JJ + POLYPHONIC SIZE live in Brussels 18 08 2011

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Détective Privé
The Man They Love To Hate

JJ + POLYPHONIC SIZE live in Brussels 18 08 2011

Post by Détective Privé »

JJ and Polyphonic Size will be together on stage in Brussels on August 18th, as part of the Brussels Summer Festival.
JJ will sing a couple of PSize tracks + some surprises...

Venue : Le Mont Des Arts
Time : 20h30
Capacity : 7000 people

They will also give a warm-up gig somewhere in town a couple of days before (date and venue unknown so far).

http://www.bsf.be

More infos ASAP.
Cheers !
DP
You're my incurable malady
I miss the pleasure of your company
womaninblack
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Re: JJ + POLYPHONIC SIZE live in Brussels 18 08 2011

Post by womaninblack »

I'll be there! :smt006 :smt006
un jour parfait
Détective Privé

13 days left now before the show. I've heard from good authorities that they will play some real special tracks with JJ... Can't say more for the moment. The Brussels Summer Festival is a kind of huge event in the center of the city, so it should be a great concert. :smt112
Détective Privé

Just come back from the show. Heavy rain, but great gig. JJ sang 3 Polyphonic Size tracks (Je T'ai Toujours Aimée / Walking Class Hero / Winston & Julia) + :grin: Do The European + European female. Well, it's getting late, I think I'll post a full review tomorrow. Cheers ! :grin:
DP
Attachments
jjpsize-bsf2011-2.jpg
jjpsize-bsf2011-2.jpg (105.78 KiB) Viewed 2046 times
jjpsize-bsf2011.jpg
jjpsize-bsf2011.jpg (79.2 KiB) Viewed 2046 times
Burn e 77
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Burn e 77 »

Détective Privé wrote:Just come back from the show. Heavy rain, but great gig. JJ sang 3 Polyphonic Size tracks (Je T'ai Toujours Aimée / Walking Class Hero / Winston & Julia) + :grin: Do The European + European female. Well, it's getting late, I think I'll post a full review tomorrow. Cheers ! :grin:
DP
Good Photo's look forward to your review.
Burn e 77
Something better change!
Détective Privé

Actually, there were not one, but 2 shows. The first one was the day before the festival, in a recording studio called Studio Dada. Kind of private warm-up gig, with about 150 guests. It was a good one, but the venue was just a rehearsal room, without a real stage, so many people could hardly see the band. JJ was there, and sang 5 songs : Je T'ai Toujours Aimée / Walking Class Hero / Do The European / European Female and Winston & Julia. I guess he hasn't sung Do The European since the Euroman Cometh tour in 1979, am I wrong ? Great version, with JJ improvising some kind of dance with Jill :smt007 ! You can see a video here :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEzO1yyRHkE

So here's the festival. It's called Brussels Summer Festival, but I think they will probably rename it Brussels Rainy Festival next year. We had a terrible storm in Belgium just a couple of hours before the show, and you've probably heard about what happened at the Pukklepop Festival. :shock: Nothing like that in Brussels, fortunately, but many people couldn't go to the show because roads were closed, or packed in awful traffic jams, or just because of the rain. So the audience was about a few hundreds, maybe 500 people at the most.

Anyway, Polyphonic Size hit the stage at 20h 30. The band played with 2 video screens behind them (courtesy of Karl Bartos, who was playing just after PSize, and kindly lent his equipment). Eric Peereman, long time friend of the band, directed them. The concert was divided in 2 parts : first one was PSize, second one PSize + JJ. Roger-Marc was in top form, and the band gave stunning versions of Action Man and Le Rocker de la CIA. Other highlight was IMO Night is Coming On, in a new version, much better than in Lessines, last April. The sound was just great.

And now... JJ ! "Well, is it Brussels wet t-shirt contest ?" He said (OK, easy joke). He starts with Je T'ai Toujours Aimée. Beautiful love song. Too bad most of you don't understand french, 'cause Dominique Buxin really writes great lyrics (he also wrote Détective Privé, Le Whiskey and some other JJ songs). Walking Class Hero follows, with JJ and Roger-Marc singing together. Do The European : Waooo. I must confess I have a special feeling for that one, because the video images on stage during that song were nothing but my personnal drawings. Nice experience, believe me. :grin:
European female follows, with Alice (20 years old !) on lead guitar. Last song was Winston & Julia. A Polyphonic Size classic.
No encore, because it's time for the next event : Karl Bartos. The man was part of Kraftwerk for quite a long time (1975-1990), and co-wrote many of the band classic tracks. Stunning performance, featuring about 2/3 KW material and 1/3 solo stuff. If you like Kraftwerk, don't miss him. :grin:
All in all, a great night, despite the rain, and the missing people.
Cheers !
DP
Attachments
jjpsize-bsf2011-5.jpg
jjpsize-bsf2011-5.jpg (70.45 KiB) Viewed 2012 times
Manc In Black
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Manc In Black »

Brill video DP - appreciated
Believe the Euroman really shold do another solo tour - long overdue

Also watched the Psize / JJ video that comes up on the sidebar
Never seen that

Great post
on on on on
Established 11 September 1974
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Thanks DP - our man on the scene! - Look the review but I'm especially loving JJ's "Dad dance" routine. If JJ was the one who walked out of The Stranglers I guess this is what you'd probably get.

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
paul b

Post by paul b »

give the man a guitar for fucks sake :lol: :lol: :lol:
"i'd crawl over 50 good pussies just to get to 1 fat boys asshole"
Barracuda
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by Barracuda »

THANKS FOR POSTING ,LOOKING FORWARD TO THEM AT CONVENTION .....
evonx
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by evonx »

Great stuff Merci bien!
--eric--
i was attracted by a night torchlight parade
and there i came
womaninblack
VERSATRAN SERIES F