STONE ROSES REFORMATION

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Old Angus
The Man They Love To Hate

Re: STONE ROSES REFORMATION

Post by Old Angus »

theraven1979 wrote:How old do the Stone Roses look? Ian Brown looks like Rod Hull's granny.

Jim
Really? I though he looked more like Emu's granny.
-------------------------------------------------------------
SEGONTIUM SEARCHERS

Genealogy & Local History Research Service

www.segontium.com
RetroRocket
Rats Rally

Post by RetroRocket »

LOVE THE 1ST ALBUM, WILL DEFFO (TRY TO) BUY TICKETS IF THEY COME TO LONDON!

RR
Freddie Laker
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Freddie Laker »

I'm with TBC on this one.
Loved the first album, hated the second, and probably won't be shelling out £55 to see them. :?
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

yep hype of the year really, they were OK but were NEVER anything like as good as they are made out to be, better than Oasis mind you (not that it would be that hard)
Gene Regulation
Rats Rally

Post by Gene Regulation »

Anyone that tells you they were good at Glasgow Green is either a) a liar, b) wasn't there or c) both.

The sound was abysmal & the first half hour was spent hauling cnuts off the floor, that were causing crowd collapses down the front. It was a major letdown & they were totally outclassed by the Charlatans, who played the Mayfair, a couple of night previous.

So much so, that my opinion was discarded as "something I had read" by a Roses fan on another forum.
Melody Maker Review, 16th June 1990 wrote:
I HAVE seen the future of the much-vaunted indie/club groove crossover and it gladdened my heart. I have seen hundreds of floppy fringed hormone cases flip their wigs to a sound so heavy and, hell, modern that it caught in your throat. I have seen a venue in which every punter, not just the front rows, shook themselves silly to a band of yobbish, youthful swaggering shitkickers with the future in their sweaty grasp. Unfortunately that was The Charlatans at The Mayfair last Thursday. The Stone Roses at Glasgow Green, on the other hand, poured buckets of listless sonic slurry over their over-charged, over-drugged audience in a venue that, thanks to its unique acrylic properties, literally pissed on you. It was a bad trip.

Few things in life are as billed. Tonight’s venue, Glasgow Green, is, in the main, a verdant stretch of parkland situated right in the heart of Glasgow’s post-industrial city centre. Any gig here, in the crystal shadow of the sumptuous Winter Gardens, is bound to have the angels on its side. The billowing marquee that will house tonight’s show has, however, been pitched on the site’s one blackspot, a gravel wasteland on the lip of the River Clyde. It has barely had time to recover from last week’s Big Day, and the piles of detritus form a depressing welcome for the 8000 devotees this humid Saturday evening.

The compound itself brings to mind Dante’s Second Circle Of Hell. The acrid stench of frying onions from hotdog stalls mingles queasily with dope fumes. Even though the Roses have waded through the opening “I Wanna Be Adored” and are presently occupied with an appallingly muddy “Elephant Stone”, hundreds of fans are loitering in the compound, glassy-eyed, dehydrated, maybe demoralised by the mumbling, muffle output from the PA. Smiley faces in the “O” sweeten the sign announcing tee-shirts at £10 a throw.

Inside the tent, it’s Tardis time. From the outside, the construction looked like a quaint, turreted plastic fun castle. Inside, however, the dimensions are roughly congruent with the worst of Britain’s converted aircraft hangers and conference centres. Only the unmistakeable kinetic contours of Ian Brown’s Supermarionation stage shuffle prove that the dots in the next postcode are the real Manc-coy and not some scam-friendly imposters.

Inside, of course, it’s a sauna set to music. The thousands who brave the crippling humidity obviously consider this no bad thing and rapturously receive a perfunctory run-through of the set premiered in Stockholm and consolidated on Spike Island, ie: all the hits, “One Love”, “Something’s Burning” and a “Fools Gold” that segues into “Where Angels Play”.

As has come to be expected, the band are on autopilot, both distant and distanced from the school-kids and unwaged urchins who have blown a month’s spending money on this shindig. The only words uttered by Brown all evening are the “Ta!” that follows “Waterfall”. His one unscripted action is to hold a “Stone Roses at Glasgow Green” tee-shirt aloft during “Sally Cinnamon”. Bad venue, bad sound, bad attitude.

As Everett True noted, apropos Spike Island, the fineries of punter-satisfaction and professional pride are mere bagatelles to the Roses these days. Doing it is of no importance to them, but rubbing their success into the faces of the doubters and sceptics is.

What we came across more than anything else tonight, though, was the band’s ennui with even this pettiest of satisfactions. Why bother going to the trouble of avoiding traditional rock touring habits when all you have to offer your relocated audience is a dose of Sex Pistols surliness to the power of 10? Even the Pistols cared passionately about not caring. The Stone Roses, however, can’t even motivate themselves that far. They may well be our first true post-modern pop band, in that the cumulative ebbs and flows of culture have sapped them of any vestige of real emotion or opinion. When every rock stance and icon has been permutated into infinity, the only attitude left is resignation.

The Stone Roses are, in reality, little more than the sound of a sigh made flesh. How else do you explain the airy ambivalence of their music, of Squire’s untethered, over-chorused guitar lines, Brown’s wandering whines or the druggy, Floydian pointilistic new material? The claim that the band have now nailed their colours firmly to the mast of club culture were similarly blasted into atoms by The Charlatans gig, by the sight of a band so wired they made the Roses look opportunistic by comparison. Just as the Roses came along and made Morrissey the relic he is, The Charlatans will in time show how risibly unmotivated and stupefied The Stone Roses really are. Tonight was more blind man’s zoo than rock ‘n’ roll circus. If we’re lucky it might turn out to be the night The Stone Roses finally Topped themselves.
Whilst their debut album was one of the best of its time, I wouldn't even put them in a top 5 of their peers, live.

Best of luck to those who are going this time, I hope your dreams aren't shattered. But don't say you weren't warned.

Oh, & the fake t-shirts being punted outside, were better than the "official" stuff in.
TAFKA TrampinBlack
APOLLO79
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by APOLLO79 »

Gene Regulation wrote:Anyone that tells you they were good at Glasgow Green is either a) a liar, b) wasn't there or c) both.

The sound was abysmal & the first half hour was spent hauling cnuts off the floor, that were causing crowd collapses down the front. It was a major letdown & they were totally outclassed by the Charlatans, who played the Mayfair, a couple of night previous.

So much so, that my opinion was discarded as "something I had read" by a Roses fan on another forum.
Melody Maker Review, 16th June 1990 wrote:
I HAVE seen the future of the much-vaunted indie/club groove crossover and it gladdened my heart. I have seen hundreds of floppy fringed hormone cases flip their wigs to a sound so heavy and, hell, modern that it caught in your throat. I have seen a venue in which every punter, not just the front rows, shook themselves silly to a band of yobbish, youthful swaggering shitkickers with the future in their sweaty grasp. Unfortunately that was The Charlatans at The Mayfair last Thursday. The Stone Roses at Glasgow Green, on the other hand, poured buckets of listless sonic slurry over their over-charged, over-drugged audience in a venue that, thanks to its unique acrylic properties, literally pissed on you. It was a bad trip.

Few things in life are as billed. Tonight’s venue, Glasgow Green, is, in the main, a verdant stretch of parkland situated right in the heart of Glasgow’s post-industrial city centre. Any gig here, in the crystal shadow of the sumptuous Winter Gardens, is bound to have the angels on its side. The billowing marquee that will house tonight’s show has, however, been pitched on the site’s one blackspot, a gravel wasteland on the lip of the River Clyde. It has barely had time to recover from last week’s Big Day, and the piles of detritus form a depressing welcome for the 8000 devotees this humid Saturday evening.

The compound itself brings to mind Dante’s Second Circle Of Hell. The acrid stench of frying onions from hotdog stalls mingles queasily with dope fumes. Even though the Roses have waded through the opening “I Wanna Be Adored” and are presently occupied with an appallingly muddy “Elephant Stone”, hundreds of fans are loitering in the compound, glassy-eyed, dehydrated, maybe demoralised by the mumbling, muffle output from the PA. Smiley faces in the “O” sweeten the sign announcing tee-shirts at £10 a throw.

Inside the tent, it’s Tardis time. From the outside, the construction looked like a quaint, turreted plastic fun castle. Inside, however, the dimensions are roughly congruent with the worst of Britain’s converted aircraft hangers and conference centres. Only the unmistakeable kinetic contours of Ian Brown’s Supermarionation stage shuffle prove that the dots in the next postcode are the real Manc-coy and not some scam-friendly imposters.

Inside, of course, it’s a sauna set to music. The thousands who brave the crippling humidity obviously consider this no bad thing and rapturously receive a perfunctory run-through of the set premiered in Stockholm and consolidated on Spike Island, ie: all the hits, “One Love”, “Something’s Burning” and a “Fools Gold” that segues into “Where Angels Play”.

As has come to be expected, the band are on autopilot, both distant and distanced from the school-kids and unwaged urchins who have blown a month’s spending money on this shindig. The only words uttered by Brown all evening are the “Ta!” that follows “Waterfall”. His one unscripted action is to hold a “Stone Roses at Glasgow Green” tee-shirt aloft during “Sally Cinnamon”. Bad venue, bad sound, bad attitude.

As Everett True noted, apropos Spike Island, the fineries of punter-satisfaction and professional pride are mere bagatelles to the Roses these days. Doing it is of no importance to them, but rubbing their success into the faces of the doubters and sceptics is.

What we came across more than anything else tonight, though, was the band’s ennui with even this pettiest of satisfactions. Why bother going to the trouble of avoiding traditional rock touring habits when all you have to offer your relocated audience is a dose of Sex Pistols surliness to the power of 10? Even the Pistols cared passionately about not caring. The Stone Roses, however, can’t even motivate themselves that far. They may well be our first true post-modern pop band, in that the cumulative ebbs and flows of culture have sapped them of any vestige of real emotion or opinion. When every rock stance and icon has been permutated into infinity, the only attitude left is resignation.

The Stone Roses are, in reality, little more than the sound of a sigh made flesh. How else do you explain the airy ambivalence of their music, of Squire’s untethered, over-chorused guitar lines, Brown’s wandering whines or the druggy, Floydian pointilistic new material? The claim that the band have now nailed their colours firmly to the mast of club culture were similarly blasted into atoms by The Charlatans gig, by the sight of a band so wired they made the Roses look opportunistic by comparison. Just as the Roses came along and made Morrissey the relic he is, The Charlatans will in time show how risibly unmotivated and stupefied The Stone Roses really are. Tonight was more blind man’s zoo than rock ‘n’ roll circus. If we’re lucky it might turn out to be the night The Stone Roses finally Topped themselves.
Whilst their debut album was one of the best of its time, I wouldn't even put them in a top 5 of their peers, live.

Best of luck to those who are going this time, I hope your dreams aren't shattered. But don't say you weren't warned.

Oh, & the fake t-shirts being punted outside, were better than the "official" stuff in.
Brother Robb quotes the Green gig as one of their best....and I totally agree with your words Gene.
Anyone that tells you they were good at Glasgow Green is either a) a liar, b) wasn't there or c) both.

The sound was abysmal & the first half hour was spent hauling cnuts off the floor, that were causing crowd collapses down the front. It was a major letdown & they were totally outclassed by the Charlatans, who played the Mayfair, a couple of night previous. :smt023

My recollection of the gig was unable to move,hear,or piss...ok I was pretty far gone but what a let down.Ian Brown is one of the
worst live vocalists ever!Over 21 years later I can't recall anything positive about the gig apart from leaving! :smt009
'Can i have my mic stand back please?You might do yourself an injury and get it stuck in somewhere'
s.harris
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by s.harris »

Here is the Glasgow Gig http://www.megaupload.com/?d=724MPQCT

All the best

Shauninblack
'Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining'
APOLLO79
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by APOLLO79 »

Downloading...
'Can i have my mic stand back please?You might do yourself an injury and get it stuck in somewhere'
Five Minutes
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Five Minutes »

NOT LONG NOW

8)
Last time I came here a friend of mine just got triple-jacked over a steeplehammer and jessop jessop jessop jessop jessop