Spillers Records" T-Shirts. I knew what to expect and I wasn't disappointed. 45 minutes worth of pure surf guitar. Someone shouts out for "Apache" - It did get a bit boring after a while truth be told.

And then Jim Jones Revue appear to large cheers from the rammed venue's sweaty audience. It's as expected, maximum rock n roll and they play maximum rock n roll for what seems like hours. Crowd are happy - I've enjoyed the live music the night before Record Store Day - seems fitting.

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"