Lemmy The Movie

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Lemmy The Movie

Post by Jake »

I watched this on BBC4 the other night and I was surprised by how much I liked it. I read Lemmy's biog 'White line fever' a few years ago and thought it was shit if I am honest, I don't think Lemmy's that well suited to the world of literature, the film on the other hand was a great insight and very entertaining from start to finish. I didn't think too much of the vocal on 'Overkill' at the end, sounded very creepy like a very old geezer singing, but the passion was still there I guess.

Is Lemmy god? Well no not to me, he's not even a hero of mine or anything, but it’s hard not to admire the guy somewhat. He has some great stories to tell, that's what I thought was lacking in the book; he seemed to devote the book to tales of how many barely legal 'chick's he'd fucked on every other page and that gets tedious after a while. I was kinda expecting the same in the film, but far from it, a great Rock'n'Roll story shall we say....

LEMMY!, LEMMY!, LEMMY! 8) :lol:
Burn e 77
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Re: Lemmy The Movie

Post by Burn e 77 »

When i was at the first Purple Helmets gig at Dingwalls (Camden, London) Lemmy was there, playing the friut machine for the duration of the gig!
Burn e 77
Something better change!
mantheylovetohate
The Raven
The Raven

Post by mantheylovetohate »

Saw this film the other week and found it a bit disappointing to be honest. Numerous shots of his lighting a fag or drinking and not much else. He wouldn't even talk about his drug use which is a pretty important part of his life and one of the reasons he is legendary. At least they didn't dwell on his collecting of Nazi shit although the footage of him in the tank was a bit suspect. In the end, he came across as a pretty sad case IMHO. At least Sensible & Vanian were a breath of fresh air compared to the numerous US heavy rockers bowing smoke up his arse... The film told you very little about his story, unlike Oil City Confidential for example, and was more about Lemmy as a metal hero.
Did someone say "Wonky"?
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

Burn e 77 wrote:When i was at the first Purple Helmets gig at Dingwalls (Camden, London) Lemmy was there, playing the friut machine for the duration of the gig!
Burn e 77
Yeah you'll find Lemmy on a one arm bandit more than with a groupie round his arm :lol: On that subject, I've got a mate who reckons that Lemmy was being a right dick coming on to a female friend who just wasn't interested, and it got quite heated. I think it was at the Hippodrome Piccadilly, where Lemmy was renowned for hanging out all the time before he moved to LA. Am I right in thinking the Purple Helmets played a gig at the Hippodrome also?
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

mantheylovetohate wrote: In the end, he came across as a pretty sad case IMHO.
Trust me he didn't come over as anything like as sad as he does in his book, which is probably a big part of why I enjoyed the film. Agree with some of your other points,like the Nazi regalia he don't have talk some bollocks,; 'The SS were the first rock'n'rollers', what a load of old shit!
s.harris
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by s.harris »

He got The Beatles Mono Box set, if he puts it down in his house, he wont find it for a year :shock: :shock:
'Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining'
Alexinblack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Alexinblack »

I thought the film was oright.
Toiler On The Sea
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Toiler On The Sea »

Watched it last night on iPlayer, thoroughly enjoyed it.
The thing is, most peoples lives are on the whole boring, including his.
It's what happens and how often when it isn't that's the difference.

As he says "I'm Lemmy, I'm not qualified to do anything else".

As he is 'Famous', his house will probably be turned into a museum, if it was a 'mortals' it'd all be thrown in the skip by bin men who'd be making fun of the Silly Buggar that couldn't throw anything away.
"They don’t come much better than The Stranglers when performing live; there is no pretence, no hiding place, just superb music"

Liverpool Sound and Vision March 8th 2013.
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

Some nice gear though Toiler, nazi regalia not withstanding of course :grin:
gizzard
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by gizzard »

I thought the film was excellent!

I have also now been roped into going to see them in November on their UK tour, anyone got any ear plugs :?:
''I THINK THE STRANGLERS ARE CRIMINALLY VULGAR, VIOLENT AND VORACIOUS, AND I OFTEN WONDER HOW THEY GET AWAY WITH IT.''
manticore
Ugly
Ugly

Post by manticore »

resisted watching it on bbc4 and got the dvd for a fiver on amazon.a lot of extras on it.well worth £5.
dont get your trossachs caught in your sporran
Bobinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Bobinblack »

Liked the bloke for a long time, never mad on Motorhead though - saw them early 80s I think, in the now a car park shithole that was Queens Hall in Leeds. The thing I HATED about the band was exactly what happened in the film - they turned the already deafening shit UP, I thought 'Ive paid good money to see this band and they're ruining their own music just to be hard'.

Ace Of Spades will never be bettered for an instant pop heavy rock hit 8)

Enjoyed the film, bit disappointed to not hear anything really about Fast Eddie or Philthy Phil Taylor though, what was the score with Phil, anyone know?
Think I'll go for a stroll in the trees.