I love vinyl thread

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

I love vinyl thread

Post by Jake »

I don't know if this has been done before but wanted to set up an opportunity to talk all things vinyl.

I'll get the ball rolling by saying my neighbour gave me a stack of vinyl's some great stuff like Joy Division, Undertones and Blondie, some not so great like Bay City Rollers and Lulu. Anyway they had been sitting in a cellar gathering dust and in some cases mould. I've been cleaning them and found a good, cheap and cheerful way of cleaning them, as seen here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VSv-Sfd ... re=related.
I used Sainsbury’s window cleaner and it’s worked a treat. I was helping out at the music department in Oxfam a few years back, the guy there who ran a record shop was using washing up liquid but I found that a bit hit or miss when I’ve tried it at home. The window cleaner method is more cost effective than the stuff some record shops sell for a tenner a go to be frank, but I got to say I am totally sceptical about this young lady's method of cleaning a vinyl http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79n68mfai4Q

Anyway that's me getting this discussion on all things vinyl started. I am leading on for anyone who has tips of various ways to convert vinyl to MP3 format please :?: :grin:
Rockula
The Raven
The Raven

Re: I love vinyl thread

Post by Rockula »

I bought a vinyl deck that converts to mp3 by using a USB storage stick and doesn't need iTunes (which for me is a great bonus 'cause I hate Apple software). You can also play and copy direct from CD and cassette players which are also included in the unit (in fact, two cassette players in case you want tape to tape copies). And a radio thrown in. Basically an old-fashioned 'music centre' but with mp3 recording bonus. And the CD player will play mp3 discs so you can play about 12 hours on one CD if you want.

Just play, record, unplug the storage stick and plug it into the computer. Done.

You can edit with basic software that comes with every computer.

So, my old vinyl and tapes came back out of the loft blinking confusedly into the light.

It's called a Steepletone SMC386 by the way. Costs vary from £150 - £200.

Sounds so good I think I'll buy one...oh....I did. :lol:

Ps. I swear I don't work for the company or an electrical goods retailer.
ManInBrown
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

that sounds very tastey Rockula, don't forget to use the vinyl cleaning methods recommended for any of those attic bound vinyls that have gathered too much dirt and dust. Mind you saying all this about MP3 conversion its simply to play on the go, you just can't beat the sound of a good olde vinyl spinning :smile:
adam_neil
Ugly
Ugly

Post by adam_neil »

i love vinyl too, vinyl flooring is so amazing
Tried to wipe you from my memory
I miss the pleasure of your company
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

Yes adam whatever turns you on mate :lol:
Rockula
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Rockula »

When I have a really, really old scratchy record that's on it's last legs and unlikely to play many more times I run it under the tap, play it wet and record it. Risking electrocution of course but I usually get a decent recording.

I'm sure that'll have vinyl purists and professionals pulling thier hair out but it works for me. :lol:
ManInBrown
Bobinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Bobinblack »

Vinyl records (and flooring, for the perverted :P ) are and always will be ace. Must admit, I was always a saddo with coloured vinyl especially, but the whole packaging you get, mainly albums obviously, is a ton better than the CD beast. True, if they're scratched it can be a real annoyance but overall, I think the sound on vinyl is just as good as CD, which will probably annoy the purists as well :grin:
Think I'll go for a stroll in the trees.
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

All true what you say bobinblack, though the odd bit of crackle is what gives a vinyl its character, its unique DNA even or is that going a bit of far. I think Massive Attack made quite a statement on their 1998 Mezzanine album featuring the sound of vinyl crackle in the mix, it made a lot of us realise how much we miss our vinyl's 8)