Morrissey's new songs....

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Morrissey's new songs....

Post by Jake »

Are fucking excellent, well two of the three on the Janice Long session recently broadcast and both played at Glastonbury; ‘People are the same everywhere’ and ‘Action is my middle name’, both top notch songs, ‘the boys a looker’ is more of a grower so far, but those two are superb, among his best I'd say. It’s a shame the quality of the Jancie session I found isn't that great, maybe someone has a better copy???? :grin:

Morrissey on getting a record contract these days

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2011/ju ... NTCMP=SRCH

these kind of issues are being discussed in the stranglers new album thread, but would be a shame to not get a release out soon, if I was Mozza I'd take a gamble/risk which he accusses (rightly so) the record companies of failing to do these days and do a few singles over the course of a year, release them independently and then do an album. Singles worked well for him 89/90 between Viva Hate and Kill Uncle, mind you he was a lot younger then and record companies worked in very different ways, none the less some of Morrissey's finest moments have been non album tracks.

EDIT- on second thoughts maybe not such a great idea with the singles, as an album is ready he just wants to release music the way he likes to, ot at all into doing a Hooverdam that's for sure ;-)

It's not the best quality ever but I found a link to Mozza's Janice Long session, via one of the many Morrissey forums:
http://www.morrissey-solo.com/threads/1 ... nbury-2011

Incidentally Morrissey has waged a bit of a war on that said Forum and Mike Joyce wasn't too blown away by his 'Smiths covers', all good to see a buzz around Morrissey again, just hope we get a proper new release soon, would be nice if I had got to see him this summer as well, still Glastonbury on the TV and the Janice Long session was much better than a 'kick in the eye' (NB, did Morrissey plagarise Bauhaus with that lyric)

well been meaning to start a Morrissey dedicated thread and I hope this turns out to be quite a discussion of appreciation on Morrissey's music
gizzard
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Re: Morrissey's new songs....

Post by gizzard »

I like all three, on first hearing I thought 'The Kids A looker' was the weakest but it was grown on me quite a bit with more plays and it's now my favourite 8)
Like your goodself I have been playing loads of Mozzer stuff recently, just can't get enough of him.

Smiths/Morrissey are my second fave artist after a certain band, just hope the great man gets a record deal and his new album sees the light of day.
''I THINK THE STRANGLERS ARE CRIMINALLY VULGAR, VIOLENT AND VORACIOUS, AND I OFTEN WONDER HOW THEY GET AWAY WITH IT.''
Dom P
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by Dom P »

Yeah I heard the Glastonbury set and was very impressed. Listening to it again as it goes. Must admit to not being too up with his solo stuff. I was into the Smiths in 83 to 85 saw them a couple of times, then fell out of love when Queen is Dead came out... I bought the album with Last of The Gang to Die, liked that. But his Glastonbury show was brill!
"I think you guys are going to have to come up with some wonderful new lies, or people just aren't going to want to go on living." -- Slaughterhouse-Five
Five Minutes
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Five Minutes »

Almost 25 years since I went to this. :shock:
Last time I came here a friend of mine just got triple-jacked over a steeplehammer and jessop jessop jessop jessop jessop
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

nice one as ever gizzard, Dom I can't understand falling out of love when the Queen is Dead came out, one of their best album IMHO, 5 Mins what I can say lucky man :grin:
gizzard
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by gizzard »

Guys,

Check out this site -

http://www.smithstorrents.co.uk

Managed to d/l some great audio and video stuff from here. 8)
''I THINK THE STRANGLERS ARE CRIMINALLY VULGAR, VIOLENT AND VORACIOUS, AND I OFTEN WONDER HOW THEY GET AWAY WITH IT.''
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

cheers Gizzard, haven't rea;;y fathomed or rather gone there with Torrents myself, so life a bit more simpler with this one http://www.illnessasart.com/ except at the moment it only has smiths from 83/84 still better than a kick in the eye :smile:
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

A point of interest
Stranglers, The

They have a song called "Dagenham Dave", but there is no reason to believe it had any influence on the creation of Morrissey's song of the same name. Morrissey has never otherwise mentioned the Stranglers.
from http://passionsjustlikemine.com/influence-music.htm

great website, really full of hours and hours of info.

No one really picked up my post on the Glasto 2011 thread where I conveyed the fact I've long been of the opinion Morrissey, who is in the closet about many things (more than likely), is in all likliehood a bit of a closet stranglers fan, though he would probably never admit it. In the glasto thread, I mention the keyboard player sounded a bit stranglers at times..... and the bass player had a touch of JJ at times, I find something very JJ about the opening bass riff on 'One day Goodbye will be Farewell' from Mozza's last studio LP 'Years of Refusal'. I've also been finding myself thinking stranglers a lot for some reason with 'I'm throwing my arms around Paris' which reminds me of 'triumph of the big city' from JJ's Euroman, admitedly just for the opening sample of a bike engine, but there you go. Imagine Morrissey covering a stranglers song, doubt it would happen, but would sure be a lot of fun to listen to, or maybe the stranglers covering 'everyday is like sunday', OK I'll get me coat :smt006 8) :lol:
Blackbeered
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Blackbeered »

Will hopefully get to hear the new stuff live when myself and Gizz go to see him in Brixton on August 7th. Tickets on sale in just under nine hours time............ 8) :grin:
Bring me a piece of my mummy, she was quite close to me........
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

Blackbeered wrote:Will hopefully get to hear the new stuff live when myself and Gizz go to see him in Brixton on August 7th. Tickets on sale in just under nine hours time............ 8) :grin:
I thought tickets don't go on sale til 12 on Friday the 8th :smt017
gizzard
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by gizzard »

Jake wrote:
Blackbeered wrote:Will hopefully get to hear the new stuff live when myself and Gizz go to see him in Brixton on August 7th. Tickets on sale in just under nine hours time............ 8) :grin:
Me too Jake :roll:

I did have a call from a certain Blackbeered earlier saying he had tried to get tickets just after 9.00 this morning :oops: :roll:

Can't get enough of Moz at the mo! Currently listening to a bootleg album called 'Revelation' , it contains rare previously unreleased tracks. 8)
Blackbeered
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Blackbeered »

Jake wrote:
Yeah, my mistake.........getting ahead of myself, wishing for Friday I suppose :roll:
Bring me a piece of my mummy, she was quite close to me........